Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
17,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think it is lileky that Figo will leave us at the end of the season. It is best for both parties, he lacks his pace and wants a new challenge!

Who should we get though?
Rumour:

Luis Figo has publicly stated his desire for a new challenge and his words have alerted Juventus officials, who are preparing to table a bid for the Portuguese star.

Reports out of Portugal are suggesting that Juventus have begun preliminary negotiations with Real Madrid, and that an agreement between the two clubs could be reached in the very near future.

Juventus are said to be offering £21 million and an unnamed central defender (probably Igor Tudor) for the 31-year-old, who is under contract with Madrid until 2006.

If Madrid accept the offer, it is likely that Figo will be playing for Juventus next season.

"I can't deny that I would like to try something else," he said.

"If I have to change, I would not do so for economic questions but to find a new challenge because I have won everything in Spain," he added.

He wanted to move to the Serie A nine years ago, but contract wrangles prevented the move.

Figo signed a contract with Juventus in 1995 but Parma also claimed to have signed the Portuguese winger after reaching an agreement with his former agent Jose Veiga.

While this contractual dispute was being dealt with by FIFA, Figo signed with Barcelona.

The departure of Edgar Davids will free up some much needed cash to ensure that Juventus can meet Figo's salary demands, once a deal between the two clubs comes to fruition.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
i think we should be confident with our existing players.....except for young defenders.
our young midfielders and forwards are still the most potential like raul and now portillo, even the coming juanfran and others.
i support solari to play for figo!
you still remember how solari brough us the 01-02 champion league title?
that year, solari played the first 11 all the time who most importantly helped us break bayern's shield?
bayern, probably the worst rival in the last 10 years, almost gave us 10 defeats in a row in champion league.
hopefully, solari's introduction credited us with a 2-1 win in the thrilling second leg of semi-finals in bernabeu.

i quite believe in solari!!!

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
i think we should be confident with our existing players.....except for young defenders.
our young midfielders and forwards are still the most potential like raul and now portillo, even the coming juanfran and others.
i support solari to play for figo!
you still remember how solari brough us the 01-02 champion league title?
that year, solari played the first 11 all the time who most importantly helped us break bayern's shield?
bayern, probably the worst rival in the last 10 years, almost gave us 10 defeats in a row in champion league.
hopefully, solari's introduction credited us with a 2-1 win in the thrilling second leg of semi-finals in bernabeu.

i quite believe in solari!!!

·
Banned
23,575 Posts
I think Figo is inreplaceable, him and RC will be the most difficult to replace. With money I think you can easily find a replacement for Zidane/Ronaldo that would perform to the same level, I can say that pretty much about the whole RM even Raul.

But I have not seen a player that would be able to replace Figo and RC yet. Well Figo you could replace with Zanetti, but he is old as hell!

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Liternit said:
I think Figo is inreplaceable, him and RC will be the most difficult to replace. With money I think you can easily find a replacement for Zidane/Ronaldo that would perform to the same level, I can say that pretty much about the whole RM even Raul.

But I have not seen a player that would be able to replace Figo and RC yet. Well Figo you could replace with Zanetti, but he is old as hell!
I agree with you Liternit. Figo and RC are the two that would be the hardest to replace.

The only player right now in Europe who shows similar tenacity, production and skill of Figo is AC Milan's Kaka. He's the only player that I could see even coming close to replacing him.

RC? I don't believe there is a replacement for him at all!

·
Registered
14,528 Posts
IMO the irreplaceable are roberto carlos - who is the best who played in the left back position and is a living legend i dont think there will be anyone to replace him atleast not for now
the other irreplaceable is zidane - how could you replace the best player in the 90's? IMO zidane along with pele and maradona are the all time football legends i have never seen someone play around with the ball like zidane it seems the ball is part of his body

figo is good but he is replaceble and his perfect replacement is probably joaquin

·
Banned
23,575 Posts
Zidane could be replaced by Aimar/Ronaldinho/Nedved/Totti all much more consistent them him. Of course not all of the mentioned have that ability to turn the game around like Zidane has, making that play that will result in the goal, but they play better through out the match and are far more consistant week in week out. Something that would make La Liga easier for RM, but they would miss Zidane on CHL where out of nothing he does that magic play (that goal against Juve on the 2nd leg even though they lost)

But Aimar and Ronaldinho have that quality as well

And Joaquim is far from being a second Figo, its like saying CRonaldo or Quaresma are the next Figo. They could become as good, but right now not even close.

·
Registered
14,528 Posts
aimar - remember his bad form last season? and he doesnt have the qualities of zidane

ronnie - cant help barca into a decent league position

nedved - too old ;)

totti - he "could" replace zidane but still think zizou is better

·
Banned
23,575 Posts
Ronnie is doing his job, before he got injured they were scoring the goals. And the problem with Barça is far from creating plays but scoring, if Barça had good striker or even a descent coach they would be much higher in La Liga.

About Amari bad patch, well what about Zidanes constant bad patches? :howler: He plays a great game or firt half just to be absent in the next match or half

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Liternit said:
Ronnie is doing his job, before he got injured they were scoring the goals. And the problem with Barça is far from creating plays but scoring, if Barça had good striker or even a descent coach they would be much higher in La Liga.

About Amari bad patch, well what about Zidanes constant bad patches? :howler: He plays a great game or firt half just to be absent in the next match or half
I agree with what you say. I can't believe that Zidane gets the praise he gets considering how many 'bad patches' he goes through in a year.

He has a brilliant game, and all of a sudden he's the next coming of Platini. I don't understand it.

·
Banned
23,575 Posts
Nobody is perfect if Zidane had the consistency every game he would probably be the worlds best player. He would be like the 1# of all times

·
Banned
37,734 Posts
Diego would be the perfect man to replace Zidane.

about the substitute for Figo... no need to look anywere..... just look 5 meters down the park and you find Beckham:tongue: ;)

Then just by a good DM very cheap (Renato of Santos) and you continue to have a world class team without spending much. Although your prez does not like to save money, he likes to spend so good luck to him;) This is the cheap alternative and keep 21 milliion in the bank:cool:

·
Banned
23,575 Posts
Ze da Fiel said:
Diego would be the perfect man to replace Zidane.

about the substitute for Figo... no need to look anywere..... just look 5 meters down the park and you find Beckham:tongue: ;)

Then just by a good DM very cheap (Renato of Santos) and you continue to have a world class team without spending much. Although your prez does not like to save money, he likes to spend so good luck to him;) This is the cheap alternative and keep 21 milliion in the bank:cool:
Forgot about Beck :p but he has a different type of game. He will never create the havok Figo creates on the right and he is pretty consistent at doing that. Beckham would offer some great crosses but who would head them in Ronaldo? :D

But you are right, if Figo left there would be Beck but the game style would change. But it sure beats trying to find a player like Figo since there are practicaly 0 with similar style.

And Diego for Zidane, maybe in some years right now it would be a major downgrade.

·
Super Moderator
13,646 Posts
Zambrotta from Juve... Amazing player.

He could actually replace them both Figo and Roberto Carlos. ;)

·
Registered
62 Posts
van said:
Zambrotta from Juve... Amazing player.

He could actually replace them both Figo and Roberto Carlos. ;)
Yes, Zamb is good, but he isn`t in the Figo or RC class. He could do well for RC, but not as good as Roberto.

·
Super Moderator
13,646 Posts
He's not Figo nor Roberto Carlos, but he can play in both their positions.

He's for sure one of the best 3 left fullbacks in the world, and very likely one of the best 5 right wingers.

Figo and R.C. are probably the best out there in their respective role though.

It would be nice to see Madrid buying a player because of his abilities, no matter if he's hyped or not.

Zambrotta is a very low-profile player...
But I don't think it could happen anyway.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
van said:

Zambrotta is a very low-profile player...
But I don't think it could happen anyway.
Zambrotta is tough and Real could definately use someone like him but not to replace the likes of RC or Figo. I think we can all agree on that.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts