1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Serie A Week 16 - 19/12/04 (15.00)
Fiorentina - Chievo

Stadio Franchi

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Viola will need a convincing performance to recover from their incredible 6-0 drubbing at the hands of Milan, while Chievo aim to push their way into the UEFA Cup places.

Fiorentina have rarely been so humiliated as at the San Siro on Sunday afternoon, as the reigning Italian Champions carved them up mercilessly. Sergio Buso’s men are more comfortable on home turf and will be eager to prove to their fans that it was a mere blip on the scanner. Goalkeeper Cristiano Lupatelli is out with injury, as are Luca Ariatti and Martin Jorgensen.

Chievo are brimming with confidence following their 2-1 victory over Palermo, ending a run of two consecutive defeats. Federico Cossato hadn’t scored since September, but his brace should get him back on track. Franceschini is suspended for this trip to Florence, so Franco Semioli should step in with Luciano taking the other flank.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fiorentina (probable): Roccati; Delli Carri, Viali, Dainelli; Piangerelli, Ujfalusi, Maresca, Obodo, Chiellini; Miccoli, Rigano

Chievo (probable): Marchegiani; Moro, Mandelli, D’Anna, Lanna; Luciano, Brighi, Baronio, Semioli; Amauri, Cossato

Ref: To follow...

channel4

·
Registered
904 Posts
Other than Roccati starting in goal this time, this is the exact same lineup that just got torn apart. Doesn't bode well for us.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Can't Nakata get himself into gear and slot into the midfield?
I'd rather Nakata in the midfield as long as Ujfalusi is taking care of the backline

btw where's Cejas?

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Miccoli misses Chievo clash Saturday 18 December, 2004

Fiorentina are forced to play their third choice goalkeeper and a new front pairing after Fabrizio Miccoli suffered an injury setback.

The former Juventus star has been a key player for the Viola so far this season, but he has been struggling with tendon problems in both ankles for the last few weeks.

“We’ll perform a late fitness test, but he hasn’t trained all week and to be frank I’m not sure he can even sit on the bench,” revealed Coach Sergio Buso.

It’s a heavy blow for the side as they take on Chievo – a side that has won at the Stadio Artemio Franchi in its only Serie A trip here.

With Miccoli out of action, Buso could either advance Hidetoshi Nakata into a support role for Christian Riganò, or partner the Italian with former Real Madrid striker Javier Portillo. Whatever the tactics, they’ll need quite a result to wash away the taste of their 6-0 drubbing at Milan.

“The lads realise that performance was not up to the standards we have set ourselves,” commented the Coach. “The approach was wrong under every aspect. They seem ready to make up for it and we know Chievo’s structure well.”

The goalkeeping crisis will see former Dundee shot-stopper Marco Roccati take centre stage, as Sebastian Cejas and Cristiano Lupatelli are ruled out.

“I hope to rush my recovery with extra work over the Christmas break so that I can return within a month,” noted ex-Chievo ‘keeper Lupatelli after knee surgery.

“When I clattered into Hernan Crespo I felt a twinge, but carried on playing until half-time. The doctor took a look at it and tests later confirmed I’d need an operation on the ligament, but I’m confident I’ll be back soon.”

channel4

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
FIORENTINA: 12 Roccati M. 21 Ujfalusi T. 55 Viali W. 3 Dainelli D. 25 Maggio C. 5 Obodo C. 14 Maresca E. 4 Chiellini G. 18 Portillo J. 10 Nakata H. 9 Rigano' C

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Mago said:
Does Buso even know that we have Valdes? :blind:
Same question I wanted to ask. He was injured but should be ok already.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Anyone can provide some sort of commentary for this match?
eurosport.com/football doesnt have it.. i wish to know how its going..

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
I was almost sure we would lose this one without Lupatelli and Miccoli but looks like I was wrong this time.

Chievo is also one man down after Lanna was expelled.

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Serie A Week 16 - 19/12/04 (15.00)
Fiorentina 2 - 0 Chievo
Rigano' 44 (F), Portillo 70 (F)
Stadio Franchi

Javier Portillo has given Coach Sergio Buso another option to consider after setting up one goal and scoring another in this rare start.

The Viola needed a good result to recover from their 6-0 drubbing at Milan, but were forced to do without the injured Fabrizio Miccoli, Martin Jorgensen, Cristiano Lupatelli and Sebastian Cejas, so former Dundee goalkeeper Marco Roccati guarded the sticks and ex-Real Madrid striker Javier Portillo partnered Christian Rigano'.

Portillo has been left warming the bench for much of this season, but he showed what he can do with a spectacular half-volley that slammed the far post from 20 metres.

Luca Marchegiani was kept busy by Enzo Maresca and Chris Obodo efforts, while Chievo's first shot was punched away by Roccati from Roberto Baronio on 39 minutes.

The deadlock was eventually broken on the stroke of half-time, as Rigano' was allowed a free header on Portillo's corner kick.

Veteran goalkeeper Marchegiani did well to run off his line and clear from Portillo with an outstretched foot.

Rigano' really should have made it 2-0 on the hour mark when Portillo's low cross had already beaten Marchegiani, but he somehow managed to scuff the ball from five yards.

Salvatore Lanna saw red for Chievo when he brought down Christian Maggio as he ran towards the goal. It proved a crucial moment, as from that free kick Javier Portillo placed a razor-sharp free kick in at the near post.

Maggio also saw red in the closing stages due to a second bookable offence.

Fiorentina: Roccati; Ujfalusi, Viali, Dainelli, Maggio; Obodo, Maresca, Chiellini, Nakata (Delli Carri 90); Portillo (Valdes 76), Riganò

Chievo: Marchegiani, Moro, Mandelli, D'Anna, Lanna; Luciano (Tiribocchi 76), Brighi, Baronio (Zanchetta 46), Franceschini; Amauri, Cossato (Pellissier 54)

Ref: Rizzoli

Sent off: Lanna 69 (C), Maggio 89 (F)

channel4

·
Registered
6,768 Posts
Well done La Viola, its so nice to see you returning to the old days. its good to have a team of your history and statua back in Serie A.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts