Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
22,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bad timing for this ´cause there is no break in the PL like in other countries. But "Best Club Team in the World" would sound good for me. ;) The other teams taking part are: Al Ahly (Africa) , Adelaide United / Gamba Osaka (Asia), Pachuca (North and Central America), Waitakere United (Oceania) and Liga de Quito (South America).

The matches will be played between Dec 11 and Dec 21.

http://www.fifa.com/clubworldcup/matches/index.html

·
Registered
33,200 Posts
We're only missing one premiership game and it's at home to Wigan. Being given the title as the world champions of clubs? I fancy some of that.

Hope we take this more seriously than the Supercup, we're always sluggish at the start of the season anyway but there's no excuses not to go for this cup.

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
World Champions of clubs sounds cool.

Untill I read the fixture list and realise I have never heard of most of them.

·
Registered
15,634 Posts
It'll be disappointing if we don't win it, to be honest. World Champions and European Champions as a title seems brilliant:)

·
Registered
22,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Untill I read the fixture list and realise I have never heard of most of them.
yeah, but that doesn´t mean these teams are not good. I´m also not sure what to think about that. Does someone remember that lousy club world cup competition we had to play after that Treble? Becks sent off and out after the group stage. As replacement for that Toyota Cup it is now surely higher rated than it once was.

·
Fourth Place Winner, February 2013 XT Photo Conte
7,783 Posts
remember Necaxa...in Brazil

arent the 2 competitions the same just basically different name

·
Registered
22,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah, they won against Real Madrid in the end. Until 2004 the "Toyota Cup" was for the winner of the match between the best European team and the best team from South America. One final and the winner was the best team in the World. The Tournament they tried out in 2000 (in that format only one time) had nothing to do with that Toyota Cup. In 2004 FIFA has created that Club Worldcup. But I think it´s sponsered by Toyota, too. And final is still in Tokyo where the other one also was.

·
Registered
41,681 Posts
Would you swap it for the league? Say we lose the Wigan game, and the one after. We're ****ed. Yes it would be nice to win both, but it's too much of a risk imo.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Its important we win this, our international trophy count is poor for a big club (6) compared with the Milans and Madrids who are around the 20 mark. Also been the only English team to win this in any form s a nice point thing to continue with. Theres no great teams in this compeition and the English media has a habit of sneering at this comp because they don't realise football exists outside Europe but some of the teams are dangerous none in our half of the draw however.

·
Registered
41,681 Posts
Good points ^.

Just wondering, did Loserpool enter this comp. after they won the CL? And if so, how did they do?

·
Registered
22,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
one more reason to win that. :D

I think not everyone has to play both matches, we could rest a few and still send a strong team. When are the league matches played that are missed because of that?

·
Registered
33,200 Posts
Strong squad for Japan

Sir Alex Ferguson has confirmed a full-strength, 23-man squad that will travel to Japan for the FIFA Club World Cup next week.

The Reds depart for Tokyo on Sunday, the day after the Premier League clash with Tottenham Hotspur on Saturday.

United boss Sir Alex had hinted that he might leave some players behind to cope with the Stoke City fixture on Boxing Day, just three days after the Reds return from the Japanese capital. But the manager's squad selection is a statement of intent - United want to win this competition and take world football's crown to go with the European title.

United enter the competition at the semi-final stage in Yokohama on Thursday 18 December (KO 10:30 CET) against one of Adelaide United (Australia), Waitakere United (New Zealand), or Gamba Osaka (Japan).

In the other half of the draw, Egyptian giants Al-Ahly fight it out with Mexicans Pachuca for the right to play LDU Quito of Ecuador in the other semi-final. The final is on Sunday 21 December (KO 10:30 CET) at the Yokahama Stadium.

Travelling squad:

Goalkeepers: Van der Sar, Kuszczak, Foster; Defenders: Neville, Evra, Ferdinand, Vidic, O'Shea, Evans, Rafael; Midfielders: Ronaldo, Anderson, Giggs, Park, Carrick, Nani, Scholes, Fletcher, Gibson; Strikers: Berbatov, Rooney, Tevez, Welbeck.

manutd.com

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
Who is going to be broadcasting this? Sky? Setanta? BBC? anyone?

·
Registered
22,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
some in Asia for sure. So there should be some streams.

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
I want to watch it on my big TV, not some crappy grainy stream.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts