Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
17,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I can leave the Dortmund forum, thus keep germany section and just achiving Bayern forum. I just hope I dont have to return Bayern forum and archive Dortmund in May, 2020 :D
The Dortmund forum is as dead as the Bayern forum. The one post Reza made certainly does not change anything to that. In fact had that been posted in the German forum it would have surely gotten replies, which is kinda the whole point I am making.

As for a more general comment, of course closing/archiving the Bayern and Dortmund forum itself will not make the Bundesliga forum get more traffic, that train has left the station. To achieve more traffic and spark discussions between more than the regular 3-5 persons visiting a forum it needs to be merged with a similar forum (or forums) that has (have) the same problems.

Why are people discussing the Bundesliga in the World Football forum right now? Because more people go there than to the Bundesliga forum itself. Hence more people get involved in such a discussion. Now of course when there are enough people (definitely more than 3-5) to keep an own forum interesting (and that is definitely different from just active, just take colocolo as an example), then everything is fine. But the moment that is not the case, that forum kinda becomes void and people just talk to themselves and might as well stop doing that too.

Of course the tricky part is to find a common ground between those different forums so that it can spark discussions among the different small groups of persons, so merging Germany with Chile will not make sense of course. But I would almost prefer the German forum to be completely merged with European Football forum than having a sub forum in that section. Inside the EF forum there are a lot of small sub forums that have little to no traffic. Hell, even the EF forum itself has seen 1 post in more than two years time!!! Merge all those small ones into that and it at least has the chance to get some discussions going. Keeping all those sub forums as they are is not going to spark anything, it has been like this for years and it hasn't worked, it cannot become any worse.

·
Registered
42,582 Posts
Exactly Frank. I put something about the J-league in World Football - not Asian Football - because no one looks at the latter. Considering the traffic we may as well condense everything into World Football and the rest that isn't football into off-topic stuff.

There's sub-forums that haven't got replies for years on XT. There's no need to have an Israeli forum, Slovenian forum, Norwegian forum etc.

·
Registered
59,034 Posts
I support Frank's proposal. Might as well merge the Belgian, Dutch, French and German forums into one. West European football forum or something like that.

·
Administrator
29,808 Posts
This came up in another thread, so moving here the discussion. Tiger, Wally e Jeff gave some suggestions, but everyone is free to disagree or add more proposals.

·
Administrator
29,808 Posts
Considering I will move to the archives the forums that have no posts since 2018, what we have?

Do like Wally suggests and create a forum Western Football (but no England) with everything west of Germany? If so, which section will stay? Should we add nordic nations? Portugal?
Or do you mean a section with those subforums?

Do like Tiger and Merge all in European footbal? Where it will stay?

What to do with the other continents?

·
Registered
17,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Considering I will move to the archives the forums that have no posts since 2018, what we have?

Do like Wally suggests and create a forum Western Football (but no England) with everything west of Germany? If so, which section will stay? Should we add nordic nations? Portugal?

I haven't checked every forum recently, but both Porto and Sporting forums are as dead as they get. That is Bayern and Dortmund level of inactivity.

·
Registered
33,810 Posts
A lot of club forums need going. Here's my list:

Fiorentina
Lazio
Napoli
Torino
Atletico Madrid
Andalusian Football
Basque Football
Besiktas
Fenerbahce
Galatassary
Porto
Sporting Lisbon
Dortmund
Bayern
Zenit
Man City

·
Super Moderator
13,713 Posts
I think it's a good idea to close the completely inactive forums, but still think the key aspect is part of what @Tigerheart was suggesting: get the activity of several of the forums with 2-3 posters together into single, more active forums.

I think XT has enough posters to have interesting discussions in subforums like World Football, English football, Italian football, etc., but the historical culture of the site means many posters often only check one or two forums (that's what I did for like 15 years anyway). A basic aspect of this should be to work together with the FMs or the active members f these subforum so that they contribute in those broader ones too.

IMO the World Football forum should be the heart of the site, but I have not been able to make it work as a FM there, and neither has @Nerazzurri4life, who's an excellent poster and FM in the Inter forum.

·
Registered
59,034 Posts

Western Europe - can add Scandinavia to Benelux and Germany. Feyenoord forum can be put within the Western Europe as we just about have enough for the forum to stay around (3 regulars)

Things are so quiet you might as well make one big Iberian or South West European forum (to include France) too with sub forums for Valencia and Real Madrid. Shocking to see the Barca forum so absolutely dead.

Eastern Europe - can make it one big section while keeping the Croatian, Hungarian, Romanian and Serbian forums within it and have the WWE as its off-topic forum.

Both sections will need good debate inspriring FMs

·
Registered
33,810 Posts
Good ideas.

And as Jeff says there is no need for these Norwegian forums etc.

Some serious merging needs to be done and it'll help.

Plus the forum will look tidier and fresher!

·
Administrator
29,808 Posts
I think the idea to be effective cannot be only removing dead foruns and re-organizing new sections, indeed. Tiger idea seems to be more effective with forums merging, so we try to optmize little activity to bigger activity. Plus, I am up with Jeff idea about letting more forums die to have more posts in World Football forum. Los Che, most in your list will go to archives, just give us sometime.

Now, Wally, asking inspiring FMs? You are the dude who did miracles, not us :D

·
Administrator
24,910 Posts
Agree in archiving some foruns for sure , placing some other foruns as sub foruns too , but creating new sections no, if anything abolishing some existing sections/ divisions.

Makes no sense having an iberia forum, a western europe forum, a german/ france forum and so on. If we want to trim down the forum to make it smaller, creating new sections is a contradiction, and imo repeating the current design under different names.

Also, when looking at the possibility of trimming down the forum, we should not forget the off topic foruns. Do we need a love and dating forum? Do we need a music forum? Tv forum? Why not having all those subjects inside the lounge...

Regardless of the decisions made, i think it is pretty unlikely we will become more attractive to new posters due to the changes in the frame of the forum, but if it makes the experience more enjoyable for current posters we can give it a try.

·
Administrator
29,808 Posts
Wally is not clear if new sections or else, but I see the merging as a second objective: putting together people who are apart and may generate some discussion. The discussion may have started with objective one, to reduce the forum, but it has developments.

So we can get past it and think we are talking about the possibility of re-organizing the forum with the intetion to generate more activity among the present members now.

·
Administrator
24,910 Posts
Jc merging is assuming that someone interested in french football is also interested in italian football , and none else, for example, so we merge french and italian football...makes no sense making that sort of assumption. This is just a random example

Trimming down on the other hand does make it eventually easier to navigate, and come across subjects of interest and posters to engage with.

I think one of xt's most unique features is its diversity, so was never keen on closing foruns, as u, wally, tiger, reza ( and others)are well aware of, but given the fact that it can make the forum more " friendly user" and looking/ being less empty , am open to that possibility

And of course, agree our main focus should be world football forum, but that is the 1 million dollar answear...how we can make it more active

·
Registered
17,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am not exactly sure where the idea of merging forums creating more forums comes from?

Just a hypothetical merge of a German, Dutch, Belgian, Luxembourg forum into Western Europe does not create a new forum, it actually gets rid of three forums.

·
Administrator
29,808 Posts
Ok, most of this discussion seems a bit off now, the new laytout needs a lot of to be talked reggarding the organization of the forums. For once, World Football is hidden.

And I think we should present your point of view about changes, but no need to debate it, once we have all proposals we can see which one fits better.

·
Registered
17,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am seeing that can kind of (different ads though) in about every thread I look into. Not sure if it is a preference/option thing but if someone knows how to turn it off, please point me in the right direction.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts