Xtratime Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well though it is only temporary as they said, Portugal has choosen an interim trio to replace Oliveira.
Lisbon, Portugal (Sports Network) - The Portugal Football Federation has appointed a trio of interim coaches as a stop-gap measure while the country finds a permanent replacement for Antonio Oliveira, who was sacked after Portugal crashed out of the World Cup.

Jose Romao, Rui Cacador and Agostinho Oliveira are expected to be in charge for the friendly against Sweden in October.

Romao was part of Oliveira's back-room staff at the World Cup, where shock defeats to the USA and South Korea ended Portugal's dream in the first round.

Negotiations on Oliveira's pay-off, meanwhile, are ongoing.

"The Portuguese football federation (FPF) is working to bring this to a friendly conclusion, giving full respect to what Oliveira represents both as a man and a professional," said FPF president Gilberto Mahail.

"Oliveira's successor will be nominated by the future FPF board, but Oliveira's case will be resolved under my direction."

With Portugal hosting Euro 2004, and therefore qualifying as host, there is no immediate rush to appoint Oliveira's successor.

06/28 09:15:33 ET

Got this information form The Sports Network

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I also retrieved the UEFA.com version

Portugal appoint temporary successors

Friday 28 June 2002

The Portuguese Football Federation (FPF) have appointed Jose Romao and Rui Cacador as temporary joint coaches of the national team following the dismissal of António Oliveira on Wednesday.

Oliveira's assistants
Both men served as assistant coaches to Oliveira during Portugal's ill-fated 2002 FIFA World Cup campaign and have been given a caretaker role which they are expected to take until at least August when the FPF's elections are scheduled to take place. They could even remain in charge until 30 November - the date when the FPF's accounts for the financial year are closed - as the president of the federation's general assembly, Masquita Machado, wants to postpone the elections until after then.

No immediate decisions
"I think that is for the best that we have elections only after the FPF accounts are closed," said Machado. "This means we are able to avoid any possible doubts. I have demanded that the FPF send me the information after they finish that report." Machado has also asked current FPF vice-president Amandio de Carvalho not to make a decision on the new coach until after the elections. Carvalho said: "We will not hire a national coach before the elections."

Closing date
FPF regulations state that accounts should be closed on 30 November, but Carvalho promised that everything will be done to anticipate the accounts report.

Oh yea I believe I've hit 500 posts with this topic, 501 now, I'm finally a Star Player :cry::cry::cry:

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Well done Soccer Star you truly are a "star" now.
Congrates

1 - 3 of 3 Posts