Xtratime Community banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Important fixture before the Inter game, we have to win this after the defeat against Udinese.

Serie A Week 32

Fiorentina - Reggina
Stadio Franchi

The pressure is growing on both teams, as Fiorentina cannot afford another slip-up and neither can Reggina.

The Viola can be thankful that Milan continue to stumble, as their own disappointing results have not lost them that fourth Champions League spot so far. Udinese and Sampdoria are in the race now too, so they must make the most of home advantage against one of the relegation strugglers. The Stadio Artemio Franchi ties become particularly crucial considering Fiorentina have lost three away games on the bounce.

The 3-1 defeat at Udinese last Sunday was a worrying one, as it allowed the Friulani to climb into fifth place just three points adrift of Cesare Prandelli's squad. Admittedly, that result did come without the suspended Adrian Mutu and Fabio Liverani, but the Coach still said he was disappointed with the “lack of character.” Those two stars are back and the only injury concern is Franco Semioli, while Alessandro Gamberini should make his comeback in the UEFA Cup clash with PSV Eindhoven on Thursday after a fortnight out.

Reggina's performances have certainly improved since Nevio Orlandi took over from Renzo Ulivieri and, to a degree, so have the results. A 4-0 demolition job on Siena was followed by positive draws with Livorno and Napoli, but their poor away record cost them in Sunday's 2-0 loss at Genoa. Cagliari's sudden resurgence has left them in penultimate place, but still well in the relegation battle, as there are currently four teams just two points away.

The history books don't bode well for the Calabrians, who have not managed a single away victory all season and have lost all five of their Serie A visits to Florence. During that time they scored four goals and conceded 13. At least Orlandi doesn't have too many injury headaches, as Emil Hallfredsson is back to full fitness and the only absentees are Montiel and Modesto. Franco Brienza continues to be the forward they had been looking for and could be partnered by Francesco Cozza in support of Nicola Amoruso, leaving Stephen Makinwa on the bench. It would be Cozza's first start since the Livorno game on March 19.

Keep an eye on: Adrian Mutu (Fiorentina) - His absence was sorely felt at the Stadio Friuli and Fiorentina will be glad to have the Romanian back on board with his goals and assists.
I hope the fatigue from the PSV match would not trouble us here. Now that Udinese and Sampdoria are also chasing the fourth spot, we must not lose here.

·
Registered
904 Posts
1-0 in the 23rd. Goal by Pazzini. Kinda against the run of play surprisingly. So far they've controled more than we have. Still, Pazzini took his chance very well.

·
Registered
904 Posts
They hit the post in the 35th. Most of the match has been played around our goal. We're not doing well (though we do have the lead).

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
They hit the post in the 35th. Most of the match has been played around our goal. We're not doing well (though we do have the lead).
And Frey has made wondersave to keep us afloat.

Too bad Donadel received yellow and is out of game against Inter :(

·
Registered
904 Posts
56th minute now. I think the pitch is tilted to one side. In the second half most of the play has been around their goal now (the same side we were on in the first half when they were always around our goal). We're controlling play now. Jorg came on for Papa at the half.

Pasqual just hit the post as I was typing this.

·
Registered
904 Posts
actually Pasqual hit the crossbar.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Vieri on for Pazzini in the 70th. Pazzini played well and had a few more shots on goal that the goalie had to save. Good game by him.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Some great moves in the box by....Vieri? Did I just write that?

·
Registered
904 Posts
79th min. Gobbi comes on for Liverani. And yeah HuntKop, Jorg has been exellent for us in this match. In fact, I think he's been pretty awesome for us in most every match I've seen him play in. I thought this season his age would be catching up to him (though I don't know quite how old he actually is, but he just seems like a player that's been around for a while now), but he's been big for a lot of our games.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Goal Mutu in the 91st!!!

·
Registered
904 Posts
Break away goal with us going at them 3 on 2. Gobbi to Vieri to Mutu. Just moments before we had another breakaway with Vieri and Mutu going at them only that time Mutu missed it. Despite the fact that he did just get this goal, I think Mutu has had a horrible match. Has just looked listless throughout.

·
Registered
904 Posts
FT. We win 2-0. Deserved win, especially with our play in the second half. They controlled things in the first, but we were able to still create danger on occasion (and got a goal for Pazzini). The second half was all us. Frey could have gone across the street and gotten a sandwich and it wouldn't have changed anything in the game.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Break away goal with us going at them 3 on 2. Gobbi to Vieri to Mutu. Just moments before we had another breakaway with Vieri and Mutu going at them only that time Mutu missed it. Despite the fact that he did just get this goal, I think Mutu has had a horrible match. Has just looked listless throughout.
I would agree, for the most part. He had a few moments of typical brilliance, and there were also a few times that we were scrambling and he did well to hold possession and calm things down. Overall I'm glad he was in there today, but he wasn't himself.

I noticed from the outset of the match that Mutu was extra-petulant -- arguing with the refs and looking for calls.

All in all a CRITICAL win. Well done Viola!!!!!

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Very nervous second half. We had several good chances but their goalie saved their ass each time. I was so afraid that they will surprise us with the goal to make our life much worse but luckily everything went as hoped :)
I was surprised that Vieri made several good moves and passes and was included in last goal also together with Gobbi.

Siena surprised Udinese and managed to get draw :).

·
Registered
904 Posts
Samp and Milan both won their matches, so they stay 4 points behind, however Udinese were held to a 1-1 tie at Sienna, so we've stretched our lead over them to 5 points.

This was a match we were supposed to win. Good that we did.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just what we need before the PSV and Inter match. Next week would be the problem though, since the possibility of losing against Inter is high, especially away.

Oh, and someone please make the Inter-Fiorentina thread...when I make threads for our away games, most of the time the result is against us :howler:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.