Xtratime Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premier Player
3,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Emlyn Hughes is battling against cancer, it was confirmed today.

The former Liverpool and England captain underwent surgery at the Royal Hallamshire Hospital, in Sheffield, last year to remove a brain tumour.

A spokesman for the Anfield club confirmed that Hughes is now being treated for brain cancer.

Hughes, a former Question of Sport captain, who was awarded an OBE in 1980, faces months of chemotherapy treatment.

Former team-mate Brian Hall said: 'The tumour is in his brain and he has had chemotherapy, which is working well.

'Emlyn is in good spirits, he was a battler on the pitch and now he is facing a battle of a different kind.

'He is giving this everything he has got and has a strong family behind him.

'He is a very popular character and was a great player for Liverpool and everybody at the club wishes him well.'

David Taylor, who is Mr Hughes's after-dinner speaking agent, said: 'It is general knowledge that he had a brain tumour and was having radiotherapy for it.

'But he was out doing after-dinner gigs only weeks after he'd come out of hospital, that's the type of character he is.

'He is one of those people who doesn't want a fuss and just wants to get on with it.'

The son of a rugby league international, Hughes started his football career in Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria, before signing for Blackpool in 1964.

He joined Liverpool for £65,000 in 1967 and went on to play 650 games.

He was nicknamed Crazy Horse for his infectious enthusiasm and drive.

Hughes signed for Wolves in 1979 before becoming a player-manager at Rotherham.

During his career he won 62 England caps, captained his country 23 times and won two European Cups and five league championship medals.

He was named Footballer of the Year in 1977.

Hughes is married to Barbara and has two grown-up children Emma
and Emlyn.

---------------
I Remember Emlyn from some old snippets here and there but he is before me time. However I know he is a legend for Liverpool.

Get well soon!!!

You will never walk alone...

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
Crazy Horse is a great guy,has a really irritating squeaky voice though ,he used to be a captain on Question of Sport :cool:

he is a fierce critic of Houllier as well.

wish him all the best in his battle,if it is all down to guts and willpower he will be healthy in no time ;)

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
All the best Emlyn. I hope he pulls through.

paw:dazed:

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
Old Emlyn, Half his teamates loved him and half hated him.Great player and captain, Get well so Emmo and i hope you pull through.

YNWA

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
You'll Never Walk Alone ...Crazy Horse..

Get well soon

1 - 5 of 5 Posts