Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
33,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rockit by Herbie Hancock, sometime in the early 80's. Scary stuff that was, with all those chopped up manequins dancing around.

·
Second Place winner, October 2012 XT Photo Contest
3,938 Posts
I am going to show my advanced age, but I think it was Video Killed The Radio Star by the Buggles. My neighbors got cable TV in 1982 and we'd go over there and watch nothing but MTV for hours. But back then they didn't have a lot of videos to play, so they would show long video travelogues of Hawaii with the theme to Hawaii 5-0 playing in the backround for long stretches of airtime. Most of the video's were really cheezy back then (in a different way than they are cheezy now), but we thought they were all (well, except maybe for Aldo Nova and his lizard skin pants and flying saucer) super cool. :D

The best video of all time is the Duran Duran live longform video, but only because I appear in a ten second shot in it. It was, up to now, my moment of rock n roll fame! ;)

RIO

·
Rated [D] for Danger
5,472 Posts
Alive&Kicking said:
I can't remember. :)

But one that sticks in my mind is Thriller by Michael Jackson, what a classic that is. :star:
same here.

·
Registered
15,546 Posts
Probably some s*** by Peter Gabriel or something - one of those clay-mation videos of his..........

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
I'm not totally sure, it's one of these three as far as I can remember.

Either:- I should be so lucky by Kylie Minogue
- Bad by Michael Jackson
- The Paul Mc Cartney song with all the animated frogs in it

·
Registered
33,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Arianna said:
i was 3 or 4 year.... Take on me - A-Ah i dunno why but i cant forget it:eek:
I actually did not see the video until a few years ago, but always thought that was a great song. :thumbsup:

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
I'm not sure. I suppose the Beatles' A Hard Day's Night doesn't qualify, because technically it wasn't a video...? So, I guess it was Michael Jackson's Thriller. :)

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I dont know if it was the actual first, but one that comes to mind is
Def Leppard's "Photograph". I remember I heard it was banned in Egland because they thought the flashing daggers would cause ceazers in some people. I thought the video was awesome.
Then again it could easily have been Micheal Jackson's "Beat it" or "Billie Jean".

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
i saw abwh's brothers of mine. cool video clip :cool:

·
Registered
6,804 Posts
I was too young to remember…However, I can tell you the 1st music video that left an everlasting impression on me…It was "Hunting high and low by A-HA"…Simply brilliant...

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Can't remeber what was the first music video that I saw.

But I still cannot forget the music video by Nine Inch Nails. I don't know the name of the song, but it was the shocking music video that I've ever seen. it was the video that one guy was just killed by evil machine? Last scene, he was just mixed into human meat. :yuck:

(Well, I've watched more shocking music videos after that, especially from death-black metal bands:rolleyes: )

·
Fine Gentlemen
15,599 Posts
I think it was REM's "Losing My Religion"

I love the bit where the Angel has a wound and somone is sticking his fingers in it...:D

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
My best, shaky guess: Devo's "Whip It" circa 1980 or there abouts.

·
Registered
22,487 Posts
Arianna said:
i was 3 or 4 year.... Take on me - A-Ah i dunno why but i cant forget it:eek:
Hehe, I also can´t forget this video, but the reason is their singer, who I like(d) so much from the moment I ´ve seen this. ;) :tongue:
Take on me was also one of the first videos I saw. It wasnt so usual to create real music videos at this time, I think this was so special because it was not one of these, where the bands only taped their gigs to have a clip for their songs.
Others I remember as my first were "Final countdown" by Europe and "Forever young" by Alphaville.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts