Xtratime Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15,427 Posts
Superclasico Libertadores 2018

The circumstances before the two legs seems apt for the occasion. The flooding of the pitch, deliberating and postponement of the first leg until the next day. Then the violence before the second leg and decision to host it at the Bernabeu. The football didn't disappoint either, both legs were entertaining and the second was dramatic. I would put this as the iconic club match of the decade, and the 7-1 the iconic international match.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Iconic as in will be remembered decades to come must indeed be the 7-1 world cup game. The best match of the decade is another beast and I think that would be a little bit richer.

·
Ilie Balaci ❤
10,211 Posts
Inter's CL run in spring 2010.
Can’t believe it’s been nearly a decade, and I believe Chivu is still the last Romanian to lift the CL trophy.. :’(

Germany 7-1 Brazil was like a training match, not a WC semi final lol. But iconic and memorable indeed..

Milan 2-0 Barca in CL was memorable for me personally, KP Boateng man.. Italy Germany Euro 2012 semis with Balo scoring two goals and doing his ridiculous shirt off celebration after having been quoted saying “does a postman celebrate when he delivers the mail?”

Also a couple other personal memorable ones are Romania 3-0 Hungary with Pintilii’s ridiculous top bin spanker, Romania U21s 4-2 England U21s this summer and the first half vs Germany in the semis then Steaua 1-0 Chelsea in EL R16, the comeback to eliminate Ajax in R32 with some beautiful goals, CFR Cluj beating Man Utd 1-0 at Old Trafford, etc.

Several of Messi’s ridiculous goals and skills in La Liga & CL matches; i.e. vs mazy run between four players & scoring vs Athletic Bilbao, breaking Boateng ankles with a quick cut down the the box, chipping Neuer, nutmegging Milner delightfully, etc.

Maybe Ajax beating Juve and Real? Pretty good stuff there.

Watford insane comeback in stoppage time after saving a penalty vs Leicester City in the championship playoff

Barca 6-1 PSG for an insane CL second leg comeback.

The Agueeeeroooo moment when City won the PL title in stoppage time vs QPR.

·
Super Moderator
13,618 Posts
My favorite in terms of quality I think Barça 3 - United 1. Two incredible squads, great managers, Messi - Ronaldo, Barça in beast mode.

Other good ones:

- 7-1 is the most memorable

- Gerrard’s “slip” match pretty memorable too.

-Spain 4 - Italy 0

- Holland 4 - Spain 1

- Uruguay - England and Uruguay - Italy

- Madrid 4 - Atletico 1

- Brazil 4 - Chile 1

My favorite:

Peru 3 - Chile 0
Copa America 2019
Semi Final

·
Registered
12,967 Posts
2011 Gold Cup Final Mexico 4 - 2 United States. USA up 2-0 early with Mexico scoring 4 straight goals with the final goal being one of the goals of the year by Giovani Dos Santos.

·
Third Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
10,872 Posts
Many memorable matches, but certain ones where I'll remember for quite a while, and off course it's biased with Barca moments

Barca 5-0 Madrid (2010) - Mou came into Real huffing and puffing as the Barca killer, I must admit I was nervous for this one. A masterclass followed and I can still replay the goals in my head without ever having to look it up on Youtube.

Barca 6-1 PSG - At 3-1 the game was done a miracle was needed, it was way past midnight and usually I would have gone to bed. When Neymar scored that free kick, I really had that feeling of "oh yeah we are gonna win this, PSG just shit their pants". Irrational confidence I guess, but they did.

The 2 CL final wins against United and Juventus off course.

From a neutral perspective

The 7-1, it was like a football black hole where Brazil just forgot how to play football, the most surreal football moment of all time in my lifetime.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts