Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I often think it when I am asked to expain wy the Arsenal lost like it was my f*cking fault, I don't play for them.

this sketch from Mitchell and Webb makes the point.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=OOfJjHozCEc

I don't take credit for a great musician that I like so why football, I didn't say we wrote a great television series when Dennis Potter finished singing detective, I said Potter wrote a great one?

anyway this is just a thread where we can talk about the insanity and complete non-logic of being a football fan, even some people resort to violence about it.

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
There's nothing logical about being a football fan but that's part of the beauty of it. I can uderstand that this pops to one's mind when one's team yet again fails miserably to deliver but there is always another season. :hopeful:

·
63,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There's nothing logical about being a football fan but that's part of the beauty of it. I can uderstand that this pops to one's mind when one's team yet again fails miserably to deliver but there is always another season. :hopeful:
yeah well it would pop in my mind when a room full of Spurs fans blamed me for allowing Crouch a free run to goal. :pp

anyway, no need to explain it to a Portuguese fan, you must be always having the finger pointed.

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
yeah well it would pop in my mind when a room full of Spurs fans blamed me for allowing Crouch a free run to goal. :pp

anyway, no need to explain it to a Portuguese fan, you must be always having the finger pointed.
It's interesting how you always bring someone's nationality into your attempt to argue. I guess it's says a lot about you.

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
31,893 Posts
Thanks, now I can see why a Manager blame another Manager on the pitch for the players' Harsh Tackles.

Which also explains why the Bench was at fault on Dida's back injury.

·
63,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what else have I got? post a pic of yourself and I'll take the piss out of your appearance instead. :pp

·
XT's Demi-God
8,662 Posts
43 years.

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
what else have I got? post a pic of yourself and I'll take the piss out of your appearance instead. :pp
Well, having in mind that we were talking about supporting football clubs you could have taken the piss out of my club as we are not exactly doing much better than yours. :moan:

·
63,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't know anything about them though, apart from you seem to give all your best players to United, why not us for a change?

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
great sketch! :howler:

i'd say the attachment to a football-club is much different (and completley irrational) than it is to your favourite band/musician.
and sometimes a loss of your team effects you on a personal level and in every day life, whereas a bad record of a band doesn't.

you get updates of your team (injuries, rumours...)every day in papers and the intenet, watch them once or twice a week.
bands release albums every other year and if they don't tour, give interviews, you don't know what they're doing most of the time.
your fav band can't get relegated and for sure i'd never get up in the middle of the night, let's say to watch pearl jam win a grammy award, for which they are nominated.
neither would i celebrate completley drunk in the street afterwards with a bunch of friends and sing my fav tunes.
you don't freak out when your fav musician plays your fav song at a concert like you do when you're in the stadium and someone scores an important goal.
the adrenalin level and perception of these two things are not comparable with eachother.
and they satisfy your needs on a whole different plaine aswell.
you can't dance (ok, you can, but it would be a bizarre one) when you put on an old tape of a game you enjoyed, let's say between 85th and 93rd minute or headbang to the commentary of "thomas charging through the midfield, it's up for grabs now..." :D

i don't feel the need to call up a mate and discuss 10 minutes on the phone why the guitarrist played this and that note on track 5 or why he used a wah-wah and not a flanger, a gibson les paul through a fender amp and not a strat through a marshall.
it just doesn't make any point.
neither is there a competition between bands.

i spend almost as much time, if not more, talking about music than football, and for example last night i had a talk with a friend about bob dylan, neil young and springsteen... we didn't really agree on all levels but it's not that we'd get into a heated argument over it either.

i've had discussion with the same person about football and we'd yell at eachother like maniacs within minutes.
he supports juventus by the way...

of course he personally didn't dope players, gave strange penalties, steal scudetti etc. , it was him who celebrated the club's success in the past, which makes him "one of them".

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
Weird thing football supporting. But I think its human nature. To allign yourself with a tribe/religion and now a team.

Almost like hunting isnt it, all togethre to get oen over another pack to win the prize.

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
the weird thing about supporting a club

They don't exactly support you back, you are a faceless non entity to them

You cannot think logically, rationally or take an unbiased view no matter how hard you try.

·
63,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
great sketch! :howler:

i'd say the attachment to a football-club is much different (and completley irrational) than it is to your favourite band/musician.
and sometimes a loss of your team effects you on a personal level and in every day life, whereas a bad record of a band doesn't.

you get updates of your team (injuries, rumours...)every day in papers and the intenet, watch them once or twice a week.
bands release albums every other year and if they don't tour, give interviews, you don't know what they're doing most of the time.
your fav band can't get relegated and for sure i'd never get up in the middle of the night, let's say to watch pearl jam win a grammy award, for which they are nominated.
neither would i celebrate completley drunk in the street afterwards with a bunch of friends and sing my fav tunes.
you don't freak out when your fav musician plays your fav song at a concert like you do when you're in the stadium and someone scores an important goal.
the adrenalin level and perception of these two things are not comparable with eachother.
and they satisfy your needs on a whole different plaine aswell.
you can't dance (ok, you can, but it would be a bizarre one) when you put on an old tape of a game you enjoyed, let's say between 85th and 93rd minute or headbang to the commentary of "thomas charging through the midfield, it's up for grabs now..." :D

i don't feel the need to call up a mate and discuss 10 minutes on the phone why the guitarrist played this and that note on track 5 or why he used a wah-wah and not a flanger, a gibson les paul through a fender amp and not a strat through a marshall.
it just doesn't make any point.
neither is there a competition between bands.

i spend almost as much time, if not more, talking about music than football, and for example last night i had a talk with a friend about bob dylan, neil young and springsteen... we didn't really agree on all levels but it's not that we'd get into a heated argument over it either.

i've had discussion with the same person about football and we'd yell at eachother like maniacs within minutes.
he supports juventus by the way...

of course he personally didn't dope players, gave strange penalties, steal scudetti etc. , it was him who celebrated the club's success in the past, which makes him "one of them".
some good pints but.........

you never gone to HMV at midnight just to pick up a new release, you never cried for a week when you heard Oasis astonoshingly bad 3rd album? :D

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
some good pints but.........

you never gone to HMV at midnight just to pick up a new release, you never cried for a week when you heard Oasis astonoshingly bad 3rd album? :D
"be here now"? :howler:
remember a friend of mine bought it back then and we listened to it and were shocked by the "quality" of this release.
didn't make me cry though.

recordshops, or shops in general, don't have such generous opening hours in austria like in england for example.
think the only record i ever bought on the day of it's release, the one i was desperatly awaiting for months in advance, was pearl jam's "yield".

however, interesting analogy about the tribe from la_fadabeilo.
also liver bird's point of "they don't support you back" fits pretty well.

another weird thing is that your football team can put you in misery for a dozen years non-stop.
you'd never listen to a bad record over and over again and desperatly hope it turns good "next season".

·
1st Tier Poster
49,961 Posts
Harry Enfield: Better get on with the grub, the football's on any minute.

Harry Enfield's gay son's boyfriend: I'm afraid I don't really follow football.

Harry Enfield: What's the matter you're a poof or something?

·
Registered
7,157 Posts
It's the bad times when you think of that strange bondage between you and your favourite team. During the last weeks I always wondered why the hell I keep thinking about what to change in my team when I can't do anything at all. And the official FCN forum writes a letter to the team which gets also published in newspapers, gets read out on TV and in the radio and you wonder if that changes anything and more important, if the players really care about it. But you support these actions.

There are definitely some good points in the previous posts and me being also a music maniac, il_principe's post fits very well on me. Surely music can take you on another level, too, but it's only the music.

and btw, Oasis' 3rd album is not as bad as some people make it out to be. ;) My break up with the band began after Standing on the Shoulder of Giants and with their awful concert in Frankfurt. Anyway, I will never ever break up with the 1.FCN.

Besides that, what is better? Listening to the great albums of one of your favourite bands or to watch a fantastic game from the past? I can't decide...

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
Besides that, what is better? Listening to the great albums of one of your favourite bands or to watch a fantastic game from the past? I can't decide...
i'd definitly go for the great record.
you always discover new nuances or associate emotions with music, you maybe didn't have when you heard it first.
or you meet someone special and listen to a song with her, so whenever you listen to that song from now on you connect it to her and that moment you shared.
the downside of it, is that it can be a very bad thing a couple of months/years down the line when things don't work out anymore...

hands down i'd rather play guitar like hendrix did than football like maradona.
but at the same time i'd prefer to see my club win the champions league, league, cup, whatever... than go and see a concert of my fav band.

·
0-1, Huth.
6,070 Posts
I was thinking that yesterday at Bramall Lane. 10 men and 3-0 down after 15 minutes and the rain was pouring down on us - And I wondered what the fúck I'm doing with my life.

As Lafa said, it's human nature to align yourself with a certain group/tribe or whatever.

And also most players don't give a fúck about supporters - There is no logic behind supporting a football club to this extend.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts