Xtratime Community banner
41 - 60 of 201 Posts

· Honorable Mention, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
21,020 Posts
colocolo said:
My "illegal" went belly up almost 3 yrs ago..After that legal or nothinn ...When you're at the Mercy of the Illegal pushers of Sat Systems, they got you by the balls !!! :shades:
I do it on my own. I get my brother that is living there to buy a normal direct tv subscription and then he ships me the crad and receiver, I install a dish here and connect the two. I pay my brother for the subscription and I smile at all the football. But I wish I get ESPN Deportes, it would be a lot cheaper.

· Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
Colo Colo
98,750 Posts
That is basically what every Colombian living in S Fla do...Get the sub there, install it here and bingo, but the colombian feed sucks big time..Eventually ESPN Deportes Which was to debut on DirectV Para Todos, over a yr ago !!! Will make it to the Sat providers..Its a matter of time now !!! ;)

· Registered
4,324 Posts
What a difference 4 years makes

When I joined this Board 4 years ago, was mainly to meet other US soccer fans that were complaining about the lack of Footie on the Telly. US natl team games were not televised so others would get the minuet by minuet transcripts and post them here, or if they were lucky enough to purchase it on PPV they would keep us updated here.

I find it still hard to believe that we have people here that wont remember a time when the WC wasnt telivised at all. Or when it was the match was interupted every 15 minuets for a commercial, they would come back and you missed a goal. :rolleyes:
And yes our commentators would spend more time explaining the rules of the game then play by play.
I remember a match in the 96 wc on ABC where they were explaining the rules of a goal kick meanwhile the kick was taken and a goal was scored while they were explaining the kick. No emotion and no passion. Many of us tuned into Telemundo to watch the games.

Now I may not get to see an EPL side in the CL match every week, or Spain play Hungry. But I do get to see a CL match and I now see the US in every International match they play. I can turn on my telly every day and watch footie, and if you go back just 4 years ago that was not possable.

· Honorable Mention, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
21,020 Posts
That is a great post PM, I tell my friends in Spain that I get to watch more football in the USA than I did in Spain, they have a hard time believing. Spain was not very good when it came to football on tv, even the WC, was all pay per view except the Spain games and the semis and final:rolleyes: I had a hard time getting EPL, Serie A, etc. The CL was only the Spanish teams and nothing else (the semis and final were televised)

In the USA I get more football than I care to see:eek: (Never thought I would say that)

Now, write to Direct TV and ask for ESPN Deportes:mad:

· Banned
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
PAULMAY said:
What a difference 4 years makes

When I joined this Board 4 years ago, was mainly to meet other US soccer fans that were complaining about the lack of Footie on the Telly. US natl team games were not televised so others would get the minuet by minuet transcripts and post them here, or if they were lucky enough to purchase it on PPV they would keep us updated here.

I find it still hard to believe that we have people here that wont remember a time when the WC wasnt telivised at all. Or when it was the match was interupted every 15 minuets for a commercial, they would come back and you missed a goal. :rolleyes:
And yes our commentators would spend more time explaining the rules of the game then play by play.
I remember a match in the 96 wc on ABC where they were explaining the rules of a goal kick meanwhile the kick was taken and a goal was scored while they were explaining the kick. No emotion and no passion. Many of us tuned into Telemundo to watch the games.

Now I may not get to see an EPL side in the CL match every week, or Spain play Hungry. But I do get to see a CL match and I now see the US in every International match they play. I can turn on my telly every day and watch footie, and if you go back just 4 years ago that was not possable.
Wow, there was a World Cup in 96, Paul? I seriously missed something. :eekani:

Seriously, great post, as it reminds us of a time when we were not so lucky to be able to see so much great football all of the time.

My first experiences to European football were through my aunt's house. She was relatively wealthy so she had Fox Sports World in it's early days, and every time I would go there I would watch it for hours, just hoping to catch a game and delighting in every moment I got to see. It was just so good, these players were doing things I didn't think were possible. I was only 10 or 11 when I started watching, and had only been playing organised football for about three years, so I still knew very little. It was a wonderful learning experience.

I began to thirst more and more for the games, but it's not like I could live there. ;) I would go to her house after church whenever I could, spend the night there on Mondays, and go there if I was sick. However, I could never get there as often as I wanted. But being the wonderful lady she was, she often taped games from the Premiership or Serie A (old indeed!) for me, and sometimes MLS and US National Team games on ESPN2. She never gave me very many tapes, but the ones I have I remember so well. I would watch the games over and over again, study it meticulously. It's one of the reason's I'm a good player now, because I loved watching it so much that I just kind of picked up little and big things from watching them play. I even remember the games she'd tape, I watched them so much.

Leicester City 2 - 0 Liverpool in the year the Reds won the Mickey Mouse treble, Ade Akinbiyi and Muzzy Izzet were the scorers, and I used to love to wear my collars flipped up like Izzet did after he scored. (Not knowing of Cantona) I remember a Lazio versus Brescia game at Brescia where Brescia had just come off of thise 2-2 draw with Fiorentina when Baggio scored two goals. On the day Dario Huvner had many chances but missed them all and it was 0-0 at half time when my uncle changed the channel to some movie. I also had old MLS games, the likes. It was an absolute blast.

