Xtratime Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a report from the Express. I don't know how real it is, but I heard that there was indeed a bust-up involving a star player and GH after the Southampton game.

I hate to see Fowler leave, but the thing seems to hold some truth (not the leaving, but the bust-up). Sources also said that Fowler has been excluded from the squad for the game at Bradford. If we do not see him in the lineup today, then we must fear for the worse.

The report:

Robbie Fowler's future at Liverpool was in turmoil on Saturday night following a bust-up with manager Gerard Houllier.

It is believed Fowler has not only been dropped from the team to play Bradford on Sunday, but also left out of the squad in the wake of a disagreement with his manager.

The situation will intensify speculation that Fowler will be offloaded by Liverpool this summer.

Since the £12million acquisition of Emile Heskey from Leicester two months ago, Fowler's long-term future at Anfield has been the subject of much conjecture.Now the matter appears to be coming to a head and that will attract interest from Leeds, Middlesbrough, Arsenal and Chelsea, all of whom covet the £15m-rated striker. Fowler has long insisted he wants to stay at Liverpool despite being closely linked with several clubs over the past year. Indeed, he showed his commitment last summer by signing a new long-term contract worth £32,000 a week.

But he has suffered a miserable season with injury and has only returned to the Liverpool side in the past few weeks.
The arrival of Heskey and Liverpool's relative success without Fowler this season means he can no longer be confident of a place in the starting line-up when fit.
And it seems Fowler has become frustrated by the uncertainty and has failed to see eye to eye with Houllier.

The Liverpool manager, however, has already demonstrated he is willing to take a tough line in his bid to restore Liverpool's fortunes - at the end of last season he wasted little time in selling Paul Ince.

Now Fowler could be on his way out unless the differences are resolved. But the bust-up could not have come at a worse time for the 25-year-old. On Monday England manager Kevin Keegan names a provisional Euro 2000 squad of 28 players.

Despite his long absence this season, it is believed Fowler will be included in that party and it has even been suggested he could get the nod over Manchester United's Andy Cole when the squad is cut to 22. But this disruption could result in him missing out.

Liverpool must beat Bradford today and hope Leeds slip up at West Ham to gain a place in the Champions League.

Otherwise it will be a UEFA Cup berth for Liverpool.

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
And you have a hang over, the thing that I always look for in a story is a quote and there is none in this. It states what I could have written and has not even explained why Fowler would be so mad. No source is given so let's all hope that this is just a slow news day.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts