Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Arena will announce his 23-player roster for the 2002 World Cup Monday on the 6 p.m. (ET) edition of ESPN's SportsCenter. The World Cup runs May 31 to June 30 in South Kora and Japan."

Kudos to ESPN for covering this announcement on Sports Center. :)

·
Registered
674 Posts
Kudos

Let's hold the kudos for ESPN until we see if they really do it and at the time they are supposled to.

A cynical old player.

L

·
0 Posts
Well its about damn time some one covers soccer. However I do have to say that in 98 they did cover sampson announcement , and they did a good job of covering the tournamnt over all.

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
94,488 Posts
hot news hot news hot news

from yahoo sports in my home page...this just in :

According to sources, here's the bulk of the MLS contingent on the 23-man World Cup 2002 squad, to be announced by U.S. coach Bruce Arena Monday:

Jeff Agoos, Landon Donovan (San Jose); Eddie Pope (D.C. United); Cobi Jones (Los Angeles); Chris Armas, DaMarcus Beasley, Josh Wolff (Chicago); Clint Mathis (MetroStars); Brian McBride (Columbus); Carlos Llamosa (New England); Tony Meola (Kansas City).

The European-based group is Kasey Keller (Tottenham/England), Brad Friedel (Blackburn/England), Tony Sanneh (Nuremberg/Germany), Frankie Hejduk (Bayer Leverkusen/Germany), Eddie Lewis (Fulham/England), John O'Brien (Ajax Amsterdam/Netherlands), Gregg Berhalter (Crystal Palace/England), Claudio Reyna (Sunderland/England), Earnie Stewart (NAC/Netherlands), David Regis (Metz/France) and Joe-Max Moore (Everton/England).

As of April 18, one spot was still undecided. It will be filled by Richard Mulrooney of San Jose, Brian Maisonneuve of Columbus or Ante Razov of Chicago.

:cap:

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
Oh my...you blink once and next thing you know colocolo has over 10,000 posts...I don't know if I should congradulate you or tell you to take a little vacation....WITH NO COMPUTER!!!!:D :D

Well I think that Arena has put together a nice roster. I still think that Portugal is the best in that group, but the way Poland has played in their friendlies this group of US players can give us all a nice surprise and move finish second in the group and move on to the knockout phase where they will play either Croatia or Italy whoever finished first or second in that group (sorry fans of equador and Mexico)....

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
94,488 Posts
JureM said:
Oh my...you blink once and next thing you know colocolo has over 10,000 posts...I don't know if I should congradulate you or tell you to take a little vacation....WITH NO COMPUTER!!!!:D :D

I Just did :excited: I was in the N East between March 29 and April 6th..With NO PC in sight !!!! :smileani:

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don't forget--Arena's announcement is tonight (4/22) at 6:00 pm EDT.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'm going to cry...

for JOY! :D This lineup is almost EXACTLY who I wanted. Pablo and Beas both make it, and no ABMOD!!! THANK YOU BRUCE!!!

-Kevin

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
OFFICALLY ...

The full roster:

Goalkeepers:
Brad Friedel, Kasey Keller, Tony Meola

Defenders:
Jeff Agoos, Gregg Berhalter, Frankie Hejduk, Carlos Llamosa, Pablo Mastroeni, Eddie Pope, David Regis, Tony Sanneh

Midfielders:
Chris Armas, DaMarcus Beasley, Landon Donovan, Cobi Jones, Eddie Lewis, John O'Brien, Claudio Reyna, Earnie Stewart

Forwards:
Clint Mathis, Brian McBride, Joe-Max Moore, Josh Wolff

·
Registered
541 Posts
No surprises on his roster. I'm sure the guys picked for the next 11 available would debate Bruce's choices, but it was pretty clear weeks ago.:rolleyes:

I think we will field the strongest US Team ever. While our defense is suspect, remember we had Dooley, and Burns on our back line in 98.

I heard that Sanneh is going to be the right back. I hope the right midfielder tracks back well.:tongue:

NO MATTER HOW HARD THEY TRY THEY CANT STOP US NOW:cool:

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Who Lost Out

Richie Williams...to everyone's relief

Jovan Kirovski...had many opportunities to prove himself and never did

Greg Vanney...poor showing in last game didn't help his chances

Richard Mulrooney...came out of nowhere to make a very good impression

Steve Cherudulo...played himself out of a chance...I'll say it again, he'll be better as a defensive midfielder (a la Armas)

Ante Ratzov...had quite a few chances to prove himself and just didn't have enough to beat out the other forwards

Tim Howard...I think Arena took the safe way out and chose Meola's experience; also a reward for Tony's long service to the team

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
I had seen a game of the old team of Mastroeni (the one which was closed down) and while I was impressed, I'm quite sure the (Italian) commentator said he was Peruvian or something. Did he get a citizenship recently or in order to be eligible for USA, or the italian commentator was just wrong?

Anyway, judging on the sole game I watch him this Mastroeni dude is something else. Is he a starter? If he plays every time as good as he played when I saw him, half Europe will be after him come summer.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Amo at the US boards...WOW!!...That's a shock - welcome Amo!

...Mastro! I think a lot of people are happy that Bruce chose him for the final 23. He's a great player and still pretty young...Most of our defenders are getting on a bit.

He's not Peruvian, but was actually born in Argentina (like Reyna). But he's a U.S. citizen through and through...He's not a starter, yet. But who knows, he may be by June...

I'm kind of hoping to see him get a look at Defensive mid in place of Armas, just to see how he does. Armas has looked overmatched against the Euro competition.

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
Was Reyna born in Argentina?? I know his parents were but I thought he was born here in the States.

I have to say Arena picked a good team.

·
Registered
674 Posts
The 23

Guys,

Like the other posters, I am happy. We can get on with it now. Bruce's comments the other day were pretty insightful regarding how he might change the starting 11 at the WC depending on the opposition. Generally not an idea I favor, but there is nothing wrong with tweaking this bunch a bit. They have shown for a year that they can work well together in different combinations. Bruce has not over-coached.

Hern, I really liked your synopsis on the players not chosen. I especially liked your comments on Mulrooney. He has improved markedly from his first few appearances. This is somewhat surprising in that he is not exactly a rookie. It just shows that real game time significantly helps some players. I think Bruce was able to give an honest look to a number of guys this time.

Thanks and go NATS!

Oldplayer

P.S. I played with some youngsters the other day. I sucked and am still depressed! Had I played that bad ten years ago, I would have just said it was an off day and drank some beer. Now, I am afraid alcohol no longer staves off reality as well as it used too! I would change my name from "Oldplayer" to "Old Fart" except that people would confuse me with OSF!:D

1 - 20 of 63 Posts