Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Four English clubs eye Morientes

Liverpool, who are thought to have had a £3.5m bid rejected by Real, were joined in the battle to sign the 28-year-old by Newcastle last week.

But the Spain striker's agent Gines Carvajal said: "Morientes now has four offers from different English clubs and two from French teams.

"Therefore we will have to wait and see what happens."

Morientes is thought to favour a move to Liverpool ahead of Newcastle, but his decision could change depending on the identity of the two other unnamed clubs.

Carvajal added: "He is very clear in his mind that he wants to play and wants to do so in a great and competitive team.

"We're not considering a loan deal. What we want is a transfer. He already went last season on loan for six months and he doesn't want to do that again."

That loan spell was with Monaco and they are probably one of the French outfits mentioned by the agent.

Whatever happens, Morientes seems destined to leave Real in January, after falling behind Ronaldo, Michael Owen and Raul in the pecking order at the Bernabeu.

Real vice-president Emilio Butragueno told Spanish newspaper Marca: "If there is a fantastic offer then we will consider it.

"He is a very good player and we're not going to stand in anyone's way, not least Fernando because he has always behaved in a professional manner."

Madrid are thought to want at least £7m for the striker, but are reported to have told Liverpool they would accept less in return for a first option on Anfield captain and England star Steven Gerrard.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/4127559.stm

·
Registered
6,768 Posts
Liverpool will most probably get him in the end, after all they have the upper hand. They have a spanish manager and spanish players which will help him make the transition over the med, plus he has massive respect and praise for Rafa.

·
Registered
16,663 Posts
It's all talk, Liverpool are the only club serious from England IMO, ManU, Chelsea and Arsenal wouldn't be interested and Newcastle already have four good strikers- that only leaves Liverpool who have got a chance of getting Morientes, because realistically someone of Morientes calibre isn't going to move to any other club apart from the 5 I mentioned, in fact I doubt he'd want to move to Newcastle.

·
Registered
6,768 Posts
SM ONLINE said:
It's all talk, Liverpool are the only club serious from England IMO, ManU, Chelsea and Arsenal wouldn't be interested and Newcastle already have four good strikers- that only leaves Liverpool who have got a chance of getting Morientes, because realistically someone of Morientes calibre isn't going to move to any other club apart from the 5 I mentioned, in fact I doubt he'd want to move to Newcastle.
Nobody ever wants to join the geordies, they are forced in to it :happy:

·
International
1,878 Posts
Four clubs? Hmm... sounds like there is a fight on our hands to land this player. Or it may just be some agents trying to force our hands onto this one.

In any case, 5 million pounds should be the most our club should pay for him. That is my opinion, of course.

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
Middlesborough are probably one, they fancy themselves as a big club and have cash on the hip, he'd never join them of course, Karembeu probably told him that you can only get fish 'n' chips to eat up there.

·
International
1,878 Posts
Jern: Mendieta joined Boro. Wonder if he knew about the chips too.

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
Liverbird said:
Jern: Mendieta joined Boro. Wonder if he knew about the chips too.
Mendieta didn't have Liverpool interested though, also maybe he didn't know about the fish suppers because i think he has never played with Karembeu so probably didn't speak to him, i know Karembeu was surprised at the amount of chip shops. :shades:

·
Premier Player
3,682 Posts
On ability, Morientes is worth at least 10 million pounds. However, being unwanted, we can prolly get him for about 3-5 million pounds provided there isn't a bidding war.

Given a chance, he is one of the more complete strikers and scores at a consistant rate. He is one of the most underrated striker in World Football. He isn't flashy, he isn't Zidane or Ronaldo, but he will win things for us if given the chance.

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
I don't believe Real would go below £6m.. they're currently demanding £7m for him..
Yes they don't need him.. but we need him badly.. which is another factor in their favor.. and I think the Owen deal proved Real know how to pressurize clubs and get the best out of a transfer..

We made a £3.5m bid which has been rejected as too low..

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
How can they be skint when they're allegedly getting Robinho, Mascherino and maybe another defender or central midfielder?

then again, even if they need every penny.. we need a striker even more.. so negotiations could sway either way.. :)

·
Registered
6,768 Posts
Yasir said:
How can they be skint when they're allegedly getting Robinho, Mascherino and maybe another defender or central midfielder?
Because of there marketing of Beckham and the very generous Spanish government bank rolling their cause.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Does anyone know what that latest on Mori is? A friend of mine said that Real was holding the "auction" today but I guess that' probably not the case as nothing has been in the media about the deal.

-Scott

·
Registered
10,390 Posts
skamen said:
Does anyone know what that latest on Mori is? A friend of mine said that Real was holding the "auction" today but I guess that' probably not the case as nothing has been in the media about the deal.

-Scott
well Morientes is very much Liverpool bound, Newcasttle has offered 15M but the player say Im not going there,he s going where he wants to go really, and all shows Liverpool is the place he rather be. After the win against Chelsea everything will be clearer. Be Patient. By the way Newcastle is now interested in Deportivos Pandiani.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Fernando Morientes has revealed he has made his mind up to join Liverpool during the January transfer window.
Liverpool are in the market for a striker after losing Djibril Cisse for the season with a broken leg, and Spanish star Morientes has regularly been linked with a move to Anfield.

The Reds have not commented officially on their attempts to bring the Real Madrid ace to Merseyside, but the player himself is ready to dismiss interest from other clubs to join the Rafalution.

"Yes, I am going to England - I have decided," said Morientes. "I will go to Liverpool and for many reasons. The main reason is the coach Rafa Benitez. He is Spanish and knows me perfectly, which is worth a lot for a professional.

"We have asked Real Madrid to make a fast solution and I don't want to expand any further, except to say I am already looking through the English dictionary."

The player's agent Gines Carvajal has admitted Morientes' future is now in the hands of Real Madrid, who will need to agree a fee for the player's sale.

"Everything depends on Real Madrid. I haven't seen anything in writing from Liverpool," said Carvajal.

"I know they spoke with Madrid and the initial amount did not satisfy the president.

"But within the right price frame the feelings of the player will be a priority. That is important."

1 - 20 of 48 Posts