Xtratime Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Monday 24th July 2000

Luis Figo became the most expensive player in the world on Monday afternoon when Real Madrid paid £41 million to buy out his contract at Barcelona. The Catalan club's distraught president Joan Gaspart stormed: "I'll get my own back. I will never forget this." Figo passed a medical in Madrid on Monday morning and ended his five-year association with Barcelona at 1445 when an associate turned up at the Spanish football league's Madrid HQ to deposit the record-breaking cheque. The Portuguese winger will sign a six-year deal and be presented in the club's trophy-room at 1700. He will wear the No 10 shirt this season, Real confirmed. New Barcelona supremo Gaspart revealed that he spoke to Figo at 0300 – two hours after his election success – but later admitted it was too late to change his mind, saying: "Once something is done, it is done. "Figo should be brave enough to say that money can buy everything in life," Gaspart added. "It's understandable that a player should want to earn more and more but Figo can't admit it. Real Madrid will have a player who says he loves the colours but he does not." On top of a £2.4 million signing-on fee, Figo will earn the same amount
annually for six years – tax-free. Barcelona captain Josep Guardiola said: "A one-off player is leaving. It will take a while to get used to seeing Figo kitted out in white. "But Figo must have believed that going to Madrid was the best thing for him and his family and I respect that decision," he added. Another former team-mate, Abelardo Fernández, said: I wish him all the luck in the world – but only when he is playing for Portugal." The president of the Luis Figo Barcelona Supporters' Club in Cedillo, Gonzalo Nevado, was furious that his man had become a Real Madrid player. He said: "This is too much for me and is unpardonable in the eyes of God." Nevado added that he was disbanding his club and would throw away all memorabilia relating to the Portuguese maestro. "From this moment on, nobody is allowed to even mention his name. I'm taking down everything related to him," he said.

I share the same feelings about Figo now. He can go to hell.

D

·
0 Posts
It's over guys.....He has gone. Long live the once-loved Luis Figo. He has brought tears of joy before and now much hatred in many people's eyes. If he can do this to Barca, he can also does it to Madrid. Money pays.....as some people might say it. Now I do have some believe in the power of money. Cheer up, we lost Romario to Flamengo, Stoichkov to Parma and Ronaldo to Inter but we managed to remain as the best team in the world. Just take my word, we'll be even better after this....

·
Registered
10,150 Posts
This is disgusting. :mad:

Watching Luis Figo smiling into the camera with a Real #10-jersey.
Like Gaspart said: "I will not forget that."
This guy betrayed everyone of us. :mad:

Yeah, CM, he can go to hell. And I´m afraid he already signed there a six year deal. :(

T

·
0 Posts
Real Madrid today announced a sensational world record signing of a totally unknown 27-year-old portuguese, named Judas. Anyone heard of him before? They said he played in Barca before, but I can´t remember. Strange, because I have loved that team for many years.

But the fact he did the move just makes me wanna say; I HATE HIM, GO TO HELL, HOPE YOU NEVER SCORE A GOAL AGAIN IN YOUR LIFE ETC.

·
Registered
10,150 Posts
27-year old portugese named Judas?
hm...let me think...
isn´t he the same guy that said the following things some days ago:

"I have made an irrevocable decision: I will not be a Real Madrid player.....If any of the fans have felt upset or disappointed about what has happened I would like them to forgive me, but they should only believe what I say.....I want to reassure fans that Luis Figo, with all the certainty in the world, will be at the Nou Camp on July 24 to start the season."
:mad:

Normally, I´d say Figo should burn in hell, but I know he has to suffer much more anyway: He must play for Real Madrid!

I

·
0 Posts
He just proved how cheap he is. How can you say you love a city and club then sign a pre-contract that you cant get out of.
I am an inter fan but have been following this story for a while. even though I am more of a madrid fan than barca, it still disgusts me what Perez and Figo did to you guys. Barca have always been a class organization and dont deserve this. I hope you guys win la premiera next year and prove you dont need a money hungry bastar* like him.

Good luck

·
Registered
271 Posts
Thankfully it may not be as big a blow as it would have been this time last season.
In Ferrer's system there seems to be no place for a winger like Figo anyway, so either he or Rivaldo would have to occupy the support role.
So, as long as Rivaldo stays we're not in too big trouble.
I admit that, of the pair, I would have sacrificed Rivaldo, but if he can show the form we all know he is capable of then we still have a great team.
Perhaps the most worrying part of this whole deal is that our inspiration will now play for our main rivals. If he went to Inter or Lazio then we would hardly ever meet him, but every week from now on he can damage our title chances.
I just hope that he has a conscience and will never allow himself to take the title away from the great club who loved him for 5 years.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Figo was my favorite player and most respectable before the movement, but because he lied to his fans and assurred to them that he'll not leave the club.
As Pep said he is respect his decision, I pray to be his worst decision in his life and to regret for that.
Good luck for our new president , Ferre and for BARCA who doesn't depend on one player.

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
MMmm.....
I just remember Portugal has to play against Holland for WC2002-qualifying.... So I think I'll have my chance to spit on him afterall ;)

·
Registered
8,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I used to think that Rivaldo was the more unprofessional, greedy player of the two. But now i have to say that Figo is worst. Rivaldo refused to negotiate during the election process because he didnt want his name and situation used as an election tool. FAGO did the exact opposite. He is a bastard. I hope he brakes both legs. That can make up for our broken hearts.

·
Registered
8,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Apparently, one of Figo's penyas is changing their name from Penya Figo to Penya 10.000 millones, which was the transfer fee in pesetas. Funny and at the same time very sad! I have friends who were in these Penya's that will no longer exist.

D

·
0 Posts
I think I'm not the only one who thinks it's outragoues at how quick these transfer records are getting smashed. :eek:

It's afterall about the best players in the world who play the biggest game in the world :)

J

·
0 Posts
Well, when Figo and Real visit the Nou Camp next year, oh what a reception he will get. (And I don't imagine it's the kind of reception he wants.) Then you'll have your chance to spit on him all you want.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts