Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
13,606 Posts
imo this is for the best. nothing against the guy he seems like a good player and all but i don't consider him croatian.

though i must also say that i think this is a beginning of a loooooooooooong soap opera. i am sure hns will not just say oh well...

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
He hasn't played with the Argetinian NT so, he can just come to Hrvatska, get citizenship and then play with Croatia if he's good enough. If they can give citizenship to a Serb they should give it to some guy that has Croatian blood...either that or they can marry him to a Croatian chick, though I'm not sure how much they'd like to be with a diaspora Hrvat.

·
Registered
13,606 Posts
this has nothing to do with citizenship, jure.

fifa is not the one that hands out citizenships, that's in complete control of cro government. fifa only decides who can play for which country. if you spent time in a certain country and thus gained their citizenship - no problem. if your mother/father or grandfather/grandfather is of that country and by that you gained citizenship - no problem.

cvitanich's problem is that he: a) didn't spend any time in croatia and b) his only link with croatia is his great grandfather. meaing he doesn't mee fifa's rules to play for croatia. subotic is a different case cause he was born in banja luka and both of his parents are serbs.

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
since when is banja luka in serbia ? :D
anyway, good decision by fifa, markovic showed real incompetence, the fifa rules clearly state that you need at least a grand-parent, how could he oversee that?

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
is it 100% that cvitanichs great grandfather is croat and not grandfather ?

i just wanna clear this up.

·
Registered
13,606 Posts
is it 100% that cvitanichs great grandfather is croat and not grandfather ?

i just wanna clear this up.
yes. there was an interview with srebric in sn couple of days ago where he told the tale. his great grandfather was born on brac and then emigrated to argentina in early 20th century (mm's comment: that was probably that 2nd wave of emigration which was started by the famine, disease of the vinegrape and the austrian law which allowed import of cheap italian wine). jakov cvitanic emigrated to agrentina and there they have him recorded as santiago cvitanich.

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
Cvitanic himself said about half-a-year ago that it was his great grandfather who emigrated.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
All right thanks guys. I thought it was his great grandfather but my stubborn friend kept insisting it was his grandfather. just wanted to make sure. Do you have that article youre talking about MM? I wouldnt mind checking it out.

·
Registered
13,606 Posts
nah i don't it was in the paper edition. did a search on sn page and there's no that interview on there.

ot: i noticed that a long time ago that often the best stuff in sn isn't available on their web page. at least not for free. i guess that if you pay them the hefty amount they are asking for you get everything

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
realistically though banja luka always had serb majority

It doesn't make it Serbia though. Janjevo has a Croatian majority, should we say that's Croatia?

Again, once the guy gets croatian citizenship, FIFA can't bar him from playing with the Croatian NT. I mean jeeze, look at the number of Brazillians out there playing for countries such as Croatia, Japan, and Mexico for example....Cvitanich hasn't played a senior game with Argentina and if he's good enough to play with Croatia, then he should play. I just find it to interesting that people here bitch and moan about this guy yet, we have no problem with Eduardo who has ZERO Croatian blood in him.....and I don't want to hear that so and so is just doing it for his career or that so and so really loves Croatia...seriously, do you think if he was good enough to play for Brazil, Eduardo would choose Hrvatska over Brazil? Same can go with Cvitanich and Argentina...yet, people say Eduardo je pravi Hrvat i voli Hrvatsku but Cvitanich is just doing it for himself...all it is, is the veiled hatred for the Diaspora Hrvati.

·
International
8,545 Posts
^ Then I guess I'm a self loather :D

I don't want him playing for Cro but FIFA can't decide this for him. I don't know why they're even trying to make such rulings because it only makes them look foolish.

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
^ Then I guess I'm a self loather :D

I don't want him playing for Cro but FIFA can't decide this for him. I don't know why they're even trying to make such rulings because it only makes them look foolish.
lol...that's the point, FIFA is now trying to deside this and if that's the case, they you shouldn't see Africans on the German or Polish NT...look at the US NT in the past...they had guys like Roy Weigerle (sp) playing yet, this guy had a choice to play with South Africa, Germany, and the US...South Africa because he as born there, Germany because that's where he lived most of his life...and the USA because he married an American woman...and he chose the US NT...

Though I think the funniest one was watching the WC in 94 and the guys on ESPN mentioned how all 11 starters on the Irish team weren't even born in Ireland nor ever set foot on Ireland yet, play with the NT..and the other guy (who was Irish) said simply, "If you own an Irish Setter, you qualify for the Irish team."

For me, you should have a choice to play where you want if you have a bloodline or have lived in a certain country for an extended period of time...personally, I'd play for the country of my birth...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It doesn't make it Serbia though. Janjevo has a Croatian majority, should we say that's Croatia?

Again, once the guy gets croatian citizenship, FIFA can't bar him from playing with the Croatian NT. I mean jeeze, look at the number of Brazillians out there playing for countries such as Croatia, Japan, and Mexico for example....Cvitanich hasn't played a senior game with Argentina and if he's good enough to play with Croatia, then he should play. I just find it to interesting that people here bitch and moan about this guy yet, we have no problem with Eduardo who has ZERO Croatian blood in him.....and I don't want to hear that so and so is just doing it for his career or that so and so really loves Croatia...seriously, do you think if he was good enough to play for Brazil, Eduardo would choose Hrvatska over Brazil? Same can go with Cvitanich and Argentina...yet, people say Eduardo je pravi Hrvat i voli Hrvatsku but Cvitanich is just doing it for himself...all it is, is the veiled hatred for the Diaspora Hrvati.
http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/administration/status_transfer_en_25.pdf
Those re the rules it seems !
Cvitanich dont have grandparents born in croatia
Cvitanich wasnt live in Croatia 2 years
Therefore he CANT play for Croatia.
Is it clear know?

It does not have anything with Eduardo case cause Eduardo fulfill requirement to play for Croatia.
Eduardo live in Croatia 10 years
Eduardo know Croatian language
Eduardo has Croatian wife and daughter.
He is much more Hrvat than Cvitanich who dont speak a word of Croatian, and all of his ancestors was born in Argentina except his great grandparent. He was never been in Croatia before.
Tell me one reason why he should play in Croatia team before Eduardo?

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/administration/status_transfer_en_25.pdf
Those re the rules it seems !
Cvitanich dont have grandparents born in croatia
Cvitanich wasnt live in Croatia 2 years
Therefore he CANT play for Croatia.
Is it clear know?

It does not have anything with Eduardo case cause Eduardo fulfill requirement to play for Croatia.
Eduardo live in Croatia 10 years
Eduardo know Croatian language
Eduardo has Croatian wife and daughter.
He is much more Hrvat than Cvitanich who dont speak a word of Croatian, and all of his ancestors was born in Argentina except his great grandparent. He was never been in Croatia before.
Tell me one reason why he should play in Croatia team before Eduardo?

Jeeze, you're angry.

BTW...do you think that if all things were equal and Eduardo lived as long as he did in Hrvatska, knew the language, married a Croatian woman..BUT, BOTH Brazil and Croatia called him to play, do you think that he'd chose Croatia? Doubtful...I'm just sayin.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I would not mind him cuase of that. He is a pure Brasilian with Croatian Passport. But he earn his right to play for Croatia too what isnt the matter with Cvitanich.

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
I didn't ask you that..I asked you that if all things were equal and Brazil called him up at the same time Croatia wanted to call him up, do you think Eduardo would have chosen Croatia or Brazil?

·
Registered
9,105 Posts
I didn't ask you that..I asked you that if all things were equal and Brazil called him up at the same time Croatia wanted to call him up, do you think Eduardo would have chosen Croatia or Brazil?
ill answer for u JureM since shocker is obviously avoinding the question..:smileani:probably brazil as before his injury i think he was at least good enough to make there squad..i think eduardo playing in croatia all those years he probably thought he would never get a shot at playing for brazil..brazil has so much talent they probably never even knew about eduardo..i dont have a problem with him as he as embraced our culture learned our language and even married a croatian..he is the exception and not the norm imo..

1 - 20 of 39 Posts