Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
11,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MY SASSY GIRLFRIEND: (originaly korean)
dont underestimate this korean film. one of best films i seen in my life and i am huge movie buff, atleast one a week. its great and i think its rights have been brought my dreamworks and they will make a english production of it. ( i hear toby - that spiderman boy will play main character) sort of like wat happened to the ring, so watch the original before you watch the english versoin.
this is a comedy, and very funny. it has also a great storyline that will make you cry.

INFERNAL AFFAIRS 1, 2, 3: ( originaly china)
a very intricate plot line about police corruption and traids. great movie, for the intelligent. i also read news that US bought rights to the first infernal affairs. i think it will star brad pitt and ben affleck in it. its a great movie that in here australia, they even show it at some movie cinema's. so thats good, even got reviews from the newspaper.

well thats 2 movies from my culture that will be made into US films.

any of yours?

i just find it taht makes me angry some people dont realise the "real" creators behind these films.

for example i remember the film "50 first dates" adam sandler and drew barrymore is actually based on a chinese movie also about a girl who has short term memory and the guy blah blah blah. and this movie was made LONG before 50 first dates.

do the remakes actually pay any respect to the originals? makes me angry anyway. ia m sure if US took one of your films from your country and took the credit for, you wouldnt be to happy.

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
Swiftwilly said:
a very intricate plot line about police corruption and traids. great movie, for the intelligent. i also read news that US bought rights to the first infernal affairs. i think it will star brad pitt and ben affleck in it. its a great movie that in here australia, they even show it at some movie cinema's. so thats good, even got reviews from the newspaper.
a great trilogy, but obviously the 1st one was the best, than again, what do you expect with an all-star cast (with the likes of Tony Leung & Andy Lau) and terrific screenplay by Alan Mak.
And yeah, you're right Swiftwilly, they're doing a remake of it in Hollywood, Warner Bros. Pictures paid a whopping $1.75 million to acquire the rights to a remake and apparently Martin Scorsese is directing it:D

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
It always happens. There's a big trend in Hollywood of taking very good European films and completely f*cking up with them. It is a perverse thing to do.

thank god its never happened with subcontinent films. It's the other way round. here we have bollywood filmmakers taking hollwood romantic comedies and old broadway hits like west side story and completely f*cking up with them. It is an incredibly unnecessary and despicable activity.

:)

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Swiftwilly said:
Infernal Affairs is from China?! That's new! :rolleyes: ANY productions from Hong Kong is considered to be "foreign" in China, and they even needed to change the ending of the film to make a special version only for China (excluding Hong Kong and Macau) so that the film would be allowed to show legally there. The explanation I have heard is that particular version can "suit the situation in China" while the original script cannot be accepted by the Chinese government...

This is not my first time to say that but HONG KONG IS NOT THE SAME AS CHINA! :stuckup: I feel so fed up when people keep saying that Hong Kong films are "from China", when the reality is that our films are considered to be as foreign as any Hollywood productions there.

To reply the topic, "City of Angels" (Meg Ryan and Nicholas Cage) is the Hollywood version of a German film called Der Himmel über Berlin (Wings of Desire). The German one is way better.

·
Second Place winner, October 2012 XT Photo Contest
3,938 Posts
The Magnificent Seven was a remake of The Seven Samurai. I actually like the one with Yul Brenner better than the Kurosawa epic.

RIO

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Swiftwilly said:
MY SASSY GIRLFRIEND: (originaly korean)
dont underestimate this korean film. one of best films i seen in my life and i am huge movie buff, atleast one a week. its great and i think its rights have been brought my dreamworks and they will make a english production of it. ( i hear toby - that spiderman boy will play main character) sort of like wat happened to the ring, so watch the original before you watch the english versoin.
this is a comedy, and very funny. it has also a great storyline that will make you cry..
It's suprise to see someone interested in Korean Movie.:happy: Of course, it was a big hit in Korea. Especially many young couples enjoyed this movie.

To me, this movie is good :thumbsup:, but not great. If you know about Korea culture this movie will bring more fun to you. But anyway, it's just soft romantic comedy movie.

By the way, this movie is based on real story. :eek:

·
Registered
11,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Shanie said:
Infernal Affairs is from China?! That's new! :rolleyes: ANY productions from Hong Kong is considered to be "foreign" in China, and they even needed to change the ending of the film to make a special version only for China (excluding Hong Kong and Macau) so that the film would be allowed to show legally there. The explanation I have heard is that particular version can "suit the situation in China" while the original script cannot be accepted by the Chinese government...

This is not my first time to say that but HONG KONG IS NOT THE SAME AS CHINA! :stuckup: I feel so fed up when people keep saying that Hong Kong films are "from China", when the reality is that our films are considered to be as foreign as any Hollywood productions there.

To reply the topic, "City of Angels" (Meg Ryan and Nicholas Cage) is the Hollywood version of a German film called Der Himmel über Berlin (Wings of Desire). The German one is way better.

i am disgusted with people saying that to. HONG KONG IS PART OF CHINA its very simple, check your local maps if your still not sure :howler: your part of the new superpower, a country growing at 10% GDP per year. thats like saying how shanghai isnt part of china. jsut stupid. once britain handed back you to china, you are part of china, full stop, doesnt matter how ignorant or how much pride you feel for hong kong, in the end you are part of china.

anyway, does these films at the end pay any respect to the films the copied? the ones i seen, i didnt see a "based on the original film XXX by XXX" ??? thats kinda dodgy

EDIT// shanie read this if the ending of the first one did not lead into the arrest, then infernal affairs 3 would not make sense to you. why? if you ever watched 3, andy lau gets demoted to lower ranks in the police force and handles washing clothing for a while. SO THUS, IF THE ENDING DID NOT END AS HIM GETTING ARRESTED YOU CAN WAVE GOODBYE TO INFERNAL AFFAIRS 3. THUS THE HK VERSION OF THE FILM IS WRONG. :)

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Swiftwilly said:
i am disgusted with people saying that to. HONG KONG IS PART OF CHINA its very simple, check your local maps if your still not sure :howler: your part of the new superpower, a country growing at 10% GDP per year. thats like saying how shanghai isnt part of china. jsut stupid. once britain handed back you to china, you are part of china, full stop, doesnt matter how ignorant or how much pride you feel for hong kong, in the end you are part of china.
Read carefully what I wrote. I'm talking about the "treatments" of what the Hong Kong films have got in China. It's A FACT. I never say that Hong Kong is not a part of China, but in China, the status of Hong Kong films is not different from, let's say, a film from Hollywood. And internationally, all Hong Kong films are labelled as "Hong Kong", or "Hong Kong, China", rather than only "China"... see the differences?!

I wonder why it is stupid to point out a fact in our film industry. Let me give you another example: we have our own representatives in international games like World Cup and Olympics. If someone mistakes that Chan Ka-Kei (HK national goalkeeper) is in the Chinese national team. Is it stupid for me to answer "oh, Chan Ka-Kei in the Chinese NT?! That's new to me. No, he is the goalkeeper of the Hong Kong NT. He doesn't and can't represent China. Hong Kong is different from China"?

All Chinese friends of mine say that Infernal Affair is a Hong Kong film, except you. I'm doing quite well in my geography and I live somewhere just 1/2 hour away from the border of Hong Kong and China. I understand what you said, but you don't seem to know what is going on in reality. What is more is that you don't need to insult me or accuse me of being an ignorant Hongkonger or refuse to admit that my city is a part of China, because I'm fully aware of the fact that I do live within the borders of Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, People's Republic of China.

I haven't seen Infernal Affair 3 so I have no idea what you're talking about. But Infernal Affair was originally based on a script of ONE film, while the other two were only made because of commercial reasons, i.e. after the big success of the original Infernal Affair.

·
Registered
11,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yes the mix up about hk and china is because hk is governed differently, and you still keep old ways. thats why you have all that hk NT sides etc.

well you havent seen infernal affairs 3 then why argue? go see it then you'll see wat i mean by which supposed ending is the true ending. :cool:

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Swiftwilly said:
well you havent seen infernal affairs 3 then why argue? go see it then you'll see wat i mean by which supposed ending is the true ending. :cool:
I was stating a fact, and it is also what the scriptwriter said in different interviews. The so-called true ending of a film doesn't interest me, nor provoke me to argue...

One more fact: Brad Pitt and co. would only re-make Infernal Affair, not the so-called triology.

·
Registered
12,570 Posts
La Femme Nikita, they made a remake in America that was horrible but the original is one of my fav.
Star Wars too is from an asian story.
Than Madonna made this swept away movie that was horrible when the orignal Italian is awesome. Welcome to collywood I think is kinda gotten from a Toto' movie. :)

·
Registered
11,477 Posts
Falcão83 said:
Star Wars too is from an asian story.
Get real. It is original story by Georgo Lucas, where the inspirations is mainly from several sources of mythology. He wanted to make new saga about heroism for the new generation.

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
Vanillia Sky is a re-make of a spanish film called Open Your Eyes, which both starred Penélope Cruz
the original is great, but i haven't seen the re-make yet

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
No Jkris, he's right.

Kurosawa's The Fortress was Lucas' inspiration for Star Wars. The main elements of the Star Wars movie's plot are directly lifted from The Fortress.

As for this thread, I'll contribute Le Cage Aux Folles, which was horribly remade as The Bird Cage.

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
well, its not like that was the only inspiration for george lucas and the Star Wars films can hardly be said to be based on 'the hidden fortress', other than C3PO and R2D2 being robot versions of the two peasant clowns in hidden fortress. the storyline is very similar (agreed) and Lucas has acknowledged it, but the storyline is hardly the strong point of the Star Wars saga in the first place, is it?

so it wasn't a 'foreign film made into a US film'.

I think a more prominent comparison would be of Kurosawa's Yojimbo with Eastwood's Fistful of Dollars. The former was way better though :).

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Falcao said the story in the first Star Wars movie was from an asian film. He's right in that regard. The major plot elements are all there. I didn't say Star Wars was a remake.

·
Registered
11,477 Posts
Tinto said:
Falcao said the story in the first Star Wars movie was from an asian film. He's right in that regard. The major plot elements are all there. I didn't say Star Wars was a remake.
I saw a interview and documentary about him as late as two days ago and he mentioned several inspirations for the movies. None of those where that movie. So to say that the story is based upon it is way off.

But I have not seen that fortress movie, so I can't comment on it. What is the story then and don't say something braindead like "the same as Star Wars". Star Wars original theme was "redemption" (original movies, the three newer ones was not intendeded to be screened).

·
Registered
11,477 Posts
Tinto said:
Priceless.

Here ya go JKris, I'm surprised you have not heard this...it's quite well known.

http://www.canoe.ca/JamStarWars/may27_fortress.html
But that was ONLY about the phatom menace. Not a mention about the others except C3PO and R2-D2. I seen the oldest Star Wars scripts which was entirerly different and the movies like Phatom menace was hardly even a concept back in the time.

So you should have said that Phatom menace drew inspiration upon it.

I made a search on that movie and saw several comparison assumptions and the main plot of the movie. the different assumptions and comparisons contradicted themself. The main characters most closely resembles the Millenium Falcon crew in some parts of "The empire strikes back" (except that general = Han Solo comparison is far fetched). But then it does not follow it story wise at all. As for the Phantom Menace the main storyline is closer to heart and more believeable.

While some said the general was Hans solo others said it was the Jedis.

In the end, it is in no way BASED upon that movie, but 1 out of 6 seems to draw heavily upon it inspirartion wise.

I can give you dozens of other inspirations sources for the movies and if you see a interview with him you can get the most reliable source of them all. Lord of the rings is one.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts