Xtratime Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who was the first Arab player in the national team, Ali Ottman or Rifaat Turk

and what was the public reaction from everyone including in Palestine.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Sorry to say that I can't remember which of them was first although they both played for the national team. Others who were on the national squad were Maccabi Haifa striker Zahi Armeli (Arab Druse) and Shafik Al Houzeill (Bedouin). At present there are Walid Badir and Abbas Suan who was just named. As far as the reaction-there is none. Basically it has nothing to do with anything but football. The national team manager picks the best players available and that is all. That is the way that it has always been. Those who think otherwise know very little about Israeli football.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could not find anything on Ali Ottman, I know Turk made his debut in 1976 and a coach had to change his name to Jimmy because of his Arab name.

Never heard of Shafik Al Houzeill?

·
Registered
773 Posts
Jimmy was just Turk's nickname. Everyone knows his name is Rifaat. BTW he is now a Tel Aviv city council member. Shafik Al Houzeill was named to the national team several years ago. He played for one of the Petach Tikvah teams (Hapoel?). He was involved in a car accident which ended his career so he may never have played for the national team.

·
Registered
773 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Gauchito said:
Arab Druse?!?!?!?!?!

Druse aren't Arabs
I know personally more than one Israeli Druse who say that they *are* Arabs and that the Druse are only a religious group. Others say they are not Arabs. So it depends on who you ask. I don't remember if Zahi Armeli considers himself an Arab or not. But if you look at the following link you will see (in yellow down the page) that former Knesset member Zeidan Atashi regards himself as a Druze Arab. Okay enough, back to football ;)

http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cache:ZGUDUSoddEoJ:[url]www.union.edu/N/DS/edition_display.php?e=635+"druze+arab+"&hl=en&ie=UTF-8[/url]

·
Registered
773 Posts

·
Ronny
1,698 Posts
It is not true that these decisions are drawn without any public response. There were many cries about the fact that Najwan Grayeb didn't know the words of the anthem. I cannot remember who, but there was one who supported the Hezbollah or something of that sort. It was always a controversy. I cannot remember the opinions on the Palestinian side, but i think that there were fidelity problems sometime in the Israeli National Team.

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
Gauchito said:
Arab Druse?!?!?!?!?!

Druse aren't Arabs
But aren't they muslims??

Whats the religion called Samaratarians???

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
I see...

intresting :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts