Xtratime Community banner

121 - 140 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
15,579 Posts
I don't understand the sacking. Did he not play the best players that we have? Did he not listen to the outside opinion and played Suso on the left? Did he not take out Hakan and Piatek for Leao and Paqueta at halftime in the match against Genoa?

The problem does not lie with Giampaolo. The problems lie with the players. How did Piatek who was scoring freely at Genoa failed to register any goal from open play for us this season? How did Hakan and Suso played so badly this season? The sacking of Giampaolo will only add more unhappiness amongst the squad.

If the sacking is true, then I dun understand how getting Pioli will solve the problem. The same players will still be there, their morale will not be boosted by the appointment of Pioli. In fact, their morale will be much lower seeing how the hashtag #Pioliout is gaining popularity.

In fact, I think Gattuso will be ideal as he will be a great coach to motivate the players and get them to play at their 100%. Not some Pioli who has zero Milan affinity, who doesn't resonate with Milan to take charge.
He did not play the best players. Those that sucked in game after game were still in the starting eleven.

He did not listen to anybody, playing Suso all the time was part of the problem.

Why did he play them and bench Paqueta and Leao in the first place? Part of the problem.

The problem was with both Giampaolo and the players. The players looked confused, scared and insecure, exactly the way Giampaolo seemed on the bench and press conferences.

And god, please no Gattuso. The dude is good at motivating players and only that. He is a bad coach.

·
Registered
24,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
I don't understand the sacking. Did he not play the best players that we have? Did he not listen to the outside opinion and played Suso on the left? Did he not take out Hakan and Piatek for Leao and Paqueta at halftime in the match against Genoa?

The problem does not lie with Giampaolo. The problems lie with the players. How did Piatek who was scoring freely at Genoa failed to register any goal from open play for us this season? How did Hakan and Suso played so badly this season? The sacking of Giampaolo will only add more unhappiness amongst the squad.

If the sacking is true, then I dun understand how getting Pioli will solve the problem. The same players will still be there, their morale will not be boosted by the appointment of Pioli. In fact, their morale will be much lower seeing how the hashtag #Pioliout is gaining popularity.

In fact, I think Gattuso will be ideal as he will be a great coach to motivate the players and get them to play at their 100%. Not some Pioli who has zero Milan affinity, who doesn't resonate with Milan to take charge.
I think this is a good analysis to your questions

https://app.football-italia.net/?referrer=www.football-italia.net#article/milantalk-1623&menu=news-recommended

And the issue of replacement is totally a different issue of why MG deserves to be sacked.

·
Registered
40,302 Posts
Well, wish him the best. He did an extremely poor job at Milan, but I would not be surprised if he does well elsewhere. Should just go back to Sampdoria honestly.
+1

at least he did much better job with Samp last seasons than Milan

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
He did not play the best players. Those that sucked in game after game were still in the starting eleven.

He did not listen to anybody, playing Suso all the time was part of the problem.

Why did he play them and bench Paqueta and Leao in the first place? Part of the problem.

The problem was with both Giampaolo and the players. The players looked confused, scared and insecure, exactly the way Giampaolo seemed on the bench and press conferences.

And god, please no Gattuso. The dude is good at motivating players and only that. He is a bad coach.
Who else can he played? Castillejo in place of Suso? Play Krunic instead of Kessie? Play Borini instead of Hakan? Play Conti instead Calabria? When things are not going right, he sub Hakan and Piatek for Leao and Paqueta and I applaud that move. I can see why he played Piatek and Hakan because at the crucial games, u always go for proven players like Hakan and Piatek but when these 2 under-performed, he was quick to haul them out.

The problem with us is we lacked of good players and when the good players lack of morale, confidences and self-belief, the whole team just collapse because we do not have players to cover them...

If we sack Giampaolo for someone influential like Wenger or Mourinho or even Allegri, I will be happy with the switch but in come Pioli who have done sh!t, I dun see how he is going to improve the team.

·
Super Moderator
13,618 Posts
There are a lot of issues in a manager job besides player selection.

Watch the next coach play pretty much the same players as the Fiore game and the team look different.

Some limitations will remain, of course.

Having said that, some of Giampaolo’s choices were shocking. Certainly not playing Hakan or Suso IMO —even in their current poor form they are at least very reasonable alternatives. But things not playing Leao who was by a million miles the team’s most in form attacking player (the only one really), and the garbage early selection.

Still, the problems ran a lot deeper than selection. The whole tenure was insanely poor, at every level.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Who else can he played? Castillejo in place of Suso? Play Krunic instead of Kessie? Play Borini instead of Hakan? Play Conti instead Calabria? When things are not going right, he sub Hakan and Piatek for Leao and Paqueta and I applaud that move. I can see why he played Piatek and Hakan because at the crucial games, u always go for proven players like Hakan and Piatek but when these 2 under-performed, he was quick to haul them out.

The problem with us is we lacked of good players and when the good players lack of morale, confidences and self-belief, the whole team just collapse because we do not have players to cover them...
Are you kidding right now? You had Bonaventura available, you could have gotten him involved earlier. It took him 2 games to replace Rodriguez for Hernandez(after Hernandez was already back). Never tried Bennacer in place of Hakan, since he was so in love with grandpa Biglia. Rebic instead of Suso who has been shit all season. And yes Conti in place of Calabria. And try Paqueta as trequartista for once. Let alone the nerve of benching Leao.

Instead of game after game after game after game watching RR, Hakan and Suso. If he would have done this than at least he would have left us no arguments and no ammunition. He makes it so easy to piss on him, because he did such a shit job that all the players are playing worse compared to last season.

If we sack Giampaolo for someone influential like Wenger or Mourinho or even Allegri, I will be happy with the switch but in come Pioli who have done sh!t, I dun see how he is going to improve the team.
Pioli's best place in Serie A is 3rd. Now that doesn't mean Pioli is great. But he's better than Jean Paul.

And there is no top manager willing to come to Milan. Allegri would have never suicided his career since he is the next Italian manager ready for a foreign job and a big pay. Mourinho probably would never wanted to come to Milan, unless Milan was a Top 5 team. Wenger probably doesn't get along with Gazidis. And Inter refused to even pay Spalletti a severance for the next 2 months and forgo the next year and a half, while Milan matched Spalletti's wages with Inter plus another year.

Now you can argue why they didn't go for a better foreign manager and instead settled for Pioli? That I agree. But arguing on why Jean Paul was replaced that's idiotic. I would have taken a Serie D manager, YES a Serie D manager over his amateur ass.

·
Registered
17,497 Posts
This club is in pure shambles.

I understand that he's not the right guy but at this juncture who is really? The whole organization is a huge mess.

Any club Ivan Gazidis touches....

·
Registered
17,497 Posts
Spalletti and Inter couldn't reach an agreement to dissolve his 2-year severance package, so he decides to stay at home collecting 2-years' paycheck from Inter.

Milan has no choice but turn to Pioli. It is reported he will earn just €1m this season, with €1.5m to follow next term if he sees out his deal.

Like Giampaolo, he is Interista:

Talk about going from bad to worse.:crying:

If we are looking for the cheapest option why not get Seedorf back :D

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
It frustrates me seeing all the people who make excuses for Giampaolo he is a clown who managed to muck up the easiest schedule we could've had all year. Looking to the future in our next 10 we play against juve,napoli,roma,lazio and atlanta which we 100% would've lost if we were still under giampaolo this will leave us facing relegation. At least right now we have slightly improved odds to actually come out with some results especially if what I believe this hiring means a "yes man" that will play the players Boban and Maldini ask him to play. This means seeing all our new signings take the field and no more cryptic genius tacticians that thinks he can pull a rose from the back of your ear. We need to bench Suso,Hakan,Musachio and Bigilia in favor of more inform players and if by the summer time we manage to finish anywhere from 5-6 it'll be a successful season in my eyes. At that point we continue this project and slowly build towards improving our squad we definitely have some very good pieces but we need to shed some more dead weight.

·
Super Moderator
13,618 Posts
Any club Ivan Gazidis touches....
Because we were brilliant before he arrived? Not that the current management is faultless (at all), but we have been in deep shit for more than seven years now, since Berlusconi started dismantling the team in the midst of his corruption, bankruptcy, and underage prostitution shenanigans. By the time his daughter, who at some point was President of AC Milan, was literally banging an injury-prone Brazilian forward and blocked a swap with Tevez who was in beast mode. Then, not before paying 20 million Euro for Bertolacci and failing to sign Donnarumma to a long term contract, they sold it to put his beloved club in "safe hands": a Chinese organization shadier than Al Qaeda, and certainly with less funds. Mismanaged like crazy, it defaulted in a year and put the club in the red for FFP, creating long-term problems. The club ended up as property of a vulture fund known for their deeply unethical financial deals. Then, last summer Leonardo spent some 45 M Euro in Laxalt, Castillejo, and six months of Higuain.

