Xtratime Community banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Banned
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just out of curiosity, since most of the people here are Americans with Fox Soccer Channel, what do you make of this show? I think it's a good attempt by FSC to get a soccer chat show here in America, but the execution isn't perfect. I think it could be much better, but I still enjoy watching it as there really aren't any other shows like it here, but I think in a year or two when the hosts have more time then it will be smoother and better.

What are your views?

· Banned
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
colocolo said:
I heard they have gone totally soccer now !!! :cap:
Wrong. They simply changed their name from Fox Sports World to Fox Soccer Channel. Unfortunately, for the time being there is still rugby on the channel.

By the way ColoColo - on February 22 DirecTV para todos will begin to carry GolTV - the real 24 hour a day soccer channel, which carries the Primera Liga, Serie A, Brasilian leagues, etc. etc. And Chile :shades: Better for someone like yourself than FSC anyways.

· Banned
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nope. It was available through Dish Network if you payed a lot of money, but now they're adding it to the DirecTV and DirecTV Para Todos packages for free on the 22nd.

· Banned
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ahhhhhhh. You should get DirecTV. What I did was I got the $30 a month package for the most basic TV set, then I added the $12 sports pack, which carries Fox Soccer Channel, and as of the 22nd, GolTV. So $42 a month for 3200 hours of televised football a year (1600 hours on each channel) isn't a bad deal by any means, is it?

· Banned
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yep, they show replays of FA Cup ties all of the time. You can also get highlights of many Coca-Cola Championships (DERBY) matches on FSC through Sky Sports (shown three times daily) and Fox Sports World Report (twice daily, but it's the same show the following day as the previous night, so you can get highlights of their matches. I believe they'll replay Fulham - Derby too. So it's a good deal.

· Banned
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Me too. Even though my favourite league is the Premiership, I love to increase my knowledge of European football from America, and this is a great chance. Our Saturday's are now spolied beyond belief, Tim! We have the Premiership and Bundesliga on FSC, and Serie A and Primera Liga on GolTV, and they have all sorts of specials all the time on GolTV. I'm so excited, even though I have no vested interest in any team in any of the new leagues I'll be able to see with the addition of GolTV. (Or even those on FSC for that matter ;))

· Banned
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Jonny Knoxville said:
Yeay ...finally GolTV! Da best is La liga! Cant wait to c Deco!! :star: and Seria A!

Seria A
LA Liga
Da bundelsiga
EPL
South America leagues

Who needs women...bah! :howler:
So true, Jonny. No need for ladies when you've got this kind football to delight yourself with every hour of the week.

· Banned
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I was dissapointed when they dropped it too. I'm getting a bit worried, as they've dropped the Chilean, Italian, and Dutch leagues in the past five years. Dissapointing, for sure.

However, I just heard that on FSC they show over 1200 games a year. That's a lot of football! That's actually 1800+ hours a year. Amazing!

· Banned
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
PAULMAY said:
What a difference 4 years makes

When I joined this Board 4 years ago, was mainly to meet other US soccer fans that were complaining about the lack of Footie on the Telly. US natl team games were not televised so others would get the minuet by minuet transcripts and post them here, or if they were lucky enough to purchase it on PPV they would keep us updated here.

I find it still hard to believe that we have people here that wont remember a time when the WC wasnt telivised at all. Or when it was the match was interupted every 15 minuets for a commercial, they would come back and you missed a goal. :rolleyes:
And yes our commentators would spend more time explaining the rules of the game then play by play.
I remember a match in the 96 wc on ABC where they were explaining the rules of a goal kick meanwhile the kick was taken and a goal was scored while they were explaining the kick. No emotion and no passion. Many of us tuned into Telemundo to watch the games.

Now I may not get to see an EPL side in the CL match every week, or Spain play Hungry. But I do get to see a CL match and I now see the US in every International match they play. I can turn on my telly every day and watch footie, and if you go back just 4 years ago that was not possable.
Wow, there was a World Cup in 96, Paul? I seriously missed something. :eekani:

Seriously, great post, as it reminds us of a time when we were not so lucky to be able to see so much great football all of the time.

