Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I'd ask about your views on this club. I find this club interesting, not only because it carries the name of the great Milos Obilic but because it was the only club that was able to challange the RS and PFC duopoly. That team of theirs which won the league had a vicious counter attack with guys like Rankovic, Grozdic and Sarac and an excellent defense. Since then Obilic was always a strong 1st league team. This year however, it has fallen on hard times both financially and in terms of league standing and with Ceca running the show, Obilic looks like going down the tubes or being relegated.

So what do you guys think? Will Obilic manage to stay in the first league? Should their place be taken by other non-Belgrade clubs for the sake of our football, like Radnicki Nis/Kragujevac? Will our league see another club in the near future that could challange the supremacy of PFC and RS?

Anyway, Obilic had a good start to the 2nd half of the season yesterday. They beat Vojvodina 1:0. The goal was scored by Bojan Brnovic from a cross by Marinkovic. Both of these players are on loan from Partizan and in fact Obilic looks like a Partizan B team with six players in total loaned to them.

·
Registered
8,508 Posts
To tell you the truth I really don't have any sort of special opinion on them. They're just another first division team that happens to be run by criminals. Not the first nor last..But if you asked me whether I'd like to have them in the first division, my answer is I sure hope so. At the very least they've got a proper stadium that you can play in..Unlike some of the clubs outside of Belgrade..

·
Registered
15,157 Posts
Well Sartid also challenged the "duopoly" albeit by winning the cup, not the championship...

Obilic? Well sometimes I still wonder how "clean" their trophy was. I mean, with Arkan in charge and everything...I don't like this club at all. Sure, they have a nice new stadium in Vracar (but built with whose bloodmoney I wonder), a pre-WW2 history (although nothing of notice) and a cool name but on the other hand, almost no fans (I think there are about 50, 200 tops, not counting people working at the club and their friends) - they are just another fanless crooked Belgrade club (like Zeleznik) at the moment. So, I wish them a nice drop all the way to BG zona. Then they can rent out their stadium for whichever club needs to for euro games.

Will our league see another club in the near future that could challange the supremacy of PFC and RS?
Well, as I said Sartid was close but ran out of steam (much like Obilic), Zeleznik got half way there and withered away, and we'll see how Zeta can do. It would be really great if Vojvodina could go back to beeing what they were in the early and mid 90s but they are in total disarray as well. Teams like Radnicki KG or NI seem even more hopeless, and generally if you look at any sport, clubs outside of BG, Montenegro and Vojvodina are nowhere near the top, sadly.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good points. It will be interesting to see if Zeta can do something this year and the next. Also they will be playing in Europe and it will be good to see them do well.

Re the stadium, I'd hate to know how they got the money for it as well.

Obilic will be interesting to follow for the Marinkovic story as well. He is the next young talent in line being groomed to join Partizan's 1st team. Bjeka thinks that he is even more skilled than Vukcevic.

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
JV_ said:
Bjeka thinks that he is even more skilled than Vukcevic.
I haven't seen him play, but even mentioning his name in the same sentence as Vukcevic is extremely high praise.

I rate Vukcevic very highly, he is simply an impressive young player. Some players are high on skill, but lack strength and others vice versa. However Vukcevic is a uncanny blend of skill and strength. Not to mention he has the right attitude as well, he oozes confidence and I have no doubt he will become a true leader once he matures. Our NT and Partizan definitely have a gem of rare quality that does not appear too often.

·
Registered
7,919 Posts
They have a nice name and logo. Don't really care about them. Rather them than Rad though :)

If they were a club with a healthy financial structure ( in Serbia :dielaugh: ) they could slowly develop a more normal fanbase as well like OFK. But most likely they'll slide further away each year.

·
Registered
40,652 Posts
Agree with the first part of Monte's post. But other than the name and stadium, I strongly dislike pretty much everything about the club.

I'm pretty sure their title wasn't clean since they didn't have enough quality to take the title. Out of that squad only Grozdic seemed to have the potential to become a decent player abroad, although he too failed, not entirely his fault though (I blame Koeman).

In short I hope they get relegated.

I'd love for some other team than the big 2 to emerge as a consistant challenger, but that's not realistic right now. The thing is, new generations need to start supporting their hometown teams instead of the eternal divide we have going on. Slowly that's starting to happen, but only with ultras, we need more regular fans to join in.

Anyway I expect Zeta to collapse in the second half of the season.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Drulo. Yep, the name and logo are cool. Everything else is a bit shady. But regarding whether the title was fixed or not, look I can't say that it was or wasn't, what would I know. And we can all have suspicions. But I was in Belgrade then and I watched these Obilic games against Partizan & RS. Obilic played so hard it was really difficult to beat them. Especially Partizan, we really couldn't find a way to beat them and there was no way you could say after the game that Partizan deserved to win or that they played easy. Same goes for RS.

One other thing I don't get. If there are rich Serbian businessmen out there who want to invest in a football club, why don't they invest in places like Nis or Kragujevac. There is a huge fan base there, you can sort out the stadiums and get 15,000 people to watch the games each week and make a competative team. Why do they go looking for little Belgrade clubs with 50 hooligans as their fan base?

·
Registered
40,652 Posts
If only they did JV, I'd be thrilled. I think if we want to get a competitive league, it'll have to come from teams outside of BG. Smederevo, Novi Sad, Nish, Kragujevac, Subotica, Zrenjanin, Podgorica all have potential. Some were even on their way up, but it takes consistancy and most of these teams sell pretty much every decent player after a solid season. They money most likely ends up in someone's pocket and we're back at 0.

When the privatization law passes, the clubs will become companies. The people who'll be investing money then will be doing so in order to make a profit and that's actually my only hope right now.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah I kind of have an opinion on this privatisation thing and I don't think its going to be a quick fix solution to our problems but anyway not here.

·
Registered
40,652 Posts
Well go on man, you're obviously more knowledgable on economic matters than I am, share what you know..I'm just trying to get a better picture of the entire situation.

·
Registered
7,919 Posts
Is Radnicki KG supported by all people from Sumadija? Or is it a largely KG oriented fan base? Anyone knows? What about Nis?

·
Registered
40,652 Posts
Well all they have left is their 'Djavoli', now that they're in the third division Monte. So I'd say they're probably some local kids.

As for Nish, well there are some very small fangroups in Leskovac, Aleksinac and other surrounding places, but you can't say there is real 'support' since they don't even average a 1000 people a week these days. I've been to many matches over the years when things were better, including against Obilic when Arkan was still there and I think the meraklije (Radncki's fans) are definately cool, but also unorganized.

Delije Nish are the biggest group outside of BG, there's also a big grobar core these days, both have more supporters than Radnicki itself which is why our stadiums are so empty.

BTW Radnicki is still the name in the region, kids still go or want to go there to train, so there definately is potential, but the question is, how to keep them?

·
Registered
7,919 Posts
But Sumadija is big, a club representing them would certainly have prospects. FK Sumadija sounds a lot cooler than Radnicki KG as well :cool:

Regarding Nis - what I expected yea ;(...

Nis is the 2nd largest city of the country (if NS hasnt passed them by over the years) it is unbelievable that there is NO solid fan base and no club representing them properly. How far does Nis' popularity stretch? You mentioned Leskovac (ok) and Aleksinac (too small) what about the rest of the south?

·
Registered
7,919 Posts
None :)

The club has prospect, because the stadium and training ground are of good quality, and the club is old + bears a nice historical name.

·
Registered
40,652 Posts
monte said:
But Sumadija is big, a club representing them would certainly have prospects. FK Sumadija sounds a lot cooler than Radnicki KG as well :cool:

Regarding Nis - what I expected yea ;(...

Nis is the 2nd largest city of the country (if NS hasnt passed them by over the years) it is unbelievable that there is NO solid fan base and no club representing them properly. How far does Nis' popularity stretch? You mentioned Leskovac (ok) and Aleksinac (too small) what about the rest of the south?
Well Monte, I have great news for you. :D The club FK Sumadija already exists, only it's from Arandjelovac. Maybe they could merge, since they're both crap anyway?

As for Nish, well add Prokuplje and that's about it, I could name some villages like Gadjin Han, Gornja i Donja Toponica but I doubt anyone except for the locals knows them. :D

·
Registered
7,919 Posts
Also in KG -> FK Sumadija - Save Kovacevica - 34 000 Kragujevac :D

Look how great their stadium looks when pictured like this:

And the club is from 1903 which sounds very cool.

There must be over a 100 FK Sumadija's including the diaspora btw :D I didnt know about Arandjelovac, shame on me :( Yes, all clubs from that region with a bit of potential should gather and MERGE into one club, I see no other option. This way you wont have these tiny fan bases either.

Geez we should invest in the south man to get rid of its village image :undecide: :tongue: Dont forget Vladicin Han, Borba does not appreciate that :nono: :D

1 - 20 of 40 Posts