Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Second Place winner, October 2012 XT Photo Contest
3,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The American style with the French name. This probably is my favorite style of film, bar none. It mostly encompasses crime films made in the USA between 1946 and 1960 (pedants would say only to 1957), usually in black and white and with a small budget. Most are noted for having a bit of a cynical world view, some violence, a lot of sublimated sex and having great dialogue. Not particularly respected as great films in their day and place of creation (because, like Westerns, they are genre films), these classics are becomming more and more respected as both art and entertainment. People have written entire books on the subject (and even just on the conventions of Film Noir cinematography alone), so I won't. I'll just mention a few of my favorites:
Detour: Never give a hitchhiker a ride, lesson one. Until the release of Lost In Translation, this was one of the few films in which the boom microphone is an integral character. Budget was about $5.

The Devil Thumbs A Ride: Never give a hitchhiker a ride, lesson two. Lawrence Tierney was a bad mother****er back in those days, and you can see why Quentin tarantino was scared of him 50 years later while making Resevoir Dogs.

The Window: Poor little Bobby Driscoll sees a murder but nobody'll beleive him. Scared the hell out of me when I was young.

Double Indemnity: The whole thing is just evil, and the purest love is that of Edward G. Robinson towards the insurance business.

Gun Crazy: John Dall as the biggest schlub in a genre of big schlubs. Peggy Cumming admires a big firearm.

Kiss Me Deadly: Mike Hammer has modern acutrements we don't even have yet and its 2004! Everybody wants what they have in that box...

Pick Up on South Street: "Go on, mister, kill me, you'd be doing me a big favor."

Ace In The Hole: The most misanthropic film ever made. Everybody is just terrible.

Leave Her To Heaven: Gene Tierney as the fatal-est femme ever born.

Strangers On A Train: One hand washes the other...

Kiss Of Death: Richard Widmark as the looniest nut ever. Best pushing-old-lady-down-a-flight-of-stairs-while-laughing-scene ever.

The Killing: As Robert Johnson said, has Elgin movement from its head to its toes...and Timothy Carey!

The Naked Kiss: Bald hookers!

Shadow Of A Doubt: The second most misanthropic film ever made.

White Heat: Go Cody Jarrett! A boy who really loved his mother.

Touch Of Evil: Chuck Heston as a Mexican!

The Sweet Smell Of Success: The third most misanthropic movie ever made.

The Strange Love Of Martha Ivers: Best film title ever. Plus has the great dialogue exchange:
Mrs. Ivers: "You don't seem very sorry."
Martha: "I am sorry. Sorry I got caught."

The Big Combo: Contains what is possibly the first implied oral sex scene in a movie (1955), which should count for something. Plus, has the classic line:
"It happens to be against two laws, God's and man's. I'm booking her on the second."

RIO

·
Random Dropout
1,508 Posts
That's one hell of a list,mainly because i have no idea about most of these films:D.Sometimes i wish i were born in America..or at least that i could find any film that i want on VHS or DVD:D

Out of that list i've seen :star:Kiss Me Deadly:star:,Strangers on A Train,Touch of Evil,Double Indemnity only and i have no idea about most of the others:eek:

I've also seen The Maltese Falcon and Big Sleep,both classics of the genre

Ofcourse this is if we talk about the classic American film noir within these time limits and cinematic conventions cause such is their influnce,aesthetically and on the whole concept of the urban/crime movie genre that tenths of later films up to our days could be described as noir

What attracts me in these films apart from their whole aesthetics is the female characters with the noir hearts and the whole political-incorrectness-mostly-antiheroes concept

Great thread RIO

:thumbsup:

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
RIO said:
Ace In The Hole: The most misanthropic film ever made. Everybody is just terrible.
GREAT movie! :thumbsup: But I have to disagree with you, not everybody is bad in this movie... the poor sap who gets stuck inside the tunnel is a good guy. ;)

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
You have great taste, Rio! (as if you didn't know)

My new yorkese uncle is a Film Noir enthusiast :)D ), so we have a 'festival' here every year, at a tiny screening room in the centre of town. Double Idemnity, The Maltese Falcon, Kiss of Death, Gun Crazy, The Night of the Hunter and The Last Seduction are some of the ones that they showed there. Its hard to make out what defines this genre in writing, but when you see the film you can tell its film noir.

Also Cat People and Out of the Past.. by Jacques Tourneur, to name two that I don't think you mentioned. That was pretty film noir-ish I think :)

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Some others:

The Third Man
Du rififi chez les hommes
M

Those 3 are probably my favourites, but i dont know if they are all considered Film Noir or not

·
Registered
11,928 Posts
am i the only guy that likes all types of movies as long as its has a great storyline and filmed brilliantly?

seriously, bring movies on in no matter wat form as long as its enjoyable to watch and can be appreciated for its beauties.

except for western films, they can die and burn. DIE AND BURN I SAY!!!

·
3,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Re: Film Noir

Garrincha said:
GREAT movie! :thumbsup: But I have to disagree with you, not everybody is bad in this movie... the poor sap who gets stuck inside the tunnel is a good guy. ;)
Yeah, you are right, the tunnel guy was all right. :)
Another film that, while not technically film noir, is just full of dripping evil-ness, is A Face In the Crowd. If you see it you will never be able to watch ol' Sheriff Andy Griffith on TV the same way again. What an evil bastard he played, shuckin' and a-grinnin' all the while. Plus, I always crack my sister up when I call GW Bush "Ol Lonesome", since she's seen the movie and knows what I am talking about...

RIO

·
Registered
55,903 Posts
Teddy Bear said:
Some others:

The Third Man
Du rififi chez les hommes
M

Those 3 are probably my favourites, but i dont know if they are all considered Film Noir or not
i'm not that aware about film noir movies.
i think melville done excellent film noir movies. also, i like the french gangsta movies with humour like those with dialogues from michel audiard.
i don't know if you know him rio, do you know him?

·
Random Dropout
1,508 Posts
I've seen Le Samurai,it's a masterpiece.

But other than that,i think what Melville did was making a french version of American films he liked,no?

·
Registered
55,903 Posts
spAd! said:
I've seen Le Samurai,it's a masterpiece.

But other than that,i think what Melville did was making a french version of American films he liked,no?
indeed, "le samurai" is a masterpiece.
but i don't think melville has been influenced by american films or did french version of it. quite the opposite, american directors have been influenced by him.
i found out a site in english about him, here it is :
http://www.sensesofcinema.com/contents/directors/02/melville.html

·
Honourable Mention, October 2011 Photo Contest
18,041 Posts
Others, non mentioned, and recommended:
Bob le flambeur (the original I think from Melville,is there a remake by Neil Jordan)
The Lady of Shangai (welles)
Sray dog (kurosawa)
Out of the past (totall classic, from Jacques Tourner)

and with elements of that style but newers:

The one from Cohen's brothers, with Billy Bob Thorton
and the movie from Hanson "L.A. al desnudo"
the one from Mel Gibson, I think it was called Payback has elements of Noir
Deux hommes dans le ville (delon+Renoir) from the 70's

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
this is a genre I enjoy very much too. Some that I don't think have been mentioned and should be,

Rashomon
Farewell My Lovely
Murder My Sweet
Postman Always Rings Twice
The Killers
Call Northside 777
The Wrong Man
The Third Man
Fury

...so many memories..thanks Elwy Yost!

·
International
9,526 Posts
Maltese Falcon and the Big Sleep....brilliant. Anything by Raymond Chandler though, tended to translate well to screen. But Rio, would you describe White Heat as film noir?

·
Premium Member
27,068 Posts
where has this thread been all my life or are you not the kind to kiss and tell?

Che Marlowe

·
3,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You just have to whistle. You know how to whistle don't you, Che?
You just put your lips together and

blow.

·
Premium Member
27,068 Posts
Heather said:
You just have to whistle. You know how to whistle don't you, Che?
You just put your lips together and

blow.
She liked me. I could feel that. The way you feel when the cards are falling right for you, with a nice little pile of blue and yellow chips in the middle of the table. Only what I didn’t know then was that I wasn’t playing her. She was playing me, with a deck of marked cards and the stakes weren’t any blue and yellow chips. They were dynamite.

che thinking out loud...

:D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts