Xtratime Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
68,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today FIFA announced a big change to the draw format of the upcoming World Cup. No longer will the pots be based on geography, instead they will simply seed the qualified teams 1-32 based on their FIFA Rankings

Past three World Cups...
Pot 1: Hosts + top 7 ranked teams
Pot 2: AFC/CONCACAF
Pot 3: CONMEBOL/CAF
Pot 4: Unseeded UEFA teams

2018 World Cup draw...
Pot 1: Russia + top 7 ranked teams in FIFA Rankings
Pot 2: FIFA Rankings 8-15
Pot 3: FIFA Rankings 16-24
Pot 4: FIFA Rankings 24-32

Despite the change of format, FIFA will keep the same rules for the groups. A group cannot have more than 2 European teams or multiple teams from any other confederation.

Peter Carr of ESPN did a mock seeding with the projected teams who will qualify

I actually prefer this new format, as ****** as the FIFA Rankings are its still more fair than being grouped geographically...however as you can see teams from outside of UEFA/CONMEBOL will find it tough to be in the higher pots because FIFA accounts "strength of opponent" in their rankings.

·
ChanChonChinGR
306 Posts
It's a bad addition in my opinion.
Same reason as why teams from the same Championship can't be drawn together in the Groupstage/R16/Qualifying in the ChampionsLeague/Europa League.
If it's a "race between Continental Federations" what's the point of having possible groups of 4 European teams facing each other in a WORLD cup. European teams face each other all the time in Euro/World Qualifiers and Friendlies.
Honestly bad regulation but nothing significantly bad will come out of it. The winner has to beat everyone that comes on their way to win the Cup. If you consider the cup a "winner marathon" nothing clearly changes. Whoever is there to win it will win it.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
This is probably fairer but I don't really like it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts