Xtratime Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
37,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well,

While cruising thorough Xtratime, it is clear taht we Brazilians are the ones that take the Footie Olympic tournament the most serioulsly. It is a sort of mini-world for us. What about your country... do they take the Ollym;ic games seriously as we Brazilians do?? After all , it is the only tournament that we have never won.... and by winning it we will be the first country to unify all the titles!;)

Also, is their any otehr obsessions about your local club goes to

Ex: Corinthians has the Libertadores as an obsession
Real Madrid had the CL as an obsession till 98.
 

·
Freedom for all
Joined
·
16,851 Posts
I don't consider the Olympic football tournament a serious football tournament, in a World Cup sense. I look at it more like the Confederations Cup level, although FIFA take that one more seriously than the Olympics. But if nothing else, the Olympic football tournament makes the Olympics themselves worth watching! Maybe it's because it's never been a major event in Europe and that Scotland don't take part because of some bullshit about chumps complaining about British countries having seperate teams (as if certain countries aren't allowed a national team or something?)

It's fair to say Barca are obsessed with beating Real Madrid at everything! And maybe with winning the European Cup again, but that's second to beating "them".

Inter obviously are obsessed with winning the league, as it's not happened in ever.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
37,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unifying titles cause we are the current:

u 17 world champions
u 21 world champions
professional world champions
beach soccer world champions
futsal world champions

If we win the olympics and Copa America will unify all the titles you can unify;) :cool: And we only need to win the Olympics to have won every single title their is to win, and be the first nation to do that:cool: ;)

our football is truly:star: :star: :star: :star: :star:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,415 Posts
I don't think Brazil have to win the Olympics to be considered the most eminent footballing nation, but another chance for hyperbole and gloating never hurts.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
37,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I mean.. the topic is to know whether your country has an obsession with the Olympics like Brazil has. Here we take almost as serious as the world cup... very important for us!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,042 Posts
Ze da Fiel said:


If we win the olympics and Copa America will unify all the titles you can unify;) :cool: And we only need to win the Olympics to have won every single title their is to win, and be the first nation to do that:cool: ;)

our football is truly:star: :star: :star: :star: :star:
I'm pretty sure it has been done before.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
37,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
no it has not... who did it??

The only country that can claim it is Uruguay... but they have never won the U-20's or U-17.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,907 Posts
Maybe you could find someone, but I and people in general in my country don't think higly of the Olympic football tournament. Maybe because none of the games are broadcasted or because we never took (and probably never will) part in it, but the main reason IMO is because Euro (and we are from Europe) is on in that period (not at the same time, but summer nonetheless) so we give all our football focus to that :)

It would probably be seen a bigger event if not only youngsters would take part in it. But if it was different, then the WC would loose it's charm which wouldn't be good as well :)

P.S. Juventus, in the few past years, has been obsessed with beating Lazio as they have this way of always winning against us :groan: :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45,465 Posts
Italy have never won a Under-something world cup but I guess it's because we have never cared so much about those competitions.
In Italy the most important competition is of course the WC (in fact... 3 wins) and for a long time the Euro (1 win) was by far less important, just now is considered quite as important. We have most of times snobbed the Olympics (just 1 success) and the proof of it is that we have never used the 3 over-23 players in the last editions. Maybe things will change this year... maybe.
The under 21 euro is the only youth tournament we really consider, in fact we won it many times.
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
17,146 Posts
Hey Ze,
How about the meninas World Cup?:tongue:
Brasil hasn't won that yet neither...:tongue:

Cheers.;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,571 Posts
Ze da Fiel said:

After all , it is the only tournament that we have never won.... and by winning it we will be the first country to unify all the titles!;)


Greedy Basteds :tongue:
 

·
World Class Player
Joined
·
7,673 Posts
Ze da Fiel said:
u 17 world champions
u 21 world champions
professional world champions
beach soccer world champions
futsal world champions
Still yet to win the FIFA Confederations Cup. :tongue:
Ze da Fiel said:
do they take the Ollym;ic games seriously as we Brazilians do??
No. We have never entered a proper team, and the proposed move to enter a team has been dismissed as a gimmick. Is it a gimmick to unite under the national flag? Represent ones country? Play in front of tens of millions of people in the world's largest sporting spectacle? I really don't get it.
barça said:
Yeah, but if the girls would dress sexier :rolleyes: :tongue:
And were the 90 minutes divided into quarters... ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,042 Posts
ToniSamp said:
Italy have never won a Under-something world cup but I guess it's because we have never cared so much about those competitions.
In Italy the most important competition is of course the WC (in fact... 3 wins) and for a long time the Euro (1 win) was by far less important, just now is considered quite as important. We have most of times snobbed the Olympics (just 1 success) and the proof of it is that we have never used the 3 over-23 players in the last editions. Maybe things will change this year... maybe.
The under 21 euro is the only youth tournament we really consider, in fact we won it many times.
Some of them are just wastes of time

We won the u 19 euro title 2003 yet we weren't allowed into the u 20 youth WC.. .:rollani: :rollani::yuck: :yuck:
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top