Xtratime Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at my wallpaper i have a picture of Figo still playing at Sporting . Just think if he was there playing tonight.Benfica fans would than hope they play Celta Vigo more often.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The best team is the team which is on top and right now we are that team.
VIVA SPORTING O MAIOR CLUBE PORTUGUES

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Paulo I said MAIOR not MELHOR.
Benfica are O MAIOR CLUBE PORTUGUES because they have the most fans biggest stadium and have won the most competitions out of portuguese teams, includng 2 european cups which sporting havent even won once!
On the other hand in my opinion porto are O MELHOR CLUBE PORTUGUES because they have played 13 games more than sporting and are only 1 point behind sporting.

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
No offense, SLB, but your comment about Porto playing 13 more games than Sporting and only trailing by a point made no sense at all.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
The point I was trying to make was that porto have had to play a lot more games than sporting and so are more tired than sporting and to only be a point behind is a good achivement.
If you look at the other leagues nearly every team that has done well in the CL has striggled domestically and most of them have much larger squads than porto and so are able to rotate their squad without really affecting the quality of their team but porto with the exception of 2 or 3 positions cant.

·
Registered
646 Posts
This is a media cliche that simply isn't true.

CL quarterfinalists:

Barca, Real, Valencia.
3 of the top 5 in Spain along with Deportivo and Zaragosa.

Bayern - 2nd in Germany

Lazio - won Italien title

Porto, 2nd in Portugal

Chelsea - 5th after 3rd place finish last year, Chelsea are not 5th just because of the CL - you could argue that Man U, Arsenal, Leeds and Liverpool are simply better teams.

Man U - won league with massive 18 point margin.

Don't forget Sporting's problems with Materazzi and the turmoil the club was in until November.

I think this had a more detrimental effect on Sporting than the CL on Porto.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
O.k I am not devaluing what sporting achieved but in the spainsh league traditionally dominated by barca and r. madrid has a secind tier team leading its league in my opinion because of their top teams exertion in the CL.
Last year b.munich cruised to the title and this year with basicaaly the same team they have struggled and have practically lost the title.
Lazio won the title because of a dramatic colapse by juventus in the last 5 to 6 games coz remember before lazio went out of the CL they were 9 points behind a team who wasnt in the CL.
Porto dominated portugal the last 5 years and with apart from zahovic still have the same team but in the league struggled.
And finally chelsea they came 5th with an improved squad to the squad that came 3rd and was challenging for the title with 2 games left but this year the league was a distant possible halfway through the season and a top 3 finish was a distant possibilty 4 games from the end.
P.S Santamaria u still havent told me what u have against 16 year olds?

[This message has been edited by SLB (edited 17-05-2000).]

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bayern,won the league last year and got into the CL final.Man u won the treble last year.

Just ,because you in the CL doesnt mean you tired.I play two games a week practise 3 times a week.We are still in all the cups and are first in the league that gives us confidence to show that we the strongest side in our league , but this year porto arent and we are so we go all out to win the cup.

·
Registered
119 Posts
hey guys i'm new to the forum, First i just want to congratulate sporting on their championship and their good year.....
BUt i just wanted to say that Porto didnt have a repeat champion season because they were under manned and i do feel that the extra games had an impact on them. As for the stats shown that teams in the champions league did well in their league such as lazio and bayern..well..take at look at those teams talent and payroll..you would probably find it better than that which porto had..let me know what you think??

D

·
0 Posts
Welcome Dragao!! :), I totally agree with your comments about our season, and as for our payroll, there is no way we can compete with the Lazio's etc... but we need to scout talent and find quality that way rather than splashing out hords of dosh on dodgy Yugoslav goalkeepers :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts