Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 626 Posts

·
The one who was Bella
20,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will be held in Mexico starting from June 18th, ending in July 10th.

Qualifying teams are :

AFC
Australia (AUS)
Japan (JPN)
Korea DPR (PRK)
Uzbekistan (UZB)

CAF
Burkina Faso (BFA)
Congo (CGO)
Côte d'Ivoire (CIV)
Rwanda (RWA)

UEFA
Czech Republic (CZE)
Denmark (DEN)
England (ENG)
France (FRA)
Germany (GER)
Netherlands (NED)

CONCACAF
Canada (CAN)
Jamaica (JAM)
Panama (PAN)
USA (USA)

OFC
New Zealand (NZL)

CONMEBOL
Argentina (ARG)
Brazil (BRA)
Ecuador (ECU)
Uruguay (URU)

And obviously host nation : Mexico, making it a grand total of 24 nations.

The winners and runners-up from each group, as well as the best four third-placed teams, will qualify for the first round of the knockout stage (round of 16).

Groups draw will be held today, feel free to post official team sqauds once they're released.

Wikipedia page - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_FIFA_U-17_World_Cup

Official page - http://www.fifa.com/u17worldcup/index.html

·
The one who was Bella
20,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Btw - a very nice video about some of the past star players in previous tournements, I really loved it, you should check it out.

http://www.fifa.com/u17worldcup/video/video=1316265/index.html

Brazil official squad :

Goalkeepers : Matheus (Atlético-PR), Charles (Cruzeiro) Jaccson (Internacional).

Fullbacks : Claudio Winck (Internacional), Wallace (Fluminense), Jonathan (Grêmio) Emerson (Santos).

Centerbacks : Matheus (Grêmio), Josué (Vitória), Marquinhos (Corinthians) Ygor (Fluminense).

Midfielders : Misael (Grêmio), Maycon (Atlético-PR), Hernani (Atlético-PR), Lucas (Internacional), Marlon Bica (Internacional), Guilherme (Vasco), Bruno Sabiá (Palmeiras), Leo Citadini (Guarani) Adryan (Flamengo).

Strikers : Lucas Piazon (São Paulo), Ademilson (São Paulo), Pedro Paulo (Cruzeiro), Léo (Cruzeiro) Nathan (Internacional).

Some changes from the group that won the U-17 South American championships mainly in the midfield and strikers positions - with the highlight being Andrigo who was a real let-down being dropped.

Players to watch : Adryan(AM), Lucas Piazon(FW), Guilherme(AM).

·
The one who was Bella
20,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I only saw the European and South America championships - but i'd have to say according to those, they are the favorites in my book.

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
The groups:

Group A:
Mexico
North Korea
Congo
Holland

Group B:
Japan
Jamaica
France
Argentina

Group C:
Uruguay
Canada
Rwanda
England

Group D:
USA
Czech Republic
Uzbekistan
New Zealand

Group E:
Burkina Faso
Panama
Germany
Ecuador

Group F:
Australia
Ivory Coast
Brazil
Denmark

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
FIFA U-17 World Cup - Mexico 2011

FIFA U-17 WORLD CUP
MEXICO 2011

18 June - 10 July 2011

Link to All Squads Lists: http://www.fifa.com/u17worldcup/teams/index.html

Group A

18 June 22 CET - Morelia
MEXICO 3-1 NORTH KOREA

19 June 01 CET - Morelia
CONGO 1-0 NETHERLANDS

1 Mexico ............1G 1W 0D 0L 3-1 3P
2 Congo ............1G 1W 0D 0L 1-0 3P
3 Netherlands ....1G 0W 0D 1L 0-1 0P
4 North Korea ...1G 0W 0D 1L 1-3 0P

Group B

18 June 22 CET - Monterrey
FRANCE 3-0 ARGENTINA

19 June 01 CET - Monterrey
JAPAN 1-0 JAMAICA

1 France ............1G 1W 0D 0L 3-0 3P
2 Japan ............1G 1W 0D 0L 1-0 3P
3 Jamaica ........1G 0W 0D 1L 0-1 0P
4 Argentina ....1G 0W 0D 1L 0-3 0P

Group C

19 June 22 CET - Pachuca
RWANDA 0-2 ENGLAND

20 June 01 CET - Pachuca
URUGUAY 3-0 CANADA

1 Uruguay ............1G 1W 0D 0L 3-0 3P
2 England ............1G 1W 0D 0L 2-0 3P
3 Rwanda ...........1G 0W 0D 1L 0-2 0P
4 Canada ..........1G 0W 0D 1L 0-3 0P

Group D

19 June 22 CET - Torreón
UZBEKISTAN 1-4 NEW ZEALAND

20 June 01 CET - Torreón
USA 3-0 CZECH REPUBLIC

1 New Zealand ............1G 1W 0D 0L 4-1 3P
2 USA ......................1G 1W 0D 0L 3-0 3P
3 Uzbekistan ............1G 0W 0D 1L 1-4 0P
4 Czech Republic......1G 0W 0D 1L 0-3 0P

Group E

20 June 22 CET - Queretaro
GERMANY 6-1 ECUADOR

21 June 01 CET - Queretaro
BURKINA FASO 0-1 PANAMA

1 Germany ............1G 1W 0D 0L 6-1 3P
2 Panama ............1G 1W 0D 0L 1-0 3P
3 Burkina Faso ....1G 0W 0D 1L 0-1 0P
4 Ecuador .........1G 0W 0D 1L 1-6 0P

Group F

20 June 22 CET - Queretaro
BRAZIL 3-0 DENMARK

21 June 01 CET - Queretaro
AUSTRALIA 2-1 IVORY COAST

1 Brazil ..................1G 1W 0D 0L 3-0 3P
2 Australia ............1G 1W 0D 0L 2-1 3P
3 Ivory Coast ......1G 0W 0D 1L 1-2 0P
4 Denmark .........1G 0W 0D 1L 0-3 0P

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
Wouldn't say this is Englands best crop of U17's, we shall see though, thats what these tournaments are for.

Player I am most hopeful of is Nick Powell. Sterling gets all the attention but hasn't really produced with England. Chalobah is another name to watch out for, great player, odd mistake in him though. Hallam Hope is another one.

At least Peacock has us play football, should be promoted to head up youth development. Instead we get fecking Gareth Southgate. Deary me, sums the FA up.

·
The one who was Bella
20,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd say in that side atleast according to the European championship Hallam Hope is def the player to watch for.. without him England had nothing to look for a month orso ago.

I liked Redmond in the times he played and he showed quality and some great on the ball skills, something England were craving for especiely with Sterling who got injured in the first 10 minutes of the first game.. but he probably has some personality issues or smth cause he got benched for most of the tourny.

Chabolah was pretty dissapointing compared to last year, and it'll be interesting to see how he adjusts in this tournement.

Nick Powell is that midfielder right? iirc he looked pretty tidy and moved the ball well, and was pretty solid compared to the rest - but still is not a player that can make stuff happen on his own, and thats what England are missing.. with Redmond and Sterling they might get just that.

·
Registered
58,949 Posts
Can't wait to see more of our players get stolen.

Ake to Chelsea, Rekik to Man City and Ebecilio already to Arsenal.

The joys of modern football.

You won't hear the end of it if Feyenoord u17 win though :stuckup: (doubt it though in the Mexican heat)

·
The one who was Bella
20,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wally, whos that Man United guy in your squad? was there changes made of any key players? I can see all the top guns there, but theres some new names I see.

Anyways - looking at Argentina, no Andrade, no Paredes, it seems like this is Ocampos and Brian Ferreira's team - that is ofcourse from the players I know.. Nindra - same question - from the new list of names, is there any key player that came back and was not on the Sudamericano? sadly for them, the entire crappy defence is still there :howler:

In Germany I see they got Sami Khedira's brother, and glad to see Levent Aycicek is healthy and in the squad.. with him in the starting lineup Germany might have went all the way in the European tournement.

·
The one who was Bella
20,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Failed to qualify to the European U-17 after a loss in a decisive game to England @ home, thus failed to make the WC too.

Zoric can fill in the more indepth details tho... probably have a bad generation in that age group which is a shame cause Gerard Deulofeu is one of the best 17 year olds in the world.

·
Registered
44,343 Posts
Where is Spain?
They usually have a great U17 team... anyone know what happened?
Spain lost to England in the Elite Round, didn't even reach the U17 Euros in Serbia earlier in May. England were actually superior in terms of technical ability, yeah, I know, it sound incredibly strange but that was the case with the 1994-generation during that tournament in Belgium. There are still some solid players from that Spain-team though, just couldn't materialize.

I can't wait to see the teams from Asia, Oceania and Africa in this tournament, already familiar with the European and South American so far.

Btw, I saw that Rwanda have a player from Arsenal.

·
Registered
44,343 Posts
In Germany I see they got Sami Khedira's brother, and glad to see Levent Aycicek is healthy and in the squad.. with him in the starting lineup Germany might have went all the way in the European tournement.
Rani :D Yeah, he played a few games for the Germans but didn't make the team for the Euros. He played one of his NT-games with the U17's when Serbia beat Germany with 1-0 in a friendly just prior to the main tournament, of course, the team wasn't coached by Milovan Đorić who then screwed us over in the Euros :(

·
The one who was Bella
20,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Btw, I saw that Rwanda have a player from Arsenal.
Yea and he's 15 years old.. one of the youngest in the tournement.

Shame Nigeria didn't qualify, in those age groups it's kind of a shock seeing how succsesfull they are.

African teams though normally reach the later stages, so indeed it'll be interesting to see how they do.

·
The one who was Bella
20,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Rani :D Yeah, he played a few games for the Germans but didn't make the team for the Euros. He played one of his NT-games with the U17's when Serbia beat Germany with 1-0 in a friendly just prior to the main tournament, of course, the team wasn't coached by Milovan Đorić who then screwed us over in the Euros :(
Is he any good? if he plays like his brother then he got no chance of playing with Emre Can tho :D

·
Registered
44,343 Posts
Yea and he's 15 years old.. one of the youngest in the tournement.

Shame Nigeria didn't qualify, in those age groups it's kind of a shock seeing how succsesfull they are.

African teams though normally reach the later stages, so indeed it'll be interesting to see how they do.
African teams use overaged players, so no wonder that they end up reaching the semifinals and finals everytime they compete. We all know it and that's with all due respect to these countries.

Is he any good? if he plays like his brother then he got no chance of playing with Emre Can tho :D
I haven't got the slightest of clues, never watched him play.

·
Banned
5,801 Posts
Opening games tomorrow:

Group A - Mexico vs North Korea, Congo vs Netherlands
Group B - France vs Argentina, Japan vs Jamaica

Ugh, why do all these games have to be crumpled up and coincide with the Gold Cup and U21 Euros? :D

Hope to see some great talents in this tourney.

1 - 20 of 626 Posts