Xtratime Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Of course we win away against one of the leaders after failing miserably at home.

I can't say much about the performance because all the interruptions in the play pissed me so much I actually missed our first goal. :) Savic's goal was pretty nice, though.

·
Administrator
52,356 Posts
Impressive form continues, and you keep doing favours for us lol, you meeting Napoli or Roma soon perhaps? :D

·
First Place winner, June 2010 Photo Contest
38,110 Posts
Prior to the game I didn't think much of our chances. So it's a welcome surprise to see that we won. It's a strange season that we're having, but hopefully this will be the long expected turning point.

·
38,110 Posts
At the press conference Pioli said his usual "the team must do more" comment. I guess he's so used to it that he now says it even when we manage to beat the likes of Fiorentina away.

·
Flop
5,498 Posts
Actually, I'm with Pioli on this one. So far this season I think we have a tendency to look way too complacent whenever something goes our way, and Pioli has to do something to keep the players fired up.

When we beat Inter everyone was convinced this was a turning point and we could walk on water. Then we put on a half assed performance against Carpi and got a kick in the balls. Pioli doesn't want that to happen again and that's why he says like he does.

Of course words from a press conference isn't enough and there is still much work to do the training ground.

·
Registered
13,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, the traditional mentality of Lazio (or our dear city rivals, for that matter) is such that drilling into the players' heads that they can do better is never a bad idea. And in any event, last season we hammered Fiorentina 4-0 (albeit at home), so we can do better.

·
38,110 Posts
This year's Fiorentina is pretty darn good. It's one heck of an achievement to go to their stadium and win 3-1. It's in those moments that the team deserves praise.

How is it going to motivate players if you keep repeating that things must improve, even after a victory like that? It sends the message that the coach is never satisfied so they might as well suck. It makes no difference. Pioli is going to say the exact same thing. Win, lose or draw.

Last season Pioli accepted all the praise that was heaped on him when the team played well. This season he blames his players when they get poor results. That's not good management. If he takes reponsiblity for success, he should also take responsibility for failure.

·
Registered
13,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Why are you assuming that the platitudes coaches say to the press are a good indicator of what the coaches say in the dressing room? For all we know Pioli could be full of praise in his half-time and pre-game motivational speeches.

And in any event, "there is room for improvement" is not same as "you might as well suck totally". There is room for improvement in Barcelona too, I am sure their coach mentions that quite often. Also, unless Football Italia butchered the translation, Pioli is saying we need to perform like we did in Florence more often, not that performing like that isn't good enough for him. He is right that beating the leaders away does us little good if can't beat the likes of Carpi.

·
Flop
5,498 Posts
This year's Fiorentina is pretty darn good. It's one heck of an achievement to go to their stadium and win 3-1. It's in those moments that the team deserves praise.

How is it going to motivate players if you keep repeating that things must improve, even after a victory like that? It sends the message that the coach is never satisfied so they might as well suck. It makes no difference. Pioli is going to say the exact same thing. Win, lose or draw.

Last season Pioli accepted all the praise that was heaped on him when the team played well. This season he blames his players when they get poor results. That's not good management. If he takes reponsiblity for success, he should also take responsibility for failure.
When we beat Inter, Pioli praised the team and called it the best performance in the season. That obviously didn't work as a motivational factor since we sucked more than ever against Carpi.

I don't see anything wrong with further striving for improvement.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I'm not sure what Pioli is saying to the players is necessarily the reason for our guys hot and cold performances.

I can guess some of them aren't always 'present' but when they do decode to show up they can be deadly.

To not be able to score in Rome against Carpi one week and then destroy fiorentina away the next is really mind boggling :hangover:

I was pleased how they played there but can't say with confidence that they'll do the same next game. Who knows which guys will show up next???

1 - 10 of 10 Posts