My first experiences to European football were through my aunt's house. She was relatively wealthy so she had Fox Sports World in it's early days, and every time I would go there I would watch it for hours, just hoping to catch a game and delighting in every moment I got to see. It was just so good, these players were doing things I didn't think were possible. I was only 10 or 11 when I started watching, and had only been playing organised football for about three years, so I still knew very little. It was a wonderful learning experience.

I began to thirst more and more for the games, but it's not like I could live there. ;) I would go to her house after church whenever I could, spend the night there on Mondays, and go there if I was sick. However, I could never get there as often as I wanted. But being the wonderful lady she was, she often taped games from the Premiership or Serie A (old indeed!) for me, and sometimes MLS and US National Team games on ESPN2. She never gave me very many tapes, but the ones I have I remember so well. I would watch the games over and over again, study it meticulously. It's one of the reason's I'm a good player now, because I loved watching it so much that I just kind of picked up little and big things from watching them play. I even remember the games she'd tape, I watched them so much.

Leicester City 2 - 0 Liverpool in the year the Reds won the Mickey Mouse treble, Ade Akinbiyi and Muzzy Izzet were the scorers, and I used to love to wear my collars flipped up like Izzet did after he scored. (Not knowing of Cantona) I remember a Lazio versus Brescia game at Brescia where Brescia had just come off of thise 2-2 draw with Fiorentina when Baggio scored two goals. On the day Dario Huvner had many chances but missed them all and it was 0-0 at half time when my uncle changed the channel to some movie. I also had old MLS games, the likes. It was an absolute blast.

I remember full well a time when football wasn't so big here, but I still have amazing old memories from it. Holland 2 - 1 Argentina in 98 is one of my fondest memories, I remember running out in my yard to tell my dad about the goal Bergkamp scored, and talking with a Yugoslavian friend of ours two years later about it.

I remember the final, but not all of it! I remember Zidane's first goal, and how I was the only kid in the neighborhood supporting France, as in America everyone loves Brasil (And Manchester United.) Amazingly enough, I left after the Zizou header to go play kickball with a friend of mine! We tried to get our mates to play with us, but they were all watching the World Cup Final. For some reason, I didn't care! :( I still caught Blanc's last goal, although for years I thought he'd shot it from 40 yards for some reason. However on a tape I watched in 7th grade it confirmed it was the edge of the box, not halfway. I also remember Brasil's games versus Chile, when Ronaldo hit the bar when it would have been his hat trick, and the look his girlfriend had when they showed a replay of her. I remember the dissapointment of the loss to Germany, and I remember Brasil's wonderful game versus...Denmark? in the quarterfinals. That was a time when Brasil drew better than the USA on the telly.

I remember the nervousness everyone experienced when the American coverage was by no means guaranteed for 2002, the joy I got when I realised we would get it, and the pains I had to struggle through to get my parents to get cable so we'd have ESPN and ESPN2 for the World Cup. I remember waking up early to watch Senegal versus France, and dancing along with milloions of Senegalese people when the goal was scored. Unfortunately, I had to go before the game was over! That whole month was an amazing blur for me, as I watched every game of the tournament live, and thus destroyed my body. I remember screaming at our local ABC affiliate when they decided to air the FINAL tape-delayed because they "thought they'd get better numbers." The horror was terrible. Still a wonderful time in my life, to get to see so much football so often.

My best memories from the tournament will always be the American experiences though. I remember screaming at my dad at 3:00 in the morning that the USA was in front, and waking him up again every time we scored...he was so testy the next day. But still, I remember the next few days being surreal in the amazement of winning the match against a team we'd dreamt of drawing.

I remember dancing around the living room couch with my best friend at 2:30AM in the Korea game, doing the "happy dance" after Clint Mathis scored and after Friedel saved that penalty. I remember the heartbreak after we let in the goal, because I'd studied it so meticulously and a win would have put us through to the next round.

