Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Diego Forlan has confirmed he has rejected a move to Middlesbrough to join Manchester United in a £6.9m deal.
The Uruguayan striker had been expected to sign for Boro - but the English champions revived their interest to clinch the signing on Friday.

Forlan, who plays for Independiente in Argentina, arrived at Gatwick airport with his final destination still shrouded in mystery.

But he confirmed he was heading to Manchester to sign a four-and-a-half year contract at Old Trafford.

Forlan, 24, said: "We are flying to Manchester, and I am signing for Manchester United.

McClaren can see Forlan getting away

"Manchester United is a very big club, so I have decided to go there. They have made the offer and now I have only to sign the contract."

He added: "Playing in Manchester for a club like Manchester United is very important.

"I have to sign the contract and meet the coach, then I will be more calm and able to talk more."

Forlan will be eligible to play in the Champions League second phase when it resumes in February.

The transfer could scupper Paolo di Canio's dream of a transfer to Old Trafford, though United have not yet given up hope of signing the Italian.

Ferguson's brother, Martin, has watched Forlan on a number of occasions for Independiente and was impressed by what he saw.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shouldn't affect Giggsy as he is left wing and Diego is a Centre forward who has been compared on one website to the "new Klinsmann" by a BBC journalist:

"Forlan is a very strong player physically and I think those are the type of South Americans who adapt easiest to Europe.

If they can cope with the physical side of the game then their skill and technique can make a difference.

I would compare him to a young Jurgen Klinsmann.

He's a tall, rangy striker, he's quick, he's strong, he can lead the line on his own or combine as his fellow Uraguyan Gus Poyet has pointed out.

He can finish with his left foot, his right foot and in the air.

But he is by no means the finished article. He's not a Uruguayan international, although he has played under-20 level football.

He's not a full international because coach Victor Pua, who knows him well, thinks that he doesn't take a high enough percentage of his chances.

So he needs to work on his finishing and the Premiership could be the place for him to do that"

The last bit is a bit worrying but the rest sounds mouth-watering !!!!

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
If Pua really said that then he is an idiot.

I believe the reason he hasnt made the NT, was because he wasnt playing in Europe. Very rarely does a uruguayin forward start for the NT, unless he has already proved himself in Europe first, because Uruguay has many forwards that have

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
United move offered me more - Forlan

Uruguay striker Diego Forlan has revealed he chose United over Middlesbrough because a move to the Premiership champions "offered him more".
The Independiente frontman flew into Gatwick Airport early this morning and found himself the centre of a tug-of-war between Sir Alex Ferguson and his former right-hand man Steve McClaren, now manager at The Riverside.
McClaren thought Boro had beaten Ferguson to the signature of the 24-year-old, who was being chased by several top European clubs including Espanyol, but some smart work by the Reds chief over the last 24 hours has swung things United's way.
On his arrival, Forlan revealed he has always wanted to play in England, but he only wanted to play for United as they are one of the biggest clubs in the world.
"Manchester United offered me more than Middlesbrough," Forlan said. "I was flying here knowing what was happening."
His representatives met with Ferguson and Old Trafford chief executive Peter Kenyon yesterday to iron out the fine details of the move after Independiente accepted a bid for their player. It is believed the South Americans were ready to take less from Boro but McClaren could not pay the full fee immediately.
"It's a four-year deal, and playing for Manchester United is a present for me," Forlan added.
The signing of Forlan is almost certain to end United's interest in West Ham star Paolo di Canio. West Ham stalled on that deal by demanding £3.5million for the 33-year-old Italian, with United prepared to go no higher than £2.5million.

http://www.teamtalk.com/teamtalk/Team_News/0,1562,27,00.html#408645

JF

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Sebastian50 said:
If Pua really said that then he is an idiot.

I believe the reason he hasnt made the NT, was because he wasnt playing in Europe. Very rarely does a uruguayin forward start for the NT, unless he has already proved himself in Europe first, because Uruguay has many forwards that have
Give us your opinion of him Sebastian. Do you think he's a good signing for us?

·
Registered
63 Posts
But we have now two fantastic centre forwards (RVN certainly being the better of the two). Will we just have Forlan benched right after signing him? I mean will we go to 3 up front? I know this would be probably a never for Fergie...but we have Giggsy, Ole, RVN, and no Forlan.

Also...when will he be playing?

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
Well Manu,we had three in fact four(with Teddy and Yorke in form)strikers before and that didnt seem to create any problem.Rather it motivates the players to make the best of their oppurtunities.Also Forlan will naturally take some time to settle down and get accustomed to the style of EPL and Solsjkaer is the last person on Earth to feel insecured with increased competition.:)

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Mine's a TREBLE said:
Does this mean that the Di Canio transfer is off now?

Or will UTD sell York & still bring in Di Canio?

:confused:
I think that's the plan MaT cause apparently Alex has said we're still in for Di Canio and that the ball is back in West Ham's hands.

Hopefully now that Forlan will not be signing for Boro, they'll turn their attention to disco Dwight. We know they have the money cause otherwise how did they play to sign Forland for 7 mil?

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
I have only seen Forlan play few games with the U21 NT and a couple of Libertadores games with Independiente. But I have read alot abt him, because thats pretty much all I can do from Canada.

From what I know he is tall fast, uses both feet to score, and has an excellent airial game. Uruguayin football much like english is very physical, and rough, so I dont think he will have much trouble adapting there. Forlan has the talent to succeed in any league in the world, but he has to fit in. What I mean is some players gell in a cetain club, and some dont. If Forlan does than there is no doubt in my mind that he will be scoring goal for Man U for a long time.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
PLANETFOOTBALL can exclusively confirm that Diego Forlan has agreed terms on a four-year deal with Manchester United, shunning a move to Premiership rivals Middlesbrough.
Forlan flew into Gatwick airport on Friday morning and was met by a United delegation, who negotiated terms with the Uruguayan and his agent Daniel Bolotnikoff.

"He is going to Manchester," Bolotnikoff exclusively revealed to planetfootball.com.

"He took the decision about an hour ago [11.00] after receiving an important offer and it was then he took the decision to go.

"He has only agreed terms, he has not yet signed a contract as he is London."

The agent revealed that United had agreed terms with the player's club Independiente.

"Manchester United have agreed a one-off payment with Independiente, everything is agreed," Bolotnikoff added.

"When Diego decided to go to Manchester, Independiente said they would allow the deal.

"Two Independiente officials have travelled to Middlesbrough to explain the situation."

Forlan confirmed the move himself saying he was delighted to be joining such a big club as United

"We are flying to Manchester, and I am signing for Manchester United," said Forlan.

"Manchester United is a very big club, so I have decided to go there. They have made the offer and now I have only to sign the contract."

"Playing in Manchester for a club like Manchester United is very important.

"I have to sign the contract and meet the coach, then I will be more calm and able to talk more."

by Graeme Bailey

PLANETFOOTBALL

JF

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
with a bit of luck he should net a few agianst blackburn tomorrow.:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Does anyone else feel that we are paying too much attention to attack minded players and not enough attention to where our frailties are, namely defence??

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yeah sparky, I would have much prefered Micheal Reiziger to Forlan, but still he might come good like Solskjear.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Beef0128 said:
with a bit of luck he should net a few agianst blackburn tomorrow.:)
my mistake. i've just read a paper that he's gonna have his medical today or tomorrow and if all goes well he'll be unveiled as a united player on monday. which means that his first game will be at bolton, as he's cup tied for the game against boro' next week.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Wow Cool Thxx

1 - 20 of 34 Posts