I remember full well a time when football wasn't so big here, but I still have amazing old memories from it. Holland 2 - 1 Argentina in 98 is one of my fondest memories, I remember running out in my yard to tell my dad about the goal Bergkamp scored, and talking with a Yugoslavian friend of ours two years later about it.

I remember the final, but not all of it! I remember Zidane's first goal, and how I was the only kid in the neighborhood supporting France, as in America everyone loves Brasil (And Manchester United.) Amazingly enough, I left after the Zizou header to go play kickball with a friend of mine! We tried to get our mates to play with us, but they were all watching the World Cup Final. For some reason, I didn't care! :( I still caught Blanc's last goal, although for years I thought he'd shot it from 40 yards for some reason. However on a tape I watched in 7th grade it confirmed it was the edge of the box, not halfway. I also remember Brasil's games versus Chile, when Ronaldo hit the bar when it would have been his hat trick, and the look his girlfriend had when they showed a replay of her. I remember the dissapointment of the loss to Germany, and I remember Brasil's wonderful game versus...Denmark? in the quarterfinals. That was a time when Brasil drew better than the USA on the telly.

I remember the nervousness everyone experienced when the American coverage was by no means guaranteed for 2002, the joy I got when I realised we would get it, and the pains I had to struggle through to get my parents to get cable so we'd have ESPN and ESPN2 for the World Cup. I remember waking up early to watch Senegal versus France, and dancing along with milloions of Senegalese people when the goal was scored. Unfortunately, I had to go before the game was over! That whole month was an amazing blur for me, as I watched every game of the tournament live, and thus destroyed my body. I remember screaming at our local ABC affiliate when they decided to air the FINAL tape-delayed because they "thought they'd get better numbers." The horror was terrible. Still a wonderful time in my life, to get to see so much football so often.

My best memories from the tournament will always be the American experiences though. I remember screaming at my dad at 3:00 in the morning that the USA was in front, and waking him up again every time we scored...he was so testy the next day. But still, I remember the next few days being surreal in the amazement of winning the match against a team we'd dreamt of drawing.

I remember dancing around the living room couch with my best friend at 2:30AM in the Korea game, doing the "happy dance" after Clint Mathis scored and after Friedel saved that penalty. I remember the heartbreak after we let in the goal, because I'd studied it so meticulously and a win would have put us through to the next round.

The last game I remember that we hooked up both of our TVs to the living room cable, and had a switch so we could watch either game on either TV. When Poland scored first, I was crushed. The Donovan equaliser dissalowed heartbreaking, and the second goal really ended my hopes. Their third, it's looking all over. Then, suddenly, amazement. The wonderful Korean goal, and suddenly we're back in the second round. Donovan scores, never mind, that game is over. Just prayer we'd go through. A shot hits the post, a shot goes marginally inches wide, my heart skipping a beat every time a shot was taken. But then, the final whistle, and the knowledge we were through. Amazing.

The game against Mexico was fantastic. Screaming at McBride's wonder goal, praising Friedel for his heroics. Yelling and praising the referee the whole match, then becoming more and more nervous as the Mexicans continued to dominate, but we still had that lead. My friend says to me "They need a goal." and less than a minute later Donovan heading home. Delight. We hold on, and we're through to the Quarterfinals.

Germany. I don't even want to go into it. I just remember waking up in a daze after earlier England versus Brasil, and struggling through the game. Screaming, and tears. I remember crying a few weeks later at my friends house when a game was on, thinking about how good our chances were of going all the way to the final if we'd made it past the Germans. Stupid referee...

Some of my memories from a different time in broadcasted football, and I'm sorry to go on a bit, but as I thought about the amount of football that used to be on and is now, I just thought a bit. Feel free to share other experiences of your own.

· Registered
33,813 Posts
Thank you for that essay. :D

In hindsight, even eight or nine years ago the coverage was not as bad as I thought it was at the time. After all, ESPN2 showed about three matches per week (England, Spain, and Champions League), and ESPN also covered Euro '96. In addition, there was Telemundo with regular games from Mexico and a few games from Argentina and South America. Of course, Telemundo was more regionally limited at the time and not everyone could get it.

The coverage really took off with Fox Sports, however. Fox Sports World appeared and Fox Sports Net was kind enough to show a few matches every week for those of us that could not receive FSW. The EPL show was created at around the same time, a must-see even for those who were not big EPL fans.

Of course, coverage did decline slightly when ESPN2 started cutting back on the Champions League matches and got rid of Spanish football, and FSW got rid of Italian football. But now we will have GolTV, and things can only get better from here.

· Registered
33,813 Posts
...I still remember the Telemundo commentator nearly having a coronary when Petit was charging at the goal and then scored, even though France had already scored twice before and was sure to win by then. :D

· Second Place winner, October 2012 XT Photo Contest
3,938 Posts
My 'friends' at Comcast put GolTV on my digital cable 'mystery package' (I call it that because nobody there seems to know what 'package' I am subscribed to) back in June. Since I pay an extra $10 for RAI International in order to watch the occasional Milan match (and a whole lotta Juventus), and frankly that is a lot to pay for watching a channel a couple of times per month. I thought this new channel was just super. They never bothered to inform me I was getting it, so God knows it could have been up there at the top of the dial for months before I stumbled upon it, and believe me they never bothered to inform me when they pulled it off my system in December either. So I called them to ask what happened and how I could get GolTV back (they seem to have replaced it with the BYU Mormon channel--I am not kidding), and after an hourlong circle jerk of epic proportions I was informed I'd have to subscribe to their all-Spanish 'el premium package' at an extra $20 a month to get the channel. Seems like extortion to me. They really piss me off, bunch of Mississipi crackers. :(
Even with that annoyance, we do have more coverage here than ever before. I am old enough to remember the World Cup only on the Spanish language channel "quatorze" and when it was finally on a network, their having commercials during the match. We have come a long way.
As for the show being discussed, I dislike the two yahoos they have hosting, and I have things to do on most Friday nights that do not involve them. ;)

· Registered
7,203 Posts
Ike, you talk about how crushed you were when Poland went up against the USA, I was the exact opposite. I remember that morning well, the game came on at 7:30 and I ran downstairs into my living room. 3rd minute in, Olisadebe scores the first goal and I woke up the whole house with my dancing and yelling. The the Donovan goal was rightfully disallowed and the Kryszalowicz scores the second. There was no better way for me to start the morning. Then my look-alike Marcin Zewlakow got the third goal and I was in heaven. That game was amazing, Poland showed the true brilliance that they had in Qualifying and couldn't show in the World Cup.

And yes, that Donovan goal was bad, he elbowed Glowacki!

· Third Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
1,942 Posts
FSC sucks. I really don't car much for the EPL, Bundesliga and the occasional Ligue 1 or Boca Juniors match. They hardly mention La Liga, and me being a big Barca fan, it's excruciating to be so close but so far away. I want GolTV, but it's not included in the underground package that I have. *Sigh*

By the way, Fox Football Friday is a decent show if you like the EPL.

· I Need More Cowbell!
7,048 Posts
Those bringing up la liga being broadcasted on ESPN2 are really old school. I too remember those days but to the old dogs here allow me to take you back: Remember those days when there was no Fox and none of its sports channels there was Prime Sports and its Spanish counterpart Prime Deportiva. Now, that was the shiznit! They had the rigths to La Liga, EPL, Bundesliga, The French League (for the massochists out here) Copa America, and a bunch more. Their studios were ghetto and eventually folded to Fox, who I think are strongly in decline.

Also, rember the 90 world cup? You probably don't since (was it NBC back then?) showed only the three US games and I believe Univision ("canal quatorce") showed only those games where Argentina and Brazil were involved in (and the final).

Soccer on the tube has surely come a long way but I still hold a grudge against Fox. Back in about '97 - '98 it was at it's peak. They had the rigths to everything enjoyable, from Argentina to the Mexican league, to 'Futbol Mundial' to Serie A and everything in between (except La Liga for some reason). Now they've dropped everything! They no longer show the Italian, Dutch, Scottish, Colombian, Chilean, Mexican, Brazilian, among other leagues. They Spanish Fox Sports is worthless, showing every game delayed except 'Weeks Argentine Classic' (the same one is shown on the English one but delayed) and the Copa Libertadores (South Amercia's CHampions League). I also find its English sister network worthless unless you're into Chinese torture ... err.. I mean the EPL. I take it back ;) They still show rugby every blue moon.

Commenting on what Barca is doing -- done that. I used to get ESPN Latino America from Argentina and it was the best. I've decided to get off life's fast lane since. Now what he says about coverage in Spain is absolutely true. I have family there and they boil over with envy at my GolTV. They tell me cable coverage is screwed up. You either get tons of sports (Cnal +, etc) or movies-- not both. SO I guess coverage here in the States is beyond excellent.

Tomorrow I'm getting Direc TV installed and will finally be in total ecstasy because I will finally have TyC (Torneos y Competencias) which is Argentina's soccer channel. That along with GolTV (come tuesday), FSC, FS Espanol, TV Chile (they show Chilean league and random games from time to time), ESPN2 and good ol' trusty Telemundo. Life is good.

· Third Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
1,942 Posts
MagicalEd said:
It's not their fault about La Liga. They don't have the rights to it...
I know they don't have the rights to it, but watching Fox makes me feel like it doesn't even exist. They don't really talk about it much at all. Granted most of the fans in the US are EPL watchers, but there are a lot of people like me that they "ignore".

· Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
Colo Colo
98,750 Posts
Guys ....I saw last nite my teams 7x3 trashing of Deportivo La Serena LIVE on TVN thru DirectV Para Tutti !!!!!!!

(colocolo that is ... who else ????) :happy: :proud: :drool:

41 - 60 of 201 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.