Xtratime Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
This aticle is on soccernet, which I realize is not the most reliable source. The one interesting thing is that the journalist is Italian, not English. But nevetheless, here we go...

Friday May 26, 2000, 10:55 PM London Time
I want to join United, says Figo
By Gabriele Marcotti
EXCLUSIVE: Manchester United will be offered the chance to buy Barcelona winger Luis Figo for £8million next week because the brilliant Portuguese international wants to move to Old Trafford.

Figo insisted on a get-out clause when he extended his current contract until 2004 and although AC Milan, Lazio and Inter have all been chasing him in recent weeks, the 27-year-old has told his agent that United are the team for him.

Inevitably, the estimated £55,000 a week Figo earns at the Camp Nou will test the Old Trafford pay structure but the prospect of pairing him with David Beckham, perhaps allowing the England man to play in central midfield, is exciting.

The news came on the same day that Mark Bosnich emphasised the magnetic lure of life at Old Trafford by turning down the chance to chase Olympic gold with Australia in Sydney.

Bosnich has announced that he wants, instead, to spend the summer getting fit and making sure he is ready to fight to be United's first choice next season.

His resolve would only have increased with surprise news from Copenhagen that Peter Schmeichel is thought likely to leave Sporting Lisbon after only one season, during which he took them to the Portuguese League title and runners-up in the Cup Final.

Although Schmeichel may now return to Hvidovre, the club at which he began his career and has now bought, it would be no surprise if he were to offer United a temporary solution to their goalkeeping problems.

Bosnich is aware that another goalkeeper will be brought in - France's Fabien Barthez has often been linked with United - but the return of Schmeichel would be the ultimate blow.

Meanwhile, United manager Sir Alex Ferguson will now have the pleasure of hearing that Figo, who helped destroy Chelsea in the Champions League Quarter-final and who starred against United during two 3-3 draws two seasons ago, wants to sign up.

If that happens, the pain at Maine Road will be intense given that Manchester City turned down the chance to sign him from Sporting Lisbon in 1994-95.

·
Registered
964 Posts
In Man uniteds FU(KING DREAMS.
Figo will never lower him self to that disgrace of football.
Figo said that he will stay at Barce until his contract expires or if he is unhappy which he isnt , after that he will return to Sporting Clube de Portugal.

·
Registered
405 Posts
LUIS FIGO = 8 million??????????
What a laugh!!!!!!!!!!!
Man U is dreaming again, neither Rivaldo nor Figo will go there.
I don't believe the news, and I doubt that Figo is unhappy at Barcelona. Figo LOVES Barcelona, and I can't imagine a player like Figo or Guardiola, who loves the club so much, says that he wants a transfer.

·
Registered
8,387 Posts
Figo has said that he wants to stay at Barca, but obviously wants to improve his salary. This subject will not be touched until the next election, but all of the candidates to the presidency have stated that their main objective is to give Figo and Rivo the new contracts that they are looking for. So don't get too excited about this news. Figo wants to stay!

·
Registered
119 Posts
I too have read the article and couldn't believe it..I have followed his career and from what every single interview i have read on him..he loves barca and plans to stay there..i hope that Man udt never acquires him ever!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts