Xtratime Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Nice read ..

http://www.snopes.com/sports/soccer/barbados.htm

Forget England-Argentina/Germany/Portugal and all the rest and listen to this one.
It concerns a match played between Barbados and Grenada in cup competition.

Barbados needed to win the game by two clear goals in order to progress to the next round. Now the trouble was caused by a daft rule in the competition which stated that in the event of a game going to penalty kicks, the winner of the penalty kicks would be awarded a 2-0 victory.

With 5 minutes to go, Barbados were leading 2-1, and going out of the tournament (because they needed to win by 2 clear goals). Then, when they realized they were probably not going to score against Grenada's massed defence, they turned round, and deliberately scored on their own goal to level the scores and take the game into penalties. Grenada, themselves not being stupid, realized what was going on, and then attempted to score an own goal themselves. However, the Barbados players started defending their opponents goal to prevent this.

In the last five minutes, spectators were treated to the incredible sight of both team's defending their opponents goal against attackers desperately trying to score an own goal and goalkeepers trying to throw the ball into their own net. The game went to penalties, which Barbados won and so were awarded a 2-0 victory and progressed to the next round.

Origins : This anecdote is largely true as reported above, save for a few minor discrepancies.

The incident took place during a final group match between Barbados and Grenada for the Shell Caribbean Cup in February 1994. The Barbados team had to win the match by at least two goals in order to face Trinidad and Tobago in the finals; anything less and Grenada advanced to the next round instead. The rules in effect at the time specified that if the score were tied at the end of regulation play, the match would continue into sudden-death overtime (not a penalty kicks round, as stated above), and the first team to score during the overtime period would be considered a two-goal winner.

As detailed above, Barbados was leading 2-0 well into the second half of play, when Grenada finally managed to score a goal in the 83rd minute to make the score 2-1. Barbados realized with three minutes to play that they were unlikely to score again in the time remaining and deliberately kicked the ball into their own goal to tie the match at 2-2 and force an overtime period. Grenada then attempted to score on their own goal to prevent the match from going into overtime, but Barbados had already started defending Grenada's goal to prevent them from succeeding. The two teams then spent the remaining few minutes with Barbados defending both ends of the field as Grenada tried to put the ball into either goal, but time expired with the score still tied. Four minutes into overtime play, Barbados scored and advanced to the finals.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I also remember is last season's CL match between Dynamo Kiev and Inter Milan (not directly related with the thread though). The score was 2-2 with some 10-15 minutes left and both the teams had to win to qualify. Can't forget those minutes ever. No time wasted. Free kicks, goal kicks taken quickly, throw ins taken quickly. Chanes every 20 seconds. It was really exciting, especially for me, as a neutral. That's the way the matches should be ;).

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alexey said:
Why didn't the goalie just catch it and put it in his own net?
Maybe the forwards did not allow the goalie to catch the ball ;).

·
Registered
402 Posts
What's the problem, just fluff a high ball into the area and the goalkeeper should reach it with his hands, unless someone fouls him and then it's a deadly goal kick.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
mrigank said:
Nice read ..

http://www.snopes.com/sports/soccer/barbados.htm

Forget England-Argentina/Germany/Portugal and all the rest and listen to this one.
It concerns a match played between Barbados and Grenada in cup competition.

Barbados needed to win the game by two clear goals in order to progress to the next round. Now the trouble was caused by a daft rule in the competition which stated that in the event of a game going to penalty kicks, the winner of the penalty kicks would be awarded a 2-0 victory.

With 5 minutes to go, Barbados were leading 2-1, and going out of the tournament (because they needed to win by 2 clear goals). Then, when they realized they were probably not going to score against Grenada's massed defence, they turned round, and deliberately scored on their own goal to level the scores and take the game into penalties. Grenada, themselves not being stupid, realized what was going on, and then attempted to score an own goal themselves. However, the Barbados players started defending their opponents goal to prevent this.

In the last five minutes, spectators were treated to the incredible sight of both team's defending their opponents goal against attackers desperately trying to score an own goal and goalkeepers trying to throw the ball into their own net. The game went to penalties, which Barbados won and so were awarded a 2-0 victory and progressed to the next round.

Origins : This anecdote is largely true as reported above, save for a few minor discrepancies.

The incident took place during a final group match between Barbados and Grenada for the Shell Caribbean Cup in February 1994. The Barbados team had to win the match by at least two goals in order to face Trinidad and Tobago in the finals; anything less and Grenada advanced to the next round instead. The rules in effect at the time specified that if the score were tied at the end of regulation play, the match would continue into sudden-death overtime (not a penalty kicks round, as stated above), and the first team to score during the overtime period would be considered a two-goal winner.

As detailed above, Barbados was leading 2-0 well into the second half of play, when Grenada finally managed to score a goal in the 83rd minute to make the score 2-1. Barbados realized with three minutes to play that they were unlikely to score again in the time remaining and deliberately kicked the ball into their own goal to tie the match at 2-2 and force an overtime period. Grenada then attempted to score on their own goal to prevent the match from going into overtime, but Barbados had already started defending Grenada's goal to prevent them from succeeding. The two teams then spent the remaining few minutes with Barbados defending both ends of the field as Grenada tried to put the ball into either goal, but time expired with the score still tied. Four minutes into overtime play, Barbados scored and advanced to the finals.

LMAO :howler:

please, if anyone has a video of this, please let me know :dielaugh:

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
mrigank said:
I also remember is last season's CL match between Dynamo Kiev and Inter Milan (not directly related with the thread though). The score was 2-2 with some 10-15 minutes left and both the teams had to win to qualify. Can't forget those minutes ever. No time wasted. Free kicks, goal kicks taken quickly, throw ins taken quickly. Chanes every 20 seconds. It was really exciting, especially for me, as a neutral. That's the way the matches should be ;).
It was 1-1 and of course, we were eliminated. :rolleyes: Stupid Zac...

And it was only 1-1 for the last 5 minutes, excluding the injury time. I don't recall such an incident though. :confused: If my memory serves me correctly, Arsenal were already through and Dynamo Kyiv were already out even from the 3rd condemned-to-UEFA-Cup spot. I'm not sure though. :)

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Arsenal were through but for the second spot, Kiev and Inter needed a win else the 4th team was through. After the equaliser, there was a mad rush for goals :).

·
Registered
17,451 Posts
Surely it can't be that hard to score on your own net:eek:

I remeber the Inter-Kiev game like it was yesterday, it was honestly one of the most incredible matches i've ever seen.

·
Administrator
53,260 Posts
Agree about the Kiev game Kiyan.The last 20 mins was awesome,I mouth-watering,attacks after attacks.

About this screwed up game,freaking hilarious,even more hilarious,reading it for the 4th time(old article).I would seriously pay big bucks to see clips from this game :D

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Osman said:
About this screwed up game,freaking hilarious,even more hilarious,reading it for the 4th time(old article).I would seriously pay big bucks to see clips from this game :D
I think I posted this article some time ago when i read it for the first time, but in the Barca forum. Then I happened to go through it again. And could not stop from posting it again .. :) ..

As for the Inter Kiev game just wish those games happen more often. A treat for the neutrals, and increased heart beats for the two team's supporters.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
This actually reminded me of one incident.. It was a competition here in South-East Asia.. Our country topped the group, while the hosts finished second.. Then at the other group, 2 teams did not want to be the group winner, so when they meet each other in the final group match, just like what is being described, the players defended the opponents goal.. Not sure if its appropriate to list out the names of the 2 teams. But still in the end, the 2 teams got eliminated by the respective teams they met in the next round. I guess South-East Asia fans here would know which competition I'm talking about.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There is another incident which is not directly related to the thread. There was a guy called Papachan who played in a local league out here. He had to take a penalty that was awarded to his team. His shot was so weird that it went for a throw in :D. God knows how he ever managed it. He is stil known as Penalty Papachan to this day :).

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
mrigank said:
There is another incident which is not directly related to the thread. There was a guy called Papachan who played in a local league out here. He had to take a penalty that was awarded to his team. His shot was so weird that it went for a throw in :D. God knows how he ever managed it. He is stil known as Penalty Papachan to this day :).

He tried to curl the ball too hard?? or is the wind too strong?? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
402 Posts
mrigank said:
There was a similar incident in Israel some 20 years ago, a guy came to take a penalty and a player from the other team threw a little stone on the ball just before the player took the shot, so the ball moved a bit and the shot went to the touch line.
The ref didn't spot it at that moment, but it was captured by the cameras and the "stone thrower" was suspended for a long period, since then he's known as "the stone".

Maybe that's what happened to Papachan but no one noticed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts