Xtratime Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FIFA limit friendly substiutions

Football's rule-makers today set a limit of six substitutes as a maximum in international friendlies.

The limit was forced through at a meeting of the International Football Association Board despite strong opposition from the English FA and England head coach Sven-Goran Eriksson.

FIFA had originally wanted to impose a maximum of five substitutes but agreed to compromise at the meeting in London today.

The rule change will be formally announced later today along with several other changes by the game's rule-making body.

Sven-Goran Eriksson and the Football Association had faced an uphill struggle in their attempt to persuade FIFA to drop the change after the Irish Football Association indicated they would back the proposal from FIFA president Sepp Blatter.

Irish FA chairman Jim Boyce said Thursday: 'I personally believe that there should not be more than five substitutes, otherwise it is a total farce with people running on and off the pitch all the time.

'People pay good money to watch friendlies and if you have a situation with numerous substitutes it completely devalues the game.

'I have said this for many years but I will listen to the discussions tomorrow and see what comes out of that.'

Eriksson, who has changed his entire team during friendlies in the past, had contacted several other international coaches including Italy's Giovanni Trapattoni and France's Jacques Santini to enlist their support.

Each home nation has a voting place on the IFAB with FIFA also having four votes. Any rule change needs at least six of the eight votes to become law.

With Boyce expected to side with FIFA on the substitutes issue, it meant if either the Scottish or the Welsh representative - who are both understood to be waiting to hear the arguments before deciding - agreed on a limit then a rule change would go through.

Eriksson, whose decision to make 11 substitutions against Australia last year first drew Blatter's attention to the issue, has made his feelings clear to the FIFA president in a telephone conversation recently.

FIFA's submission to the IFAB said: 'The practice of making large numbers of substitutions in friendly matches devalues the game and creates a farcical situation. The number of substitutes used in friendly matches must be controlled.'
What do you think about this decision?

I'm happy that the friendly games wont be ruined by substitutions in the future.
I can't see how substituting the whole team can be helpful to a coach. 6 substituions should be enough to try out new players.

·
Registered
18,438 Posts
Its a very good decision....but i still think 6 is too many!

Friendly games has lately lost its prestige with all the substitutions and if i had been the boss i would have limited to 3 or 4 subs.

As the Irish said.....people pay good money to watch these games....so its not right to destroy the games with numerous subs. Just like Günes did the other day...

·
*the drum drum*
42,569 Posts
Ah come on..

Friendly games aren't for the fans, their for the coaches to try players at international level (minus the pressure)..

3 changes is the limit in a normal game, so I'd say 5-6 is perfect for a friendly..

They should restrict squad size to 18 players too.
There's no use taking another 5 players who won't be playing anyway.. :rollani:

·
Registered
18,438 Posts
I disagree....Friendlies are for the fans cause normally you wont be able to play countries from other continents without friendlies.

The purpose of a friendly wasnt created for the coaches to try out players....this is a pure sideaffect.

Friendlies were supposed to get countries closer, hence friendly. But im not against it being used for trying new players but it has to be limited.

I mean how many competitive games with the NT can we watch every year if its not a championship year...?

·
*the drum drum*
42,569 Posts
So Australia went to play Venezuela in South America for the fans, and not for preparation for a WC Qualifier that they'll play in a years time?

Or Turkey played Ireland for the fans, and not to prepare against a team with a similar style to England before that game?

It's not for the fans.. The fans don't even turn out for these games on most occassions..

Just look at the stadium in our friendly games, there's no one there.. And if they turn up, they just start chanting for (or swearing against) FB, GS or BJK :D

Infact, the fans are pretty much the side effect of it. Like the way games will be played in smaller cities etc.. They play their because they can't fill the bigger stadiums, and to let the people from these cities see the team because normally they wouldn't be able too.. (Note, Turkey is coming to Sydney! :D)

Just like the clubs play pre-season games to prepare for the competition games, the NT's do too. They don't have much time to train together and get the team working as a unit, and that's why they play friendlies whenever they can..

·
Registered
18,438 Posts
Tolga said:

The fans don't even turn out for these games on most occassions..

Hence, limitations in substituitions...;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts