Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Helsingborg starlet Razak Omotoyossi has revealed that he turned down a switch to Eredivisie side FC Groningen in January for financial reasons.

The 22-year-old Benin international scored 14 goals in Allsvenskan last year and six in the Uefa Cup and has also been linked with moves to Reading, Derby and Portsmouth.

And he admits the move to Holland would have gone through - had Groningen offered him more money.

"Footballers are like prostitutes - we want to be where the money is," he told Helsingborgs Dagblad.

"Therefore, I would never reject the chance to play for anyone. It's a matter of money.

"The offer from Groningen was enough for the club, but they didn't want to pay me what I wanted."
:howler:

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
31,893 Posts
who wouldnt go where the money is !!!

its his choice to pick the oldest profession in the world as an example.

·
Registered
15,157 Posts
At least he's honest.

·
Administrator
53,292 Posts
He is not an idiot, he is just being too frank in saying the obvious. People prefer to put up appearances and be two-faced PR whores who kiss the clubs badge in their first game, even if said in the article, they mostly go their because the team offered the most.

In peoples eyes, its allright to be a mercenary aslong as you arent too obvious and out yourself. So he is partly ruining his image by saying the obvious of what most live by.

·
Registered
23,264 Posts
He is a idiot, you just don't say such things because other interested clubs would then look away.

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
31,893 Posts
They go for money , they choose location , and try to make as much as possible.

There is nothing wrong with that. Also nothing NOBLE about pointing at the players.

Its basically everywhere., any profession bar Charitable, Altruistic NGO's and stuff.

·
Administrator
53,292 Posts
You can deem it unprofessional to be too honest and say the inconvenient truth (and make your chances worse because this lessens his image), but he is not an idiot at all.

·
Premium Member
11,360 Posts
He is a idiot, you just don't say such things because other interested clubs would then look away.
Why? Every manager or sporting director in the world knows 98% of players care mostly (and often only) about money when they choose their new club. It's actually refreshing to see a player being honest about it and not choose the usual obvious lies "I am looking for a new challenge" or "I happen to be a fan of my new club since childhood but have kept this secret until now, and that's why I chose them, the fact that they offered me the most money never played any part in my decision, I swear". ;)

·
Registered
291 Posts
I liked Razaks comment. Spot on. ;)

·
Registered
33,807 Posts
It's a refreshing honesty. Other players try to insult the supporters' intelligence by kissing their club badge and harping on about how they've loved their club since childhood, but then being out the door as soon as someone else comes along and offers them a few more Euros. No doubt that there are still players from whom other factors play an important role, but they are more the exception than the rule.

·
Third Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
10,913 Posts
True that. And it's still better than 'I wanna goto England to learn English'.

·
Fourth Place Winner, April Photo Contest 2008
3,512 Posts
If he does another good season he'll surely pick up a tidy offer, the guy knows his stuff.

·
Registered
68,407 Posts
If they weren't in it for the money then they'd be playing in the local park instead of commiting their entire lives to becoming proffesionals.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts