Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
24,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is really scary when I think about it. the british commentators in the Roma-Arsenal game just said how the English teams physical superiority would have won the game, but Roma stood up.

I quickly though about the infamous Milan-Liverpool game with overtime. I would want to remind them about that one, were Liverpool didn't come out their own half for the full 30 mins of extratime. Can you remember? Now think about this current team. Seriously we can't put pressure on teams and we can't dominate the second half.

Back in our best years we dominated pretty much ever second half we played. We turned games then. Overtime was not a problem for us. How much has our fitness level not fallen?

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
I don't know whats going on with that one either. It's probably not so much stamina as explosiveness and pace. There is no one in the squad could be called fast past Pato/Kaka and plenty that is outright sloooooowww. A pressing game obviously doesn't work if it you need a long time to recover your position hence why we almost always just retreat to the edge of the penalty box whenever we lose possession.

Thanks for reminding of that final, Johan!

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
ps I'm going to have nightmares again about Dudek pulling a 1/1000 chance of a doublesave vs Sheva's header + follow-up

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
pps Shevchenko has been so cursed with phantom rulings, I'd like to see anyone overturn 4-0

·
Registered
43,410 Posts
fuk this fitness. Inter are out :happy: Juve are out :happy::happy:

No Milan, no Italia in UCL!!! :mad:

·
Registered
8,971 Posts
emerson, favalli, sheva.....etc...etc... that's the problem :moan:

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
emerson, favalli, sheva.....etc...etc... that's the problem :moan:

Can't be cuz those guys are fringe players and irrelevant scapegoats. Truth is they don't matter. It's a number of regular starters that have this problem.

·
Registered
13,397 Posts

·
Registered
17,549 Posts
Hey Milan you ****ing losers what are you doing out of the CL this year? I mean that affectionately! :party: You are on vacation instead of playing knock-out rounds. :stoned:

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
hey tell your mother stop sending me nude pictures on facebook, and I say that afectionately!

·
Registered
12,513 Posts
Hey Milan you ****ing losers what are you doing out of the CL this year? I mean that affectionately! :party: You are on vacation instead of playing knock-out rounds. :stoned:
The worst mistake FIGC did is not letting Milan play in the CL.

PS Good to see both Juve and Inert lose.

·
Premium Member
24,062 Posts

·
Registered
16,105 Posts
It is really scary when I think about it. the british commentators in the Roma-Arsenal game just said how the English teams physical superiority would have won the game, but Roma stood up.

I quickly though about the infamous Milan-Liverpool game with overtime. I would want to remind them about that one, were Liverpool didn't come out their own half for the full 30 mins of extratime. Can you remember? Now think about this current team. Seriously we can't put pressure on teams and we can't dominate the second half.

Back in our best years we dominated pretty much ever second half we played. We turned games then. Overtime was not a problem for us. How much has our fitness level not fallen?

The reason we dominated teams in such fashion a few years back was because we were the best team in Europe. On paper we had a better team but more importantly a team which had really gelled. Our passing moves, closing spaces, using width from the fullbacks, everything was much better than it is now.

Fitness does play some part for sure, because many of those same players are a few years older, have played at a high intensity (physically and mentally) for many years. A slow down isn't surprising. This is why we need to build a team again, re-inject that hunger and vigour with younger players like Silva, Flamini and (ideally) Gourcuff.

The EPL is generally more high tempo but their style of football and their fitness isn't the defining factors of their recent strength. It's more their players, coaches and the teams they've built, plus the demise of clubs like Milan.

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
I actually said that just to see Dae's reaction :D

I would actually agree that Seedorf is now actually showing himself to be slowing down. THe same can be said for Ambro and Pirlo (to some extent).

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
Hey, he's 32 or something and been playing senior level ball since he was 16. That's a lot of football and throw that during the last 4 years he has rarely rested...... I always thought Seedorf had plenty of pace but he used it selectively. He ran when he needed to, unlike Gattuso who is always running no matter what is going on. ;)

As for the overall topic; we clearly could never play Sacchi ball or even CApello ball with this team. Sacchi had every player pressuring from the forwards back to the defenders. CApello was similar although without the use of flair players. Ancelotti seems to play a control possession game which keeps the ball from the opposition but without putting pressure on the oppoenets goal it is often pointless possession that is ripe for the counter should a misplaced pass be made.

·
Registered
24,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I would actually agree that Seedorf is now actually showing himself to be slowing down. THe same can be said for Ambro and Pirlo (to some extent).
I don't see it in Pirlo, in fact I believe he may be more fit. The biggest missing piece is of course Gattuso, but otherwise I agree it is generally and that was kind of what I pointed at. Sheva also worked very hard for a forward.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts