Xtratime Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cousin told me today that his dad was watching portuguese news and said that Figo does not want to play for the national team anymore because of the fans and they way they were treated when they got back home. I hope that he is not considering this because it would be a huge blow to are team and I think Figo is the best. I think it was more words of anger then anything else.

·
Registered
14,658 Posts
kijj said:
My cousin told me today that his dad was watching portuguese news and said that Figo does not want to play for the national team anymore because of the fans and they way they were treated when they got back home. I hope that he is not considering this because it would be a huge blow to are team and I think Figo is the best. I think it was more words of anger then anything else.
He shouldn't be quitting for that. He should be quitting because he plays with jack:ass:'s like Pinto, Couto, Costa, and Beto!

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
**** he should be happy we weren't saying anything about him when he got back. He played really ****ty, but we let him get away with it because he was out for a period of time. Our defense excluding Baia podem ir por caralho.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Well he is probably pissed cuz of the way the team was handled. One of his best freinds in Rui Costa sat the entire korea game for reasons unknown. He will never play for oliveria again along with most of the other players. Our defense did suck but Couto did all he could. Costa and beto are gone. Time for Andrade. Baia is crap. Ricardo should of been there from the beginning. We need a foreign coach. Korea's coach wouldnt be bad. Any one but that traitor oliveria. Figo will end his career at Euro 2004. its on his home soil and it would be a story book ending. This is not how he will go out. Hes too good for this sh*t.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Well if he doesnt want to play , so be it.
We may be poorer for it - but for the ggod of the team its best if we dont have some one who doesnt want to be there. Anyway after his WC efforts , he's not even guarenteed a spot in the team.

·
Registered
549 Posts
my thoughts exactly, with the way he played at this wc, we might not even need him. i hope its all due to his injuriies, outherwise hes completely past his prime

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Ah who can blame him?

The guy put everything into it, was obviously playing hurt, and was still at least equal to anybody else on our side, and this is the kind of stuff he has to read and hear when he gets back?

What reason does HE have to play on the NT except for patriotic pride? His track record up to now has been excellent, he's quite obviously set for life money-wise. I'll admire the guy no matter what he decides.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Tinto said:
Ah who can blame him?

The guy put everything into it, was obviously playing hurt, and was still at least equal to anybody else on our side, and this is the kind of stuff he has to read and hear when he gets back?

What reason does HE have to play on the NT except for patriotic pride? His track record up to now has been excellent, he's quite obviously set for life money-wise. I'll admire the guy no matter what he decides.
He shouldnt read papers if he doesnt like what they have to say. You have to take the good with bad. Figo on song is the #1 in the world, but right now in this point in time he is back with the rest of the playing field & he seems to be upset with it. Instead of him whingeing why doesnt he go out & do what made him #1 , ignore the press ( cause 90% of them are arseholes & troublemakers ) & more importantly be quiet !! Actions speak louder than words !!

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
We tend to forget, as fans, that no one wanted to win more than the players. Thus, we forget that no matter how hard we took the loss, it isn't even in the same league of disapointment the players must have felt.

They deserve some criticism, but they don't deserve the insults.

Ditto goes for Oliveira, who, despite his incompetence, isn't at fault for being hired.

The brunt of all criticism will now go squarely to the FPF for showing the the bottom line isn't the interest of our footballing nation, but one filled with an array of personal interest$.

Having said all that - Figo is a big boy, he should have the mental fortitude to handle the natural and expected by now.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Pila, I've said as much about the players, but I disagree about Oliveira not deserving insults. There's a line between acceptable and unacceptable degrees of incompetence. He raced across it going the wrong way, so he's fair game in my books. ;)

·
Registered
549 Posts
yes, Figo was hampered with injury, but there were things he did at this WC during games that had nothing to do with it. ex: running constantly with the ball against 1 or 2 defenders instead of just releasing it. he knows hes hurt, so he shouldnt have forced things like that unless if he sees an opening. now if hes going to go out and say things like not wanting to play for the NT, then please, leave now, because the last thing anyone wants is a player on the team who doesnt want to be there. Figo was/is an amazing player, but the team as a whole was a dissapointment as a whole, regardless of referee/media/coaching etc...
i hope that Figo will recover, and go back to playing the way he did in Euro 2000 for at least these last few years of his career.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Oliveira might deserve alot of things, getting fired, getting a new :ass: hole from the media, but what happened at the airport was wrong, dead wrong. No one and his family deserve that kind of treatment, he tried he failed, football is special to me, but there is things that come first like family, and him and the rest of the team were away from their families for almost a month, think about that one

·
Premier Player
2,656 Posts
Tinto said:
Pila, I've said as much about the players, but I disagree about Oliveira not deserving insults. There's a line between acceptable and unacceptable degrees of incompetence. He raced across it going the wrong way, so he's fair game in my books. ;)
Just as there is a fine line between acccetable and unacceptable forms of critque.

Driving to the airport to the airport to yell at him is a bit much (But expected).

Getting into a fight with his son is over the top.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Antonio Oliveira

Word has it at 19.00 Lisbon time he will be holding a press conferance & confirm what the Portuguese publc have been calling for. I cant think of any other reason why he is doing this.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts