Xtratime Community banner

Foreign teams winning domestic cups

1K views 59 replies 25 participants last post by  JinkyJohnstone7 
#1 ·
This weekend could see a Welsh team win the English FA cup if Cardiff can upset the odds and beat Portsmouth.

I know a Welsh team has won it before, and that a Scottish team has previously reached the final but I'm interested in the general principle of (however technically) 'foreign' teams winning domestic cup competitions.

Can anyone enlighten me as to other examples of this? Would there be a website that lists the most famous instances?

Thanks in advance.

#5 ·
Ahh.. I'm strolling around in the World Football forum and then I have to see Adnan's avatar. ;) Hopefully he hasn't already closed the chapter FCN in his mind completely.

Rapid Wien has won the German Cup once, which falls under a pretty dark history chapter.

#6 ·
I believe Glasgow Rangers won the English FA Cup in the 19th century, when Scottish participants were quite common.

Derry City from Northern Ireland has won the Irish Cup only a couple of seasons ago. Of course they are in the Irish competitions purely for political reasons but still...

AS Monaco won the French cup several times.

And I believe in Asia it is more common to see foreign teams participate in competitions of all sorts. I do know two Australian teams (Perth Glory and I am not sure of the other one) both won a Singapore Cup before the new Australian professional league was introduced.

Maybe, if FC Toronto can get succesful, we'll see a Canadian side winning trophies in the USA soon.

#23 ·
I believe Glasgow Rangers won the English FA Cup in the 19th century, when Scottish participants were quite common.
Cardiff are the only non-English team to have won the FA Cup. Predictably, we were the ones to lose the game too.

In Australia we've had various incarnations of a New Zealand team in our league since the late 90s. They've never won anything though.

#8 ·
Nope, he definitely won't stay. The negotiations with Wolfsburg look pretty serious. Wolfsburg!? :eek: He's after the money... :rolleyes: I really thought he'll stay here in case we don't get relegated.
I only meant that he hopefully is so loyal to give everything in his last game on Saturday.

#9 ·
Crewe Alexandra have won the Welsh Cup in the 1960s
Shrewsbury Town have also won welsh cup
as have Chester and Tranmere and Bristol City and a team known as South Liverpool FC

Vaduz dunno if they won anything in swiss , but i think they get uefa cup from leichstien cup (lieichinstien dont have any team go in the CL though...)

Cardiff did win fa cup in 1927.

#11 ·
FC Vaduz was just promoted into the Swiss Super League on Monday, and the city of Vaduz will be one of the smallest locales in Europe with a top flight football team (5,000 population). So now there is a Liechtenstein team competing in the Swiss top flight, though they could be pretty out of their depth there and it is unlikely they will win anything. They cannot qualify for European competition via league placement and they compete in the Liechtenstein Cup instead of the Swiss Cup, which gives one UEFA Cup spot. Also an interesting part of their agreement to play in the Swiss leagues is that if they do indeed win the Swiss league they will not be recognized as champions of Switzerland.

#12 ·
FC Barcelona from the nation of Catalunya has won 18 Spanish Championships and 24 Spanish Cups. On top of that 7 Supercopa's de España and 2 Spanish Copa de la Liga's.

I think its the most succesful foreign team playing in another country!

#26 · (Edited)
Now Rijeka is a Croatian town but before the 2nd world war Rijeka was the Italian town Fiume and the football club was called "U.S. Fiumana". They participated mostly in serie C but in a pair of serie B championships too.
Ezio Loik, a champion of Grande Torino, was a product of Fiumana.

Another Croatian town participated in the Italian serie B: Grion Pola. It was a team created by fascists as the complete name suggests: Gruppo Sportivo Fascio Grion Pola.

#28 ·
Did the latter play in the Italian serie B while they were already Croatian soil, or was that prior to the Rijeka area being annexed by Croatia?

Rijeka area has an own national team by the way which competes in non-FIFA competitions along with the likes of vatican City, Monaco, Gibraltar, Occitania, Sapmi, northern Cyprus, ...

#29 ·
About to bore the pants off you now!

Queens Park are the only Scottish team to reach a English FA Cup Final, the did it in 1884 and 1885, the would have been in the first FA Cup Final(Football Association meaning all football clubs in Britain, which seems to be forgotten about now), but they could not afford to travel to London so withdrew. Hence travelling was a problem at the time so the Scottish Cup came.

And to realiy bore you, do you know that the Scottish Cup is the worlds oldest Cup as it was originally the FA Cup from the 1874 season.

God i need to get a life.

#31 ·
Yeah if you look at the teams that entered they were all unrecognisable from today, Wanders, Renton, Third Lanark, Royal Engineers, old Etonians, it was an upper class game then!

Did History at Uni and decided to do Football History, very informative.

Irish teams also participated because at the time there was still large migration to Britain due to the industrial revolution and these teams although Irish based themselves in Scotland and England. Thats why you then got teams like them(Celtic) Liverpool and Everton et al....

#32 ·
I hope you realize things like Rapid Wien winning something in Germany in 1941 doesn't count here. They were not a "foreign" club at the time. In 1941 Vienna was a major city of...Germany. With Cardiff - aren't they a member of the English FA? Don't they compete fully in the English league system? Then you can't really consider them foreign. Esp. with the fact that England and Wales are part of the same country.

If you want weird, consider Egypt hosting and actually winning a European basketball championship back in 1940-something.

#33 ·
Everton and Liverpool, like the city itself, have an Irish connection but you cannot really call them Irish, not?

The only clubs founded by Irishmen were Celtic, Hibernian, and I believe one of the Dundee clubs (previously Dundee Harps, but they changed their name to appeal to a bigger audience)

The stupid thing is some Irishmen really believe that these clubs are Irish clubs. Last time I looked on the map, Glasgow was a Scottish (dare I say, British) city and not an Irish city.

#34 ·
Celtic is like a universal Catholic team with Catholics from everywhere either supporting or sympathizing with them. Same thing with Notre Dame.

For those of you who don't know, Notre Dame is a Catholic University in America who's fan base is almost entirely Catholic and spans the whole of the United States.

#39 ·
When I saw the title of the thread, I thought, Wait a minute, I didn't make a thread in the WFF, then I realised, that's not my user name. :pp

#42 ·
Political, yes. Sectarian, certainly not.

The trouble you have in the many hundreds of posts you've made on here dealing with this subject is that you seem unable to differentiate between the two. Spending a little bit of time living in Ireland doesn't suddenly make you an expert on its troubles.

#43 ·
I never claimed to be an expert, but I did see what I see while visiting Celtic-orientated places. Singing "**** Union Jack" and IRA songs is sectarian IMO. Maybe you call it political, I disagree with that. The IRA songs some of those people sung were as violent as the Billy Boys ; unless you consider that a political song instead of a sectarian song as well?

Point that I try to make: Celtic and Rangers both have a sectarian element in their support, they may be on the opposite side of the fence but they both commit the same "sins". What is the difference between the Billy Boys and waving the Union Jack, or singing violent IRA songs and displaying maps of a unified Ireland?

By the way, your own club board admitted (just like Rangers) there is a sectarian element in the support. I know this element is larger within Rangers support than within Celtic support and that we speak of a small minority. But your own board admitted that this minority is there. I wonder why you try to deny it when your own club is taking measurements to get rid of that minority?

And for the record, I know very well most Celtic fans are great people and that we speak of a small minority. It is this minority I dislike, not Celtic in general. And unfortunately a fair part of this sectarian minority are the ones who live in Ireland and travel to games. Ireland where, apart from many people who love Celtic, a surprising amount also dislike the club (mainly followers of Irish clubs)

#44 ·
Maybe you call it political, I disagree with that. The IRA songs some of those people sung were as violent as the Billy Boys ; unless you consider that a political song instead of a sectarian song as well?
You could disagree with it, but you'd be wrong to do so. The motivation behind the establishment of the IRA was a political one, and that was to create a united Ireland and free the Country from British occupation. Nothing to do with sectarianism.

Point that I try to make: Celtic and Rangers both have a sectarian element in their support, they may be on the opposite side of the fence but they both commit the same "sins". What is the difference between the Billy Boys and waving the Union Jack, or singing violent IRA songs and displaying maps of a unified Ireland?
Again, as i said, the IRA are a politically-motivated organisation. Singing songs in support of their quest for a unified Ireland does not make you a bigot. However, singing songs like The Billy Boys about being up to your knees in the blood of Catholics, is another matter altogether.

By the way, your own club board admitted (just like Rangers) there is a sectarian element in the support. I know this element is larger within Rangers support than within Celtic support and that we speak of a small minority. But your own board admitted that this minority is there. I wonder why you try to deny it when your own club is taking measurements to get rid of that minority?
The club board have admitted to there being a political aspect to a percentage of the Celtic support and have said that's something they'd prefer wasn't there, you're confusing the two issues again. What is laughable though is the double standards of the British media who laud their own Country's troops as being "heroes" when they commit acts of murder and violence in the name of war, yet condemn others as "terrorists" for doing no different. I guess it depends on which type of propaganda best suits your particular agenda.

#45 ·
The IRA are political? :eek: Sorry but you talk about a paramilitary organisation that was just as much as terrorist organisation as the UVF and similar loyalist groups. If you had said Sinn Fein was political and non-sectarian, I would agree. But IRA have taken many innocent lives, they are a paramilitary organisation in the first place. And many songs linked to the IRA do praise these acts of terror, which IMO is not much different from singing the Billy Boys and its famous line about fenian blood. IRA may be founded with political motives but they certainly used terrorist acts to achieve their goals, so to state they are an innocent political organisation doesn't make sense to me.

And Celtic has used the word "sectarian" as well, the club's own board has admitted there is a problem with a small minority of fans. It seems you try to deny things that your own club's board has long admitted (and is doing very good effords to try to solve this problem). Fair enough if you wish to ignore that political element or even justify it, but to call the IRA anything other than a paramilitary organisation doesn't make sense to me. I may not be an expert in Irish history, but I do know which organisations have participated in the paramilitary aspect of the Troubles.

And one more thing about the songs: singing songs that propose or support a unified Ireland is not bigotry, I agree. Sometimes however the lyrics may not be bigotry, but they can become bigotry if you sing them in a specific place or context. For example by singing them in a place where you know it will cause riots or upset.
And if you really are consequent: if Rangers fans would all sing God Save The Queen during their visit to Celtic Park or wave the Union Jack (which indeed has happened often enough), are you consequent enough to consider this non-offensive as well?

#47 · (Edited)
The IRA are political? :eek: Sorry but you talk about a paramilitary organisation that was just as much as terrorist organisation as the UVF and similar loyalist groups. If you had said Sinn Fein was political and non-sectarian, I would agree. But IRA have taken many innocent lives, they are a paramilitary organisation in the first place. And many songs linked to the IRA do praise these acts of terror, which IMO is not much different from singing the Billy Boys and its famous line about fenian blood. IRA may be founded with political motives but they certainly used terrorist acts to achieve their goals, so to state they are an innocent political organisation doesn't make sense to me.
A politically-motivated organisation, yes.

By the way that parliamilitary organisation you talk about by the name of the UVF the British Government were more than happy to collude with and provide arms to on several occasions in the past to execute the murder of innocent Catholic civillians in North Ireland so i'm not sure what that makes those who have inhabited Downing Street in the past, but it certainly wouldn't be far from the labels thrown at the Irish Republican Army by the UK media if they had any consistency. Then there's the whole can of worms that is 'Bloody Sunday' to consider with as well.

And i've already said that the Celtic board have admitted that there's an element of politicising within the Celtic support that they'd prefer didn't exist. At no point have they ever accused them of being sectarian though, as that would simply be utterly innacurate.

And if you really are consequent: if Rangers fans would all sing God Save The Queen during their visit to Celtic Park or wave the Union Jack (which indeed has happened often enough), are you consequent enough to consider this non-offensive as well?
Yes, i'm consistent in that viewpoint.

Singing God Save the Queen and waving Union Flags in the context of an Old Firm derby will be seen as political gesturing as far as Unionism goes, but it can never be deemed as sectarian. Just as waving Irish tricolours and singing in support of a United Ireland isn't either, but i fear we're treading on the forum's toes a little bit here with the political conversation so if you want to continue the discussion then it should probably be through PM from now.

Regards.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.