The last game I remember that we hooked up both of our TVs to the living room cable, and had a switch so we could watch either game on either TV. When Poland scored first, I was crushed. The Donovan equaliser dissalowed heartbreaking, and the second goal really ended my hopes. Their third, it's looking all over. Then, suddenly, amazement. The wonderful Korean goal, and suddenly we're back in the second round. Donovan scores, never mind, that game is over. Just prayer we'd go through. A shot hits the post, a shot goes marginally inches wide, my heart skipping a beat every time a shot was taken. But then, the final whistle, and the knowledge we were through. Amazing.

The game against Mexico was fantastic. Screaming at McBride's wonder goal, praising Friedel for his heroics. Yelling and praising the referee the whole match, then becoming more and more nervous as the Mexicans continued to dominate, but we still had that lead. My friend says to me "They need a goal." and less than a minute later Donovan heading home. Delight. We hold on, and we're through to the Quarterfinals.

Germany. I don't even want to go into it. I just remember waking up in a daze after earlier England versus Brasil, and struggling through the game. Screaming, and tears. I remember crying a few weeks later at my friends house when a game was on, thinking about how good our chances were of going all the way to the final if we'd made it past the Germans. Stupid referee...

Some of my memories from a different time in broadcasted football, and I'm sorry to go on a bit, but as I thought about the amount of football that used to be on and is now, I just thought a bit. Feel free to share other experiences of your own.

· Banned
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
R10eDeus said:
I know they don't have the rights to it, but watching Fox makes me feel like it doesn't even exist. They don't really talk about it much at all. Granted most of the fans in the US are EPL watchers, but there are a lot of people like me that they "ignore".
They always recap Serie A and the Primera Liga on Fox Sports World report, showing videos from many of the matches.

Two days to liftoff! :D

· Banned
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
I stayed up until 11:00PM CST - (12:00AM FEB 22 EST) expecting to see a grand launch, much like FSW to FSC, but I was dissapointed for it not to come on. However, when I woke up in a relative daze this morning, there it was! Hooray!

My first impressions are lovely. It's obvious that the people they've employed to speak struggle with English, but there's lots of good football, a very good news show, and lots of Serie A and Primera Liga. Now I'll finally be able to rate all of Europe's biggest leagues and biggest players on equal footing, side by side. Literally! 613-614. Right by eachother. :shades:

Anyways, what are your first impressions of the channel? That is if you can peel yourself away from it. :D

BLAQUEST said:
I hate the two guys, and I dont like how they only talk about La Liga for like seconds if that
GolTV Baby!

Tim said:
There'll even be live coverage of the Milano derby on Sunday. I'm about to shit myself with excitement!
I KNOW! I was worried that the Milan derby would be this weekend and we'd miss it, but lo and behold we get it just in time for me to see my first ever live match between the two sides. Pass the tissues. For more reasons than one. :D

· Banned
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
It should just play for you in English. Are they speaking in Spanish in your broadcasts? For me it's done in English in the shows and games, but commercials are done in Spanish.

What's it doing for you, Paul?

And what's an XT Consultant? ;)

· Banned
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
Yes yes, I enjoyed both Ciao! and Ole! they did a great job of summing up the leagues.

It's so nice to get to see Inter and Madrid, Bayern and Manchester United all in one day. Amazing. I love DirecTV. I need to mail them a letter of appreciation.

· Banned
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
Blessing us with painfully boring Serie A, eh? I don't watch many Italian games, mainly Primera Liga because they actually know how to play football.

I prefer FSC.

· Banned
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #117 ·
Tim said:
I did want to buy a nice jersey, but the idiot going apeshit in all the camisetas pissed me off... ;)
:howler: Hahaha! This ad makes me laugh. It's like, wow! This guy sure gets a whole lot of jerseys. Wish I had this many shirts!

· Banned
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 ·
I just realised how easy it is to get Spanish if GolTV is in English with DirecTV.

>Menu

>Preferences

>Language Settings

>Audio

>Spanish

And it works every time. :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.