Xtratime Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10,150 Posts
Yeah, I read the same on http://www.zoomsoccer.com:

------------------------------------------------------------
By Reuters, 2000-07-09

BARCELONA, July 9 (Reuters) - Luis Figo sent a message of calm to worried Barcelona fans on Sunday, finally denying reports that he had signed a pre-contract agreement to join arch-rivals Real Madrid.

Spanish soccer was rocked last week when rumours began to spread that the Portuguese international had signed a deal with Real Madrid presidential candidate Florentino Perez.

For several days, Figo refused to make any comment on the matter, leading the Spanish media to start talking of the deal as a fait accompli.

But in a lengthy interview with Barcelona-based Sport newspaper on Sunday, Figo emphatically denied the story, although he confirmed that he had had offers from Perez and other clubs including Lazio.

"I want to reassure fans that Luis Figo, with all the certainty in the world, will be at the Nou Camp on July 24 to start the season," he said.

"And I want to remind people that whatever is said about other clubs, Luis Figo has a contract with Barcelona."

When asked about the existence of a signed pre-contract agreement he said: "I'm not mad enough to do something like that."

Figo's status as one of the best players in the world was enhanced by his superb performances in Euro 2000, when Portugal were unfortunate to lose in the semifinals.

The player blamed the current situation on the refusal of president Josep Lluis Nunez -- who will step down later in July when a new president is elected -- to negotiate over an improved contract.

"It's not my fault that other clubs are interested in me," he said.

"The first thing we did when we received these offers was to inform Nunez of them.

"They were offers that as a father and a human being and a professional footballer I had to take into account thinking about my future.

"Nunez always refused to talk about my contract. I never asked for what they're offering to pay me elsewhere, only that we should talk. Nunez knew that I was prepared to sign for less."

He added: "I've enjoyed my time at Barcelona and my desire has always been to remain here. There's nowhere else like Barcelona."
------------------------------------------------------------

There´s nowhere else like Barcelona!!! :D

·
Registered
405 Posts
GREAT NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't understand why the election takes place in late July. When other clubs are signing players, we are doing NOTHING, and our players are chased by other clubs. When other clubs are ready, we're still finding new coach and players. I hope we won't perform bad in the beginning of the next season because of this.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
if figo wanted to leave the team for a a better offfer i dont blame him, its his right as a professional to choose the best offer he can get!! but i am glad that he is staying with el barsa anyway!!

·
Registered
8,387 Posts
I read in Mundo Deporivo that if he doesn't go to Madrid, he may still go to Lazio in a deal involving Salas, Stankovic + cash. If that deal can't work out, Cragnotti may do a Figo for Veron trade.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Of course Figo rules el e Portugues!!!Well I hear now that Figo is leaving!!! What's going on!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts