Xtratime Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
International
8,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think we'd all agree that the fifa rankings are a load of crap. They don't count for anything and they don't seem to have too much logic.

Croatia jumped from 10th to 7th last month. I'm glad to see that, but I don't see how. We tied Germany and Spain and beat Austria. Whooopdeeedoooo :D :D

I don't think that merits a jump like that.

On the flipside of this, when there was the draw for WC qualifying, FIFA ranked us 21rst among European nations for the draw.

We didn't have a good year, didn't qualify for EURO, but it wasn't that bad of a year. We finished third at last world cup, and were ranked 6th at the time of the draw by fifa's own rankings.

This goes to show that their own rankings mean sh*t. I just question how a team like Austria who gets throttled 9-0 by Spain and 5-0 by Israel of all teams, manages to be ranked ahead of us. Russia, Ukraine and other teams are ranked ahead of us, even though they didn't qualify for either the previous WC or EURO 2000.

Sorry for complaining, but I think FIFA is a load of crap and I want to see them go.

·
Premium Member
27,245 Posts
Does anybody know how they get those rankings...???
I for one am sure they don't make sense, the only one I'd agree with is Brazil being first and maybe a couple of others, but the rest... :(

·
Registered
6,790 Posts
They have a detailed expalination on their site, it's very long and boring to go into though. Basically, they count whether the game is home/away, friendly/qualifer/other, goals for, etc, etc...

It's a very sketchy ranking they have.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Heh, don't look at such rankings, it has nothing to deal with the actual power of the teams because goals are not always judjing, I think they are very rarely a sign of the team's class.

M

·
0 Posts
And who did the Czech players have to blow to be ranked No.2 in the world and in top 5 for the last two years.

All in all, this list has been a sad attempt to "make the sport more accessible" to the casual fans. But I don't think even they take it seriously.

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
there some truth to the ranking....argentina is 5th..hehe well, i hope they will take over 4th next month ;)

too bad romania fell to 10th....damn croatia jumped 3 places..how did that happen?

·
Registered
234 Posts
it is a lot to do with the friendlies you play so if Israel beat Austria 5-0 then that would boost them up considerably. Yeah i know it is bull**** , if it was really inline i definately think Argentina would be number one right now , they are in great form. In fact i will go one step further and say Argentina are most likely to win the next world cup, their talent is endless and i would prefer it to Brazils!

[This message has been edited by Nick54 (edited 12-05-2000).]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts