Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
an idea; thread containing terms from the football world in hebrew.

I'll start with a few , feel free to ask or add.

Referee - Shofet

Whistle - Mashrokit

Player - Sachkan

Red Card - Kartis Adom

Yellow Card - Kartis Tzahov

Promotion - Aliyah

Promoted - Ola

Relegation - Yerida

Relegated - Yoredet

Team - Kvutza

Club - Moadon

Football - Kaduregel

Stadium - Itstadion

Yarok Ole - Green up (Green is the color of Maccabi Haifa)

Tzahov Ole - Green up (Green is the color of Maccabi TA)

Adom Ole - Green up (Green is the color of Hapoel TA)

Forza/Go = Yalla

Hoze = Contract

Pitch - Migrash

Goal - Sha'ar

Goalkeeper - Sho'er

Defender - Magen

Midfielder - Kashar

Striker - Halutz

Tribune - Yetzia

Fan - Ohed

Fans - Ohadim

Coach - Me'amen

Titpater, Titpater - Quit, Quit - common call for a coach to quit after a bad match :D

Thats all i can think of right now....comments?

·
Registered
773 Posts
Good idea Raful!

Yarok Ole - Green up (Green is the color of Maccabi Haifa)

I think that we could translate this as Green On The Rise!

]

·
Registered
773 Posts
Son of a b*tch - ben zona (common curse for the ref at football fields in Israel)

he,he Almost right Revivo. Ben zona is son of a whore. The ref's mother is usually insulted by this one ;)

What about: ode chamesh dakot yah manayak! Any translation? he,he

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
There's the literal translation, which is what you wrote, and the common translation, which is son of a b*tch (you want to identify to a curse in english).

The best translation for that you wrote would be:
5 more minutes, you assh*le (another nice words for the ref, usually from the bench and fans of a losing team right after the final whistle in an important game)

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
Sure you hear it all the time, especially when you live in CANADA!

Here's another term that you hear this season:

Gambler - mehamer (another nickname for the ref due to the latest scandal)

·
Registered
258 Posts
What meaning is "EL EL Israel !!" of cheering?
Also, Does the Israeli national team have the other popular shout?

Sorry, Although it is not a soccer term.....It is about Israelis' name.
As for all Avi, is the real name(full name) Avraham?
Dedy or Dudu, is the real name David?
Eli, is the real name Eliyahu?

In the other sites, Arik Benado is sometimes written to be Ariel Benado. Is this a mere mistake?

The addition:
In Haifa, Is there a shop which sells uniform and goods of the Israeli NT and Maccabi Haifa, other club?
How much is the uniform of NT?
How much is the uniform of Maccabi Haifa (Hapoel Tel-Aviv,Maccabi Tel-Aviv...etc)?
How much is the goods of the muffler and the cap and so on?

I'm glad when it writes in U.S. dollar.;)

·
Registered
773 Posts
That is an interesting question Japanese. I'll tell you my answer and someone else can correct me if it is wrong. In Hebrew, Israel is "Yis-ra-el" So they took the "el" at the end and made it into a team cheer because it rhymes: El El YIS-RA-EL!" It really does not mean anything as far as I know but is used only because it rhymes. Anyone have a different explanation?

No. Avi can be used in Hebrew as a short name for a lot of names such as Aviram, or any other name that starts with Avi- but it usually is Avraham.

Dedy or Dudu, is the real name David? Yes
Eli, is the real name Eliyahu? Not always. Same answer as for Avi. Someone named Elimelech or Eliran can also be called Eli as a short form.

In the other sites, Arik Benado is sometimes written to be Ariel Benado. Is this a mere mistake? I'm not sure if Arik Benado is Ariel but you can be sure that he was not born with the name Arik since it is only a nickname. I know someone named Aharon whom people also call Arik.

]

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Japanes......

I think, when israel says...EL EL ISRAEL, its kinda means "LETS GO ISRAEL!!!" :) in a sort of cheering path....

I think that is the only Israeli Cheer.... :) Unless you have another one that goes like this....and i'll translate it to you from hebrew 2 english.....
One guy goes "WHO IS NEXT IN LINE"
then crowd "GERMANY IS NEXT IN LINE"
One guy goes "Who is next in line"
then crowd "Greece is next in line"
one guy goes "who is next in line"
then crowd "Japanese is next in line"... and so forth....

About the names that you asked on...Avi or Avraham....it is just short term names for them...Like Liz and Elizabeth and Bob and robert

I don't think the players do mind, but it does get confusing if you call them if the short name once in a while, like we had a an incident when i called avraham grant, AVI...!?!?!?! same thing but might confuse someone....

About the jerseys....

As far as i know Maccabi Haifa has there own Merchandise store in the city of Haifa. In a mall called the Grand Canyon. I never been there nor have i see the store, but they sell things from shoes to hats to underwear to jackets to possibly anything that has to do with Maccabi Haifa.
If you really want to get them, then i suggest that you go to the offical web site of Maccabi Haifa, they sell them for 160 Shekels which is like...32.50 US!!! Which is not bad for a LOTTO, MACCABI HAIFA JERSEY!! :) Wouldn't you think..and theres more there like umbrelles and stickers and stuff.....it will cool if you drive around japan with a maccabi haifa bannner :)

The NT uniform is hard to say, many don't sell it. I think just in Israel. I have a NT Jersey and i got it from Israel. It is the Home jersey and it is a puma...and in the back they have writing saying Israel which is kinda cool! You can get that for the same price as well......

As for the other jerseys such as hapoel Tel Aviv and Maccabi Tel Aviv, go to DIADORA STORE ISRAEL , they sell jerseys there too, for 106 Shekels which is just 21 dollars. Plus they got shirts too and caps and underwear and suites too! but they run for about 100 dollars, so i don't really recommend that, but if you like jersey you should go to there.

and also....
Go check hapoel beer sheva offical web site....If you are like me and like KAPPA they sell it. and the jersey for Kappa/Hapoel Beer sheva is like.....120 shekels and they got shrits, caps and scarfs for a insanely price of 15 and 30 sheks! :) can't beat that? :)

anything else

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Japanese said:
Also, Does the Israeli national team have the other popular shout?

Dedy or Dudu, is the real name David?
Eli, is the real name Eliyahu?

In the other sites, Arik Benado is sometimes written to be Ariel Benado. Is this a mere mistake?

About they "El El Israel" i don't think it's has some special meaning.

El in hebrew is a god or the word "to" but i think evry body says that because it's rimes.

About the names you got it right Eli, Arik, and Dudu are all short's for their names.

I don't really know about the prices in Haifa but usually a club uniform (no matter what club) costs between 80-200 NIS (15$-40$).

There are "Fake" uniforms that costs about 5$.

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
Arik Benado is Ariel Benado, that's what usually Arik is the short too (just like Arik Sharon is Ariel Sharon).

Kappa, just like in here, you only refer to someone as Avi, Eli, etc. if they refer to themselves as that name. You don't just make it up.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts