Xtratime Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
59,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He'll join us on a bosman in the summer. I don't know much about him as I've seen him only twice live.

What's he like? do you think he'll be quick and strong enough to make it in the premiership since most central midfielders there seem to be more athletes

and also can he play on the flanks?

thanks in advance :cool:

·
Registered
57 Posts
I suspect you have seen Mika Väyrynen of Heerenveen playing more often. Tainio is very similar to him: hard working, good ball control and passing. Tainio is also an excellent tackler and he's got a decent shot. He is quite short for a player who plays defensive midfielder though. He is also injury prone, but I think that has much to with his enormous work rate inside of the field. I believe Guy Roux once said that Tainio's body can't cope more than one game per week if he continues to play the way he does.

Tainio has played more of a right winger than central midfielder this season with Auxerre. He said during the winter break that he is not too happy with his performances though and would prefer to play at his usual position.

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Tainio signs for Tottenham

By Neil Vaughan
Date: 27/1/2005

AUXERRE midfielder Teemu Tainio will join Tottenham Hotspur on a free transfer at the end of the season. The Finnish international has...

Your Location: Home > Latest News

Tainio signs for Tottenham
By Neil Vaughan for THEspursweb.com

AUXERRE midfielder Teemu Tainio will join Tottenham Hotspur on a free transfer at the end of the season.

The Finnish international has signed a pre-contract agreement with Spurs and will link up with his White Hart Lane team-mates for pre-season in the summer.

The 25-year-old has won 25 full caps for Finland, scoring five goals. He has made over 150 appearances for Auxerre.

"We are delighted that we have been able to secure Teemu now and do not have to wait until the summer to make the signing," Sporting Director Frank Arnesen told the official Spurs site: "We know many other top clubs were keen on him.

"He is a versatile midfielder who can play anywhere across the middle."

Tainio added"I am thrilled at the prospect of playing for Tottenham and in the Premiership," he said. "It is one of the best leagues in the world. I look forward to joining everyone in July."

·
Registered
59,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Zippi said:
I suspect you have seen Mika Väyrynen of Heerenveen playing more often. Tainio is very similar to him: hard working, good ball control and passing. Tainio is also an excellent tackler and he's got a decent shot. He is quite short for a player who plays defensive midfielder though. He is also injury prone, but I think that has much to with his enormous work rate inside of the field. I believe Guy Roux once said that Tainio's body can't cope more than one game per week if he continues to play the way he does.

Tainio has played more of a right winger than central midfielder this season with Auxerre. He said during the winter break that he is not too happy with his performances though and would prefer to play at his usual position.
yeah I'm a big fan of Mika. Hope he comes to Feyenoord one day but knowing us, we'll say that he's too expensive and then get some overpaid joker.

Sounds good about Tainio. :)
We'll have a lot of CMs for him to compete with though, so I think he'll have to show that he's better than Carrick, Mendes and the likes or he'll have to show his versatile qualities by playing on the flanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts