Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
3,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you could, would you change any of the rules of football today? Not just the biggest rules, i.e. 90 minute game, 11 players, just any rules of modern football?

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
I'd change the offside rule so it actually makes some sense, and I'd make a rule whereby Mike Riley is banned from coming within the vicinity of Highbury or the Arsenal Football Club and any match it's involved in.

Useless git.

·
Registered
12,959 Posts
I think i would change the passive offside rule. If a player doesn't interfere with the ball and the game it's just unneccessary and leads to game breaks often imo.

·
Freedom for all
16,851 Posts
Am I the only person who not only understands the new offside rule perfectly, but understands why it's an improvement on the old version, particularly for attacking teams?

I would get rid of REALLY stupid things like booking guys for taking off their shirts and forcing players to leave the pitch for every single little knock, and also start enforcing the instant booking for cheats.

·
Registered
4,453 Posts
ViscaBarcaInter said:
Am I the only person who not only understands the new offside rule perfectly, but understands why it's an improvement on the old version, particularly for attacking teams?
I understand it but I also understand how hard it is for the assistant ref and as a defender, how easy it is for Strikers to cheat!

·
Banned
4,388 Posts
I would re-instate:
-Shoulder tackles: in the early 20th century these were used commonly and by the book are still allowed: imo football still is a contact game, but nowadays its more like b-ball, meaning that contact is always a foul

I would get the following in:
-A clock like in b-ball:no fuss with overtime, supposedly objective refs, just stop the clock when the play is interrupted

-The difference between indirect and direct free kicks

I would ban:
-Those synthetic and light balls made by n*ke and *d*das: they allow goons like beckham to take a decent kick

·
Registered
11,208 Posts
- I would want players to get cautioned if they ask the ref to give an opposing player a card. They can complain verbally but gesturing as if the ref should give a card is not on. That is the ref's job and not the players' job.

- Give straight reds to players if they take off the shirt even after the rule states that. Either don't have that rule implemented at all but if it is implemented and some players thinks that it is ok to take off the shirt knowing that he will get a yellow for it then make it merrier for him by giving him the marching orders. There should be an option for additional bans knowing that a winner could arrive in the 92nd min of the game. I don't have a problem with players taking off shirts for goal celebrations but I have a problem with players not giving a damn about the rule and gladly accepting a yellow just so that they can do what they want to. Either scrap the rule or implement it properly.

- I am against players elbowing on purpose especially while heading. I've seen players get off lightly with this. It is not in the right spirit of the game.

·
Banned
3,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Haroon said:
- Give straight reds to players if they take off the shirt even after the rule states that. Either don't have that rule implemented at all but if it is implemented and some players thinks that it is ok to take off the shirt knowing that he will get a yellow for it then make it merrier for him by giving him the marching orders. There should be an option for additional bans knowing that a winner could arrive in the 92nd min of the game. I don't have a problem with players taking off shirts for goal celebrations but I have a problem with players not giving a damn about the rule and gladly accepting a yellow just so that they can do what they want to. Either scrap the rule or implement it properly.
I never thought about it like this, that is just why I wanted to open this thread, to see what others would think about such a subject.

It's a really unique and brave idea, but one I think I agree with. If you know you're going to do it and get a yellow, it is in a way dissent with the referee as well, which makes it two yellows on one play, and thus a red card.

Personally, I think the rule should be scrapped, but like you said, if it's going to be implemented, then it should well be implemented harshly.

But under that same thought, shouldn't a player who kicks the ball away be sent off as well? Because they often know they're going to get the yellow, but they do it anyways. What's your verdict on this?

One thing that constantly confuses me is when a play goes past the goalkeeper and is brought down, but there is a defender past the goalkeeper, it's only a yellow card, yet when a player goes past the last defender and is brought down, and the goalkeeper is the only one left, then it'd a red card. This makes no sense, as the odds are much higher of the player scoring after going past the goalkeeper with the defender on the line than vice versa, so there's no reason for it to be only yellow. In my mind, it should be a red card either way.

By the way, automatic sending off for any player to show their studs and not get the ball. Too many players have been hurt too badly from studs up challenges, so to make harder rules would leave players thinking twice before making nasty challenges.

Oh, and don't let Mike Riley referee anymore. Or Sepp Blatter be president. He's done one good thing - getting a World Cup to Africa. Outside of that, he's done nothing good for the game.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Hmm.. regarding the interferring with play in the offside rule, its very difficult to judge.. For example when a player is in an offside position, the defender saw it and make sure he stayed offside. Someone kicks a ball in that player's direction, realized that he is offside, and run towards the ball and retrieve the ball himself. I dont understand how that offside player is not in an offside position.. Just like Rivaldo did some years ago.. Goal was given..

If able to change, I would change it that as long as a player is offside, whether he is interferring with play or not, its still offside.. Or else, such incidents would be based more on opinions which will never have a correct answer.

·
Registered
11,208 Posts
Isaac said:
It's a really unique and brave idea, but one I think I agree with. If you know you're going to do it and get a yellow, it is in a way dissent with the referee as well, which makes it two yellows on one play, and thus a red card.

Personally, I think the rule should be scrapped, but like you said, if it's going to be implemented, then it should well be implemented harshly.

But under that same thought, shouldn't a player who kicks the ball away be sent off as well? Because they often know they're going to get the yellow, but they do it anyways. What's your verdict on this?
Same $hit, different day. :tongue: Send him off.

One thing that constantly confuses me is when a play goes past the goalkeeper and is brought down, but there is a defender past the goalkeeper, it's only a yellow card, yet when a player goes past the last defender and is brought down, and the goalkeeper is the only one left, then it'd a red card. This makes no sense, as the odds are much higher of the player scoring after going past the goalkeeper with the defender on the line than vice versa, so there's no reason for it to be only yellow. In my mind, it should be a red card either way.
I posted something on those lines some time ago. I am against giving a red straight away in this type of scenario. It is pretty much case dependent. Since this is a football play scenario I would give the benefit of doubt to players instead of handing out reds (because it is in the rules so to speak). Hence, the ref has to decide on the spot looking at the angle to goal, intent of both players and similar circumstances etc.

Oh, and don't let Mike Riley referee anymore. Or Sepp Blatter be president. He's done one good thing - getting a World Cup to Africa. Outside of that, he's done nothing good for the game.
Blatter hasn't done anything good IMO. First Asia and now Africa gets it. I think his job is done now. I just hope that Brasil makes a serious bid for 2014. I long to see a World Cup in Brasil. It will be out of this world. :star:

·
1st Tier Poster
50,447 Posts
Haroon said:
Fact is that a footballer who has just scored a goal is not exactly the most rationally thinking human being . They know that taking off the shirt results in a yellow card, but they simply don't care about it at that moment of ecstacy. Personally I think it's a horrible and pointless rule in the first place and it seems to be invented only to taunt the players. And your suggestion to make it a red card offence is completely ridiculous. There is no reason whatsoever why such an idiotic rule should be "implemented properly".

·
Registered
11,208 Posts
Andy Christ said:
Fact is that a footballer who has just scored a goal is not exactly the most rationally thinking human being . They know that taking off the shirt results in a yellow card, but they simply don't care about it at that moment of ecstacy. Personally I think it's a horrible and pointless rule in the first place and it seems to be invented only to taunt the players. And your suggestion to make it a red card offence is completely ridiculous. There is no reason whatsoever why such an idiotic rule should be "implemented properly".
I am not "for" or "against" the rule. I am against disrespecting the rules.

Those same players become very rational human beings when they play in the UEFA competitions [Only Ronaldinho took off his shirt to my recollection]. I bet they get rational injections prior the games. It happens much less in UEFA competitions. I would like to see whether a player has the balls to do something in a moment of ecstacy if he knows that a yellow card for taking his shirt off will result in him missing the final of a European Cup game.

It should be made a red card offence as long as the rule is there.

·
Registered
16,663 Posts
I'd change it so you we're allowed as many players as you want on your bench, or atleast in England change it to 7 oppose to 5

·
Registered
12,237 Posts
Haroon said:
Don't hate, appriciate...

·
Registered
11,208 Posts
Cacìni said:
Don't hate, appriciate...
I don't hate the celebrations. I find it amusing to have a yellow card offence for it and yet players will still do it knowing that a yellow card is not damaging in the league when compared to one in a UEFA competition.

A solution is to either scrap the rule entirely or put in a red so that order is maintained. These things rarely happen in UEFA competitions because the players themselves know that it will cost the team heavily if they get carded as games are more important there with respect to finance and progress.

·
Freedom for all
16,851 Posts
Then maybe you should ONLY be talking about removing the stupid rule?

Asking a player to be booked TWICE for one infraction is nonsensical. Taking a shirt off is a booking, thus taking it off means getting a booking. Why on God's earth would you want them to be booked twice Haroon? You could say the same for any foul. They KNOW it's wrong to foul, yet they did it anyway. The whole problem is that FIFA and the rest of the "authorities" are taking away from the freedom of playing sport by inserting pointless, fussy rules that do nothing but annoy people. Adding MORE of those rules won't help.

"Hmm.. regarding the interferring with play in the offside rule, its very difficult to judge.. For example when a player is in an offside position, the defender saw it and make sure he stayed offside. Someone kicks a ball in that player's direction, realized that he is offside, and run towards the ball and retrieve the ball himself. I dont understand how that offside player is not in an offside position.. Just like Rivaldo did some years ago.. Goal was given.. "

The guy who is offside isn't actively offside because he isn't actively involved in the play, thus it's a goal. Quite simple really. It's designed to maintain the offside idea, but give more benefit of the doubt to the attacking team, which is the whole point. There's no point in "offside" if there are silly events that prevent goals, such as this example. The offside trap is still a valid tactic, since you still can't be offside and score. But it was annoying if there is a shot or cross which is cleared, then the defence push out where one attacker is left offside, but another attacker receives a legal throughball and scores and is called offside. That's just stupid.

As was mentioned earlier, it can be difficult for the refs to deal with. But with someone like Van Nistelrooy doing his odd "going offside on free-kicks" action, it's purely defenders being lazy and lacking concentration that causes problems, because RVN will still be called offside if he actually puts the ball in the goal.

·
Registered
12,959 Posts
ViscaBarcaInter said:
The guy who is offside isn't actively offside because he isn't actively involved in the play, thus it's a goal. Quite simple really. It's designed to maintain the offside idea, but give more benefit of the doubt to the attacking team, which is the whole point. There's no point in "offside" if there are silly events that prevent goals, such as this example. The offside trap is still a valid tactic, since you still can't be offside and score. But it was annoying if there is a shot or cross which is cleared, then the defence push out where one attacker is left offside, but another attacker receives a legal throughball and scores and is called offside. That's just stupid.

As was mentioned earlier, it can be difficult for the refs to deal with. But with someone like Van Nistelrooy doing his odd "going offside on free-kicks" action, it's purely defenders being lazy and lacking concentration that causes problems, because RVN will still be called offside if he actually puts the ball in the goal.
Thanks Visca, couldn't have explained it better myself. :thmbup:

·
Registered
11,208 Posts
ViscaBarcaInter said:
Then maybe you should ONLY be talking about removing the stupid rule?

Asking a player to be booked TWICE for one infraction is nonsensical. Taking a shirt off is a booking, thus taking it off means getting a booking. Why on God's earth would you want them to be booked twice Haroon? You could say the same for any foul. They KNOW it's wrong to foul, yet they did it anyway. The whole problem is that FIFA and the rest of the "authorities" are taking away from the freedom of playing sport by inserting pointless, fussy rules that do nothing but annoy people. Adding MORE of those rules won't help.
I don't like this rule to start off with. I am against this stipulation.

But .... when there is a rule that players will be carded for taking off their shirt then I think it should be respected. There are numerous times when players celebrate goals and they do it beautifully without taking off their jerseys. Totti's celebration vs. Valencia in the Mestalla is one of my favourite celebrations. It is filled with finesse.

Shevchenko's goal celebration vs. Barcelona is a different type and yet beautiful.

Inzaghi's celebration against Dortmund was pumped up and yet superb viewing.

Now when players take off their jerseys in a league game they know they will be carded but let's face it:

-> The following league game might well be against weaker opposition due to the fact that players will take off their jerseys when the goal they score is a crucial one against reasonable opposition! In the league that would most probably mean a weaker opposition coming up the following week in case a suspension is arriving or more cards to accumulate before the suspension kicks in.

-> In Europe it is a different ball game. One game can be Werder Bremen but the next one will be Valencia. Not exactly child's play. It can also lead to additional suspensions. Players are much more careful and disciplined in this regard because they themselves know how it will hurt their side's chances.

I am not going for two yellows. Straight red should be the order of the day or scrap the stupid rule out. UEFA/FIFA isn't exactly doing a good job if players continue to push it aside as a mere formality (receiving the yellow). As I said I would like to see how many players really have the balls to take off their jerseys if a straight red was given for this offence.

It's just like going to your job. Company A deducts money if you are late by 3 mins and closes the doors after 15. Company B gives leverage time of 15 mins to get in. The approach of the employees with respect to arriving on time will be different with regards to both companies.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts