Xtratime Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Euro 2000-Portugal score 11 in training match

ERMELO, Netherlands, June 8 (Reuters)(DS) - Portugal warmed up for their Euro 2000 opener against England by hammering 11 goals
past a local Dutch third division side on Thursday.

Barcelona winger Luis Figo and Benfica striker Nuno Gomes helped themselves to hat-tricks in the 11-0 rout of DVS 33
Ermelo. The other goals came from Paulo Bento, Rui Costa, Pauleta, Joao Pinto und Dimas.

The one sour note was the absence of experienced midfielder Paulo Sousa, who has a thigh injury and could be doubtful for
the match against England on Monday.
Portugal also face Germany and Romania in group A.

I know scoring 11 against a 3rd division team isn't a big deal, but 3 goals has got to help Nuno Gomes' confidence right before the biggest game of his young career on Monday versus England. Also, Joao Pinto must not be too affected by his dismissal - he played good against Wales (right after he got the news) and he scored again today.

England's going down, baby...

Forca Portugal!

·
International
5,629 Posts
I feel you!....England is going to get bitten!

Viva Portugal!

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Please, RedEagle - I'm married now :)

(I'm assuming you meant "I hear you")

·
XT Oldie
8,397 Posts
You guys are not nervous at all?

christ I am sh-i-tting bricks here.

------------------
FOREVER PORTO!
FOREVER THE NORTH!
SEMPRE PORTUGAL!

http://www.fcporto-online.com

·
International
5,629 Posts
Sorry Razor, didn't mean to tempt you. :)
Figure of speech ya know...

Marco, why ya nervous??

Accept the fact that Razor is married and go on! :)

Portugal will do well...bet on it!

I did! of course those bastards only gave me 22-1 and not the 32-1 that the Aussies were giving.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
England doesn't make me nervous at all.

Facing Romania without a healthy Paulo Sousa does though...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Marcoa,

I also share your nervousness in regards to England. Rememner they have owen and shearer! And Baia looks scary, very inconsistent! We have Nuno gomes, who can only score in friendlies!!!!

Romania, however, worries me very little.
And Germany is always a threat.

I guess I still have that 3-0 loss to England lagging in the back of my mind!!!

IF WE CONVERT OUR CHANCES, WE ARE GOING ALL THE WAY!!!!!!
All in all

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Marco im not only ****ting myself but my hands tremble everytime i think about the game.
I mean the stick i'll get if we lose will be unbearable..... and to think ive got 4 exams between the 12th and 13th june....Great, just to boost my confidence!!!
But the england game apart its great to see us get 11 goals even if they are crap.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Well i'm sort of nervous but i reackon that portugal will draw... Lets hope that nuno gomes scores a few goals if he plays!!

VIVA O BENFICA
VIVA O GLORIOSO

D

·
0 Posts
It's alright for you guys - I am surounded by England fans here - I have people hhanging England flags from there windows already and I'm not sure if I should put my Portuguese Flag up! I'm worried the kids will throw stones at it!!! Help!!

If we win, I will drive around hooting me horn and waving da flag up and down St.Albans!!!! Yayyyaaayayayay!

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I went down to London yesterday with my Portugal shirt on (yes stupid I know), I got sworn at by 6 different people and the other one who was pissed out of his head said he would come looking for me if Portugal won!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts