Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
XT Oldie
8,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we out-classed, out-played the britons today. I am really proud of our boys. Nice to see Nuno get on the International goal sheet. Who says we don't have an offence? :)

They showed courage, grit, determination...all fantastic qualities for a championship club! Here's to Portugal's win! 1 of hopefully 5 more :)

FORCA PORTUGAL!!!!!

P.S. Abel Xavier for man of the match.

O

·
0 Posts
I agree. Great hair cut too!

Wow!

What character!
What determination!
What sweet football!

Club loyalties aside, that was one beautiful goal JVP scored! Absolutely brilliant!

Here's the bitc_!
As you probably know, up here in Canada we get to see all the games live for free on a channel called TSN and its sister channel OLN. The main feed is from some bullshi_ outfit in England called ITV (I think?)I have already sent a few faxes to these morons (TSN) about the crappy coverage TSN and ITV put on. What garbage? TSN didn't even put together some footage of Portugal's qualification games or a profile on Figo or on anybody. However, for England jeez. I think they showed Beckham taking a dump while his anorexic wife played with their accident. As for ITV, what biased crap! Not only have these two idiots, who gave the play by play make xenophobic comments in the past, they totally made a joke of the Portuguese names these players had on their shirts. For christ sakes as a professional sportscaster take the time to acquaint yourself with the names of players. Jorge Costa became Spanish during the 90 minutes! What a beautiful display of British arrogance!?

One more thing. Hey Marcoa, I'd be a bit carefull jumping on and off the bandwagon! You might get your knees scrapped.

- From craddle to grave,
Always Portugal!

[Edited by Ola on 13-06-2000 at 04:52]

·
XT Oldie
8,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ola I said " 1 of hopefully 5 more".

YOu must understand the feeling I am going through...i have never seen us Battle back to win a game like that...easily the best game i have ever seen us play....We do have a potential championship side...but we have to remain modest in our ambitions and not let our ego's creep up on us (1986).

Next comes Romania. I will be watching that game with the idea that we have a 0-0-0 record :)

And Ola I couldn't agree with you more about the British and TSN coverage. Normally I like Legget but he constantly disses us and then says we win because England lowered their game...bah! We won because we outplayed them and controlled the game...sigh.....what does it take to earn these b astards respect.

L

·
0 Posts
Absolutley amazing on so many levels!!!! We go down early, I think because of nerves, but what a come back!! This will hopefully shut those critics up who keep saying Portugal can't score and that our strikers are crap. No way is Joao Pinto washed up, he's still one of our best, and any team will be lucky to have him. Figo and Rui Costa....pure class.

We've got a damn good team here, we earned and deserved it all the way.

PS- Graeme Souness must be hiding in a closet somwhere in the fetal position sucking his thumb. Didn't he say Nuno Gomes would be so scared of Adams that he'd be afraid to cross the centre line?? what an idiot, maybe he'll shut his hole now!

D

·
0 Posts
I have a feeling Portugal will finish top of Group A. They put on an amzing performance of outstanding class and creativity, especially Rui Costa, the new Zidane, and tremendous determination, recovering from 2-0 down. England's defending in the 2nd half was however a pure disgrace, the worst defending in Euro 2000 so far. Beckham was in the end the only good player, and Portugal could have rubbed salt in the wound by scoring another couple of goals.
MVP defintely goes to Rui Costa, Portugal and France have put on the best performances so far.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Greatest performance I've ever seen from our boys. Im soooo happy! Rui and Figo..does anyone have a midfield like that. And Nuno showed that he can be our next great striker. JVP showed he is far from finished and the defence was solid apart from the first 15 minutes.

And Coelho won the coach battle vs. Keegan: England figured we would play JVP and Nuno on top and set up a 4 man defense. But the joke was on them as JVP acted as an offensive midfielder, which gave us total control in midfield. Thats where we won this game.

The most positive thing besides our excellent play is the morale that was shown. As far as I can remember, a portuguese national side down by 2-0 would not have it in them to come back like this. I think the fear of a Portugal flop can be brushed aside now :)

FORCA PORTUGAL!!!

·
Registered
964 Posts
WOW , what a great game and if you noticed Nuno Gomes scored 3 goals.The two disallowed were goals where he was clearly onside.I take everything back that i said about him.
Englands first goal was Costa's mistake he gave Beckham to much time to cross and Bento or Vidigal should have come back to pick up Scholes and Mcmanaman.After that Portugal played great ball though we sat an defended and let England play and we almost payed for it.
Maybe we should bring in Rui for Dimas in the next match as Dimas made a few errors.Sousa should also come in place of Vidigal to add that bit of experience , because now we are coming up to play Hagi and Mattheus two very experienced players.
And Ola,Marcoa i also get the ITV couverage and i agree that those wankers cant accept defeat but hey we got the last laugh.
What do you guys think should be the starting line-up for Romania.Heres mine.
----------Baia----------
------Couto--Costa------
Xavier------------George
------Sousa--Bento------
--Figo--R.Costa--J.V.P--
---------Gomes----------

I put in Gomes as he deserved it after his previous performance and i think we need his pace up front , but if he has a bad 1st half i would change him with Pauleta or Sa.
Viva Portugal
Let's prove them wrong.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Great Stuff Portugal! I cracked open a bottle of Portuguese wine and watched the goals again (and agiain) afterwards in a little celebration. Great to see real football beating the sterile stuff England were playing. Hopefully you come second in the group cos I am going to the quarter final in Brussels involving the runner up of Group A. Of course you wil probably win the group.

Anyway congratulations on a brilliant win

One Happy Irishman

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Great Stuff Portugal! I cracked open a bottle of Portuguese wine and watched the goals again (and agiain) afterwards in a little celebration. Great to see real football beating the sterile stuff England were playing. Hopefully you come second in the group cos I am going to the quarter final in Brussels involving the runner up of Group A. Of course you wil probably win the group.

Anyway congratulations on a brilliant win

One Happy Irishman

J

·
0 Posts
Yes we beat those POMMY POOFS that is a lesson for them 2 learn that PORTUGAL have probably the best midfield...
What the hell did POOF SPICE exept the 2 crosses???

Also DIMAS isn't a player 4 the national team...
And is ABEL XAVIER 1 scary B A S T A R D ...

J

·
0 Posts
Yes we beat those POMMY POOFS that is a lesson for them 2 learn that PORTUGAL have probably the best midfield...
What the hell did POOF SPICE exept the 2 crosses???

Also DIMAS isn't a player 4 the national team...
And is ABEL XAVIER 1 scary B A S T A R D ...

D

·
0 Posts
I have bought practically all the papers this morning as souvenirs - they are all cringing with jealousy over here! Everyone is saying how brilliant Rui Costa was and how poor England were and all that crap! But we have the last laugh on the critics!

If we beat Romania we are through and can play Quim vs Germany as well as Conceicao, maybe Capucho as an experiment!!!! Who would of thought that!! Here they are saying how England could still go through with 2 points if Portugal win there remaining games and if England draw their 2 last games and go through on GD.

Nuno Gomes could be the answer to our problems - he must play vs Romania. Stelea is rubbish and Luis and Manuel will test him.

But that defending in the second half from us was brilliant - how did we defend so well?? Amazing. Jorge Costa was a rock! The Sun this morning ratted Abel Xavier only 6/10 but gave 9/10 to Rui Costa and MOM.

D

·
0 Posts
I have bought practically all the papers this morning as souvenirs - they are all cringing with jealousy over here! Everyone is saying how brilliant Rui Costa was and how poor England were and all that crap! But we have the last laugh on the critics!

If we beat Romania we are through and can play Quim vs Germany as well as Conceicao, maybe Capucho as an experiment!!!! Who would of thought that!! Here they are saying how England could still go through with 2 points if Portugal win there remaining games and if England draw their 2 last games and go through on GD.

Nuno Gomes could be the answer to our problems - he must play vs Romania. Stelea is rubbish and Luis and Manuel will test him.

But that defending in the second half from us was brilliant - how did we defend so well?? Amazing. Jorge Costa was a rock! The Sun this morning rated Abel Xavier only 6/10 but gave 9/10 to Rui Costa and MOM.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Xavier was very poor for England's 2nd goal and to be fair had a stinker in the 1st half (as did Couto). They obviously got a right bollocking at half time cos they were different players in the second half. We're scared ****less here cos we have to go to Lisbon in October for a WC qualifier. That guy Dimas impressed me too.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
First off to Badge: on behalf of the US national team, I apologize for the complete fraud of a goal that the US scored versus Ireland here in Boston last week. You guys were clearly robbed!

Now to the main event - yes!

The British press always has, and always be - anglocentric. There's no way around it. An H-bomb could drop on New York City, killing 8 million people and the headline of the London Times would read:

3 BRIT EXPATS PERISH IN US BLAST

With the exception of Bobby Robson, none of the commentators wanted to give them any credit - but that's just par for the course with them. Good point by Ola on Costa's nationality. Apparently Nuno Gomes is Spanish also (they continuously pronounced it "Gomez").

Gomes did score 3 times - and as I was saying to Marcoa, that first international goal under his belt may have been just what he needed to get his confidence up.

A great win - one for the ages!

Forca Portugal!

·
XT Oldie
8,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
its true...we are not Portuguese...we are spanish wanna-be's :rolleyes:...ignorant british:mad:.

Dani, Stelea is not rubbish! He is really good! One of the worlds better keepers and I would take him on Porto any day of the week!

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
according to nearly all the british press we only seemed to have won because england were crap in defence i mean god forbid that portugal played well!
P.S anyone else find it funny that spain lost!!!!

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
oh yeah and did anyone see the germany game playing like we did yesterday we would have got atleast 5 against germany and 3 against romania

·
Registered
964 Posts
SLB if we play like we did we can beat anybody.
What a match between Yugoslavia and Slovenia they have come back by 3 goals in the space of 6 minutes/wow.
And Yugoslavia are 10 men down.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts