Xtratime Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From the Beeb:

Forlan flies in for talks

Diego Forlan appears likely to to snub Middlesbrough and sign for Manchester United in a £6.9m deal.
The Independiente striker had been expected to sign for Steve McClaren's side but United look to have won the race for the Uruguayan.

Forlan arrived at Gatwick early on Friday and was greeted by journalists hoping to discover his destination.

It is not yet known whether he will fly on to Manchester or Teesside for transfer talks.

Middlesbrough believed they had got their man after they agreed a fee with the Argentine side.

But the deal stalled because cash-strapped Independiente want the money in a one-off payment, rather than Boro's preferred option of instalments.

That allowed United to step in after chief executive Peter Kenyon agreed to increase the club's initial £6m bid and match Boro's offer.

The Old Trafford club are reported to have clinched the deal by offering the 22-year-old a £900,000 signing-on fee.

Forlan has indicated in recent weeks that he would welcome a move to Old Trafford and Independiente have refused to close the door on any United interest.

Forlan said: "I am aware that I have the last say and it is a big responsibility.

"I am happy to go to England because the football that I most admire in Europe is in England. To be part of it would be a dream."

Earlier, Andres Ducantenzeiler, general secretary of the Argentine club, said: "The only way Manchester United will take Diego Forlan is if they pay £6.9m."

Now that stumbling block has been removed, it would seem Alex Ferguson has got his replacement for Andy Cole.

He will hope to complete the transfer before the Champions League deadline on 31 January.

McClaren can see Forlan getting away

It would effectively end United's interest in West Ham's Paolo di Canio, especially as talks between the two clubs are seemingly deadlocked.

On Thursday, Middlesbrough manager Steve McClaren vowed to stay in the race to sign Forlan.

"We're at a stalemate at the present time," McClaren told the club's official website.

"There are that many people involved, I think we've come away from the deal at the present moment and we're just waiting for someone else to make a move.

"We knew big clubs around Europe were all in, that's why we tried to take the bull by the horns and do the deal quickly.

"I don't think it's working out as we planned, but we're not giving up yet and we're fully prepared over the next couple of days to move on."

1 - 2 of 2 Posts