But yeah let's blame Gazidis. While we're at it: it's all Suso's fault really.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
But yeah let's blame Gazidis. While we're at it: it's all Suso's fault really.
Gazidis become an executive at Arsenal since 2008-2009 season. Arsenal's last EPL tittle was in 03-04, 5 years before. Meanwhile they have won 3 FA cups in the 9 years he was with them. Sounds like Arsenal was at their level before, during and after Gazidis. People ignore the raise of Chelsea, Man City, Tottenham and the renaissance of Liverpool.

·
Super Moderator
13,618 Posts
Yeah it's a much more complex situation but Gazidis has been turned into the villain there. It's easy to see why though -- he's got the charisma of a aging yuppie, very much an outsider vibe, emphasizes austerity, and his work tends to be about stability and not so much sport results. Arsenal had a once in football history generation just before, so that obviously created very high expectations too. Probably could have found a better balance with smarter signings and solving the Wenger situation earlier.

While I understand the frustration, it always seemed to me he was hired to qualify to CL and build a stadium, and to generate long terms sustainability, and he did just that. Just a different kind of project to what fans want. That's why he made sense for Milan, which was looking exactly to achieve these two things. And of course he had a relationship with Elliott.

Probably not the guy to run a club when you want to make a run for world domination, but on paper he is a good guy to secure the $$$ before that. Just like Galliani was very good at building a winning team when he had tons of money to spend, but was hardly any good at creating a sustainable institution, which obviously Berlusconi did not care about either. A different kind of CEO for a different situation. Now, Gazidis may fail at Milan -- and he is arguably failing so far, since finishing 4th sooner rather than later is key -- but can't say he is not a good candidate from that perspective.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Are you kidding right now? You had Bonaventura available, you could have gotten him involved earlier. It took him 2 games to replace Rodriguez for Hernandez(after Hernandez was already back). Never tried Bennacer in place of Hakan, since he was so in love with grandpa Biglia. Rebic instead of Suso who has been shit all season. And yes Conti in place of Calabria. And try Paqueta as trequartista for once. Let alone the nerve of benching Leao.
Bona was not match fit. Even in the game against Genoa, Bona was not at his best form. Hernandez was injured earlier in the season and when he is match fit, he played instead of RR. Bennacer is not a playmaker. Furthermore he cost us 2 penalty against Fiore. Do you think any coach will play him in a crucial match after that 2 penalty giveaways? We need someone who can create chances for our forward and Suso is definitely a better option than Rebic.

Conti in place of Calabria? oh pls, Conti was so poor against Inter. And yes, that's what he did when he replace Hakan with Paqueta at halftime.

With the resources that he had, He already did all he could. To sack Giampaolo and hire Pioli does not resolve the root of the problem.

·
Super Moderator
13,618 Posts
You cannot seriously believe the shit fest provided by Giampaolo is the best this squad can produce.

Nobody is claiming this squad is good enough to compete with Juve, but the level we have been seeing is rock bottom. Under Giampaolo almost all players’ performances dropped significantly. There was no cohesion at all either, and they were mentally a mess.

If Giampaolo’s Milan played Gattuso’ Milan, it would have its ass kicked.

Watch at least a few of the players improve in the next first 3-4 games.

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
MG had a whole summer to prepare and better players. Yet, Gattuso Milan played much better.

I don't think I've ever seen a clearer example of a manager ****ing up a squad so bad. Like, I know we don't have a world class squad, but should bottom feeder teams be outplaying us? With 10 men?

Even MG himself ADMITTED that it looked like the team never trained together.

So I do not understand defending him at all. Sacking was the only option.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Bona was not match fit. Even in the game against Genoa, Bona was not at his best form. Hernandez was injured earlier in the season and when he is match fit, he played instead of RR. Bennacer is not a playmaker. Furthermore he cost us 2 penalty against Fiore. Do you think any coach will play him in a crucial match after that 2 penalty giveaways? We need someone who can create chances for our forward and Suso is definitely a better option than Rebic.

Conti in place of Calabria? oh pls, Conti was so poor against Inter. And yes, that's what he did when he replace Hakan with Paqueta at halftime.
Why didn't he make Jack match feet? He's been training since August. On the game against Verona he only replaced Paqueta with Rebic at halftime and didn't make another change. How is Jack supposed to get match fit if he doesn't use him as a sub? He couldn't do 15 minutes towards the end?

Yes, Bennacer does make some stupid fouls(his issue with Empoli), but what has playmaker Biglia done so far? He's done stupid fouls, but being that he's 83 years old he has more experience not to make fouls in the penalty area. And you're going to judge Conti on Inter? Which of the Milan players played good against Inter? Only Donnarumma. BTW I'm still waiting on Suso, it's been 4 years now.

With the resources that he had, He already did all he could. To sack Giampaolo and hire Pioli does not resolve the root of the problem.
What should I say of Gattuso? Gattuso had the same players, actually worse as his attacking options were Castillejo and Suso. He only had Bakayoko who could help him on defense, but was no help on offense whatsoever.

You take a team that finished 5th and it's because of luck you're not tied with the last team. He did all he could? That's like me saying, I sent all my thoughts and prayers to a little guy in Africa so I did all I could.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Why didn't he make Jack match feet? He's been training since August. On the game against Verona he only replaced Paqueta with Rebic at halftime and didn't make another change. How is Jack supposed to get match fit if he doesn't use him as a sub? He couldn't do 15 minutes towards the end?

Yes, Bennacer does make some stupid fouls(his issue with Empoli), but what has playmaker Biglia done so far? He's done stupid fouls, but being that he's 83 years old he has more experience not to make fouls in the penalty area. And you're going to judge Conti on Inter? Which of the Milan players played good against Inter? Only Donnarumma. BTW I'm still waiting on Suso, it's been 4 years now.

What should I say of Gattuso? Gattuso had the same players, actually worse as his attacking options were Castillejo and Suso. He only had Bakayoko who could help him on defense, but was no help on offense whatsoever.

You take a team that finished 5th and it's because of luck you're not tied with the last team. He did all he could? That's like me saying, I sent all my thoughts and prayers to a little guy in Africa so I did all I could.

https://sempremilan.com/sky-milans-likely-xi-under-pioli-calhanoglu-keeps-his-place-in-4-2-3-1

Eat yr hearts out. Biglia to be the director of the team with Hakan, Suso, Piatek keeping their places in the team. No Leao, No Paqueta in the team...

So how different is it from Giampaolo?

·
Super Moderator
13,618 Posts
Difference 1: He has not managed a single match. Giampaolo managed seven.
Difference 2: it's a different formation.

Let's see how the team actually play. Again, selection was just one of many problems under Giampaolo (IMO not the worst one). Fans rarely with managers selection anyway. There's always a Suso or Hakan. Even players like Seedorf were insulted and managers insulted for playing them. Every season, under every manager. Just type "Ambrosini" or "christmas tree" on the forum search and watch people hate on Ancelotti.

The problem was that the team sucked balls.

As I said, I'm pretty sure in a month or less at least a few of the key players will look a lot better, and very likely the team as a whole will. It should not very hard. It doesn't even require being good at all.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
As I said, I'm pretty sure in a month or less at least a few of the key players will look a lot better, and very likely the team as a whole will. It should not very hard. It doesn't even require being good at all.
But you are pretty sure they won't ever look better under Giampaolo? What is the basis of your statement?

See I'm not looking for any debate, just that sometimes we go too far with our criticisms. I'm guilty of this as well. Most of us are. We just need to learn to cut people some slack (in this case Giampaolo). You have succeeded in making him like one terrible, horrible coach who's solely responsible for this problem. And this after 7 games. Now you've already concluded the players would be better (not saying they won't but won't stick my neck out), without even seeing them play one game under the mighty Pioli. It's the same thing as saying the players/team will certainly improve and be better if Giampaolo is given more time.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
But you are pretty sure they won't ever look better under Giampaolo? What is the basis of your statement?

See I'm not looking for any debate, just that sometimes we go too far with our criticisms. I'm guilty of this as well. Most of us are. We just need to learn to cut people some slack (in this case Giampaolo). You have succeeded in making him like one terrible, horrible coach who's solely responsible for this problem. And this after 7 games. Now you've already concluded the players would be better (not saying they won't but won't stick my neck out), without even seeing them play one game under the mighty Pioli. It's the same thing as saying the players/team will certainly improve and be better if Giampaolo is given more time.
Couldn't have said it better than myself....

121 - 140 of 149 Posts