Xtratime Community banner
41 - 60 of 63 Posts
Should get Simeone...someone who knows how to get the best out of limited resources.

He selected Biraghi and Lazzari and Criscito to play a 4-3-3. It's laughable. There would be more quality on the pitch if he went with a 3-5-2, or any other formation without fullbacks. We have zero quality in the position, with the possible exception of Palmieri.

I don't think it's a matter of numbers but simply a matter of getting the best out of the players, the way Firdaus suggests. The quality is not extraordinary but I disagree with camelface, Conte had Giaccherinho in his starting lineup and yet Giac did the job.

I don't think so, I think that squad was the weakest in recent memory.

I have never rated Mancini as a coach but I thought his enthusiasm for the job and an improvement in the talent available would enable him to have some success. I still have hope even if the early signs are discouraging.

I don't think it's a matter of numbers but simply a matter of getting the best out of the players, the way Firdaus suggests. The quality is not extraordinary but I disagree with camelface, Conte had Giaccherinho in his starting lineup and yet Giac did the job.
Giaccherini was good even under Prandelli. He was a gamer, one of my favs in this past generation.

I don't think so, I think that squad was the weakest in recent memory.

I have never rated Mancini as a coach but I thought his enthusiasm for the job and an improvement in the talent available would enable him to have some success. I still have hope even if the early signs are discouraging.
That squad had an old Buffon, younger chiellini, younger Bonucci, de rossi, parolo (nothing special but better than the current crap), same for candreva.

I think you are right, but it also has to be acknowledged that he is in a difficult situation with the lack of talent in this team. Even conte had a way better group of players available for euro 2016.
He didn't. Just a better defense.

Conte took a midfield of Sturaro-Parolo-Giaccherini and an attack of Pelle-Eder to PKs with Germany. Not this year's version of Germany but a good Germany.

Current lack of talent was already known. It's not a new discovery, neither is Mancini's appt being an underwhelming one (yes, there were better options even with the big names not being interested). Good administrators and managers are needed, Mancini is one and can set up a defense, that's about it.

Only thing worth pointing out are some odd call ups and selections. But the idea of testing things now is correct, and too much is being said about these two games. But the average fan is hardly ever spot on with praises/complaints anyway. Most fans thought Conte was doing a poor job before the Euro and now want him back.

I would still think conte had a better group of players. Maybe saying "way better" was exaggerated but still better.

I'm not defending Mancini, just acknowledging his situation right now. How would you field a 3-5-2 with the players available?

I wouldn't play 352. Current pool of players is made for 433. You have half decent wingers, no decent SS, and no Barzagli.
You could argue conte went for tactics over fielding the supposed best players. Many were against his fielding Eder for example.

Likewise, Mancini might have to choose tactics over players, cuz this crop is garbage. Our midfield can't support a 4-3-3, and our wingers cannot compensate either. I struggle to find a good formation really.

We have no defensive midfielders, attacking midfielders. All we have are bland mids with mediocre wingers and mediocre strikers, not to mention the full backs.

You could argue conte went for tactics over fielding the supposed best players. Many were against his fielding Eder for example.

Likewise, Mancini might have to choose tactics over players, cuz this crop is garbage. Our midfield can't support a 4-3-3, and our wingers cannot compensate either. I struggle to find a good formation really.

We have no defensive midfielders, attacking midfielders. All we have are bland mids with mediocre wingers and mediocre strikers, not to mention the full backs.
352 was the best formation for Conte's Italy. The Juve back-3 + GK was its core strength, and it was built from there as it should've been.

If 3 CMs can't support a team, 2 certainly can't.

After the CBs, the wingers are some of Italy's better players even though none of them are top players currently.

Giaccherini was good even under Prandelli. He was a gamer, one of my favs in this past generation.

He warmed the bench at Juventus, Sunderland and Napoli. He is a utility player, nothing more than that. Conte managed to get the very best out of him both for Juventus and the Italian NT. Sarri ignored him almost completely instead.

He warmed the bench at Juventus, Sunderland and Napoli. He is a utility player, nothing more than that. Conte managed to get the very best out of him both for Juventus and the Italian NT. Sarri ignored him almost completely instead.
Yes but conte was not a miracle worker with him necessarily. Giaccherini didn't feature much at Juve either but he performed on the NT regardless of his club situation or his manager, since he was first used to effect by Prandelli if I recall. By the time sarri took over, giach was older.

352 was the best formation for Conte's Italy. The Juve back-3 + GK was its core strength, and it was built from there as it should've been.

If 3 CMs can't support a team, 2 certainly can't.

After the CBs, the wingers are some of Italy's better players even though none of them are top players currently.
Not sure what you're saying but anyway, my point is that if Italy tries to use it's player strengths against world opposition, it will get destroyed easily.

Mancini should try more defensive lineups even if that means sacrificing some of his wingers.

Thankfully, we have some good managers in the league who are trying different systems and players in different positions. Yesterday insigne apparently played in a front two and judging by the highlights he looked quite effective. Could he be this generation's Di Natale?

Using a 442 that would hopefully squeeze the midfield/morph into diamond or other fornations, we can maybe try:

Insigne Balotelli/Bellotti/cutrone

Bonaventura Verratti/jorginho someone chiesa

I wouldn't play 352. Current pool of players is made for 433. You have half decent wingers, no decent SS, and no Barzagli.

Likewise, Mancini might have to choose tactics over players, cuz this crop is garbage. Our midfield can't support a 4-3-3, and our wingers cannot compensate either. <b>I struggle to find a good formation really. </b>

The only formation that makes sense to me is 4-3-2-1 that becomes 4-5-1 on defensive or with a lead. It would have a line up of Donnarumma; Spinazzola, Bonucci, Romagnoli, Darmian/Florenzi; Benassi, Barella, Pellegrini; Bernardeschi, Chiesa; Belotti. Eventually I would like the formation to look like Donnarumma; Spinazzola, Caldara, Romagnoli, Calabria; Benassi, Barella, Mandragora; Bernardeschi, Chiesa; Belotti. The importance here are again the midfield, the two wingers/supporting striker, and the targetman. The midfielders need to be able to play both sides, especially defensive, of the ball. The wingers also need to be able to track back and defend; imagine how Bernardeschi role was in the first year of Sousa. And the targetman need to be good at crosses as well as holding the ball up.

The only formation that makes sense to me is 4-3-2-1 that becomes 4-5-1 on defensive or with a lead. It would have a line up of Donnarumma; Spinazzola, Bonucci, Romagnoli, Darmian/Florenzi; Benassi, Barella, Pellegrini; Bernardeschi, Chiesa; Belotti. Eventually I would like the formation to look like Donnarumma; Spinazzola, Caldara, Romagnoli, Calabria; Benassi, Barella, Mandragora; Bernardeschi, Chiesa; Belotti. The importance here are again the midfield, the two wingers/supporting striker, and the targetman. The midfielders need to be able to play both sides, especially defensive, of the ball. The wingers also need to be able to track back and defend; imagine how Bernardeschi role was in the first year of Sousa. And the targetman need to be good at crosses as well as holding the ball up.
Looks a lot like a u-21 team

41 - 60 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.