Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
7,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got 2 teams in Italy now owned by foreigners, the americans at Roma and Erik Thohir at Inter. Whats your opinion of them? Do you think more foreign owners will enter serie a? Will we see an arab sheikh or russian billionaire buy a club soon enough?

What does the future hold for clubs like Napoli, Lazio, Milan etc ? Will they get foreign owners too?

What are the benefits and disadvantages of foreign owners entering italian football?

An inter friend told me, Thohir is buying reus and dzeko.Is this true?

·
Registered
14,067 Posts
Would be quite a signing...the kind that Serie A clubs haven't made in ages.

Generally speaking, foreign owners would be a good thing for the league, simply because right now I can't think of any other way of Italian clubs getting the kind of money required to become internationally competitive.

·
Registered
45,418 Posts
We got 2 teams in Italy now owned by foreigners, the americans at Roma and Erik Thohir at Inter. Whats your opinion of them? Do you think more foreign owners will enter serie a? Will we see an arab sheikh or russian billionaire buy a club soon enough?
what happens with Thohir at Inter could be crucial. If the sporting authorities of Italy are wise they will help him winning a few scudetti Juve-style, so that more foreigners wa... invest their money in serie A clubs.
What does the future hold for clubs like Napoli, Lazio, Milan etc ? Will they get foreign owners too?
why not?

What are the benefits and disadvantages of foreign owners entering italian football?
Money is definitely a benefit. No disadvantages.

An inter friend told me, Thohir is buying reus and dzeko.Is this true?
I don't know

·
Registered
17,505 Posts
I think foreign ownership will help bring Italian football up to international standards, because it will put more outside scrutiny on how the authorities deal with calcio.

For example, it would cause a lot of bad publicity if the municipal councils continued to block attempts for clubs to build their own stadia, especially if foreign owners are behind the push for them.

I think it's a positive trend

·
Administrator
52,179 Posts
If this is what the league needs to bounce back, then the Figc and Italy in general need to be more welcoming to investors. They were quite keen to do everything possible to shut out investors before Roma was bought, let's see if they remain as isolationistic watching their clubs being 4th rate level in Europe.

·
Registered
43,248 Posts
so that more foreigners wa... invest their money in serie A clubs.
:D

If it means more money in the league, then yeah, of course it's a good thing.

Atm, no one knows how much Thohir is willing to spend. But at least the good press generated by all this (with more to come, hopefully) will encourage more people to come in and pump money into teams (not just foreigners but also within Italy).

·
Registered
17,505 Posts
I don't think Thohir will spend much at all, maybe comparable to our sort of budget.

But that would be an improvement for Inter. Milan i'm sure will joint the ranks of the foreign-owned soon enough.

·
Administrator
52,179 Posts
will encourage more people to come in and pump money into teams (not just foreigners but also within Italy).
Its corious, Berlusconi is like the 8th richest italian Billionnaire, but he is the only one who he is in football amongst them (I'm counting individuals, tycoon dynasty families like Benetton or Agnelli notwithstanding).

But I guess fashion billionnaires and football dont go hand in hand :D Because pretty much all the other big kahuna's are fashion people except Michele Ferrerro (chocolate man), who is allways loosely mentionned to buy Milan, but it never gets serious.

Perhaps its not that suprising, France has even more big industry billionnaires, but it takes Qatari and Russians to elevate their clubs to top status. But they are poor comparison, because unlike the extremely football obbsessed Italy, France in general dont seem to be that crazy about the game.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Italian owners are mostly some corrupt tycoons, that are not so rich any more. So yes foreign are only positive, if we compare them to the current situation. But in general I prefer the structure of the German clubs and Barcelona.

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
i hope milan gets one of those rich middle eastern ppl as owners.:D

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Yeah I cant see any real negatives in foreign ownerships taking over Italian clubs.It can only really be a major bonus if they invest quite heavily&a fair bit of progress&strides are made.It remains to be seen only time will tell what impact Thohir has on Inter&what he does:smileani:.

·
Registered
29,326 Posts
Its corious, Berlusconi is like the 8th richest italian Billionnaire, but he is the only one who he is in football amongst them (I'm counting individuals, tycoon dynasty families like Benetton or Agnelli notwithstanding).

But I guess fashion billionnaires and football dont go hand in hand :D Because pretty much all the other big kahuna's are fashion people except Michele Ferrerro (chocolate man), who is allways loosely mentionned to buy Milan, but it never gets serious.

Perhaps its not that suprising, France has even more big industry billionnaires, but it takes Qatari and Russians to elevate their clubs to top status. But they are poor comparison, because unlike the extremely football obbsessed Italy, France in general dont seem to be that crazy about the game.
I seem to remember the Ferrero name mentioned GDS in an article about possible takers for Inter, though was back even before Calciopoli.. Giorgio Armani was mentioned too. :D

Benetton's image hardly goes down well with wasting money lavishly on something childish like a football club, let alone a Serie A club.

Come to think of it, maybe it was Benetton rather than Ferrero that was touted in the possible Inter take-over.

·
Registered
22,221 Posts

Yeah Ozzy Ferrero I recall expressing his interest in Milan as he is a Milanista.But in saying that I don't know about his interest in Inter in the past may be true also:smileani:.

I think well as Berlusca has never really showed highly his intent to sell the club nothing has really been made of the Ferrero interest.But for me I'd welcome a new owner as long as they were going to invest highly&much needed in the club of course hopefully the Sheikhs:flirt::D.

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
Its good for the league i guess.

Hopefully the majority of the clubs in Seria A is still owned by italians. Or else m gonna miss the colourful comments they have after a match.

·
Registered
43,248 Posts

And there you have it. Out of the richest people you mention, only the ones who seem to have a need to profile themselves (Berlu for politics) get into football, which isn't exactly viewed as the most profitable business to get into (unless you want to strip down the business after having taken all you can from investors, etc).

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
Until there is an infusion of capital into more stadiums, making the clubs more profitable, then I don't see too much improvement on this front. However this might be an opportune time to purchase a club since I doubt they are being priced fairly compared to their other European counterparts for the reasons stated above.

·
Registered
7,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Looks like thai ownership for AC Milan coming. SO Inter, Roma and Milan will be in foreign hands.
Will Any of them stop Juve's dominance in years to come? Will Juventus have superior political advantage in the league to its rivals?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts