Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
59,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Return's on Thursday and again we'll come confident on the back of a win in the league while Sporting could only manage a 0-0 draw away. However as it's a European tie, they surely will be a bit more motivated.

I actually expect Gullit to stick with the 11 he started against Utrecht and follow the tradition of never to change a winning team. Basto will start for sure as Pascal is undergoing surgery on a foot infection while Mtiliga is still injured. The only talking points could be up front where we could start Kalou instead of Lazovic but as he only got 8 minutes yesterday :wth: , I think Danko will retain his spot while Hofs I think will also retain his spot cos of Ono only playing so little.

but what would you want to see? Ono as we saw is still very important for us but the question is whether both he and Hofs can play together in midfield. Will it be too attacking?
we could play Hofs on the right then to complement someone more defensive like Paauwe in the middle but Castelen yesterday showed that he was in a bit of form too!

Sporting will perhaps be without Polga but judging last weeks performance, that shouldn't be a too big miss for them. It's crucial our defence stays concentrated for 90 minutes as we obviously will be trying to stamp our authority and try to dominate in this leg.

My prediction: my head fears we may come short and that it'll end 1-1, but hopefully for a 2-0 with cometh the hour cometh the man, Dirk Kuijt bagging a brace :cool:

come on Feyenoord :fero:

·
Registered
22,800 Posts
I root for all dutch clubs when playing european matches so believe it or not, i got my fingers crossed for you guys :D. I'd like it if you guys would win but i have a hard head in it :D.

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
14,769 Posts
Your team is a scoring machine...but your D is like a ho spreading her legs open to score without any fuss :horny: :howler:

·
Registered
59,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Stygmata said:
I root for all dutch clubs when playing european matches so believe it or not, i got my fingers crossed for you guys :D. I'd like it if you guys would win but i have a hard head in it :D.
we'll probably have to if we keep our managers as getting a 3rd CL spot will probably be the only way for either one of us to get into the CL in the future :D

another reason Koeman should stay :stuckup: , gives you yet another legitimate reason to support us in Europe as well :pp

·
Registered
40,672 Posts
Do any of you know if this match will be shown on TV? Since there will be a lot of matches played involving Dutch teams that evening.

I expect a good game, open attacking play and hopefully we come out on top. I think Kalou is gonna get the nod this time since Lazo hasn't been all that great the last 2 matches. I wonder how Gullit will deal with having Ono around and who'll eventually lose his spot to him.

My prediction a 4-2 win for Feyenoord.

PS Jonny, your goalie reminds me of a punching b(f)ag, I wonder how many times he's gonna take it between the legs. :D

·
Registered
59,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The peoples club will be on the peoples channel Nederland 2 from 20:30 :cool: while Ajax will be on the eurosport and rtl5 at the same time. Eurosport, the sports channel for cheapskates :D

AZ starts at half past 6, also on Ned 2 btw.

·
Registered
40,672 Posts
Thanks for the info Wally, I was on the verge of making a hitlist for 'Studio ajax' members in case they would have shown the other team. :D

Gotta love these days though, Real-Juve, Barca-Chelsea and best of all Feyenoord-Sporting. :lick:

·
Registered
59,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah great week! just a bit of latest team news: Ruud is apparantly hesistating on whether to start Ono or not. If he starts with Ono, Hofs will go to the right and Castelen will play up front with Kuijt while if he doesn't, it'll be the same line-up as against Utrecht.

TBH I think Ono's still very important to us and I think it may be best to start with him and then with Castelen/Kuijt up front. If things aren't going well we can always chuck on an extra striker like Lazo or Kalou later as well. I hope Gullit goes for the Ono option since the fight in midfield will determine whether we can take the game by the scruff of the neck or not.

·
Registered
40,672 Posts
That'd be interesting to see as well, the only thing about it I don't particularly like is how Kuijt becomes our lone striker. Kuijt drops back to midfield way too often IMO for him to be a succesfull pinchhitter up front.

I would like to see Ono however, but it'd be hard to drop anyone of our midfielders, if I had to drop one, I'd throw out Paauwe and go all out.

·
Registered
59,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
As I feared, it was a bridge too far and Sporting were definitely the better side over the 2 legs. Techically definitely. Copngrats to them.

I mean just look at our midfield. :doh: Castelen and Hofs despite the consolation goal played like headless chickens. Kalou too still looked well off the pace and I was surprised he started and there were so many more I can write about. I never had the feeling we'd really take Sporting by the scruff of the neck even though the second bit of the first half where we played some football to an acceptable level. Second half was shocking though and it wasn't helped by that minority of complete morons in the stands who always ruin it for the majority. :rolleyes: what was their aim? completely rediculous and I hope the club tracks them down ASAP. We'll probably get a stadium ban I guess. thank you you pillocks!

All in all a rotten night for us in all aspects and in Dutch football in general. Thank goodness AZ at least showed some grit in coming back or it'd really have been a stinker.

·
Banned
1,806 Posts
Unless PSV does miracles in the CL(I hope they do) and AZ go all the way(un-likely), Holland is gonna have a seriously miserable amount of teams playing in Europe in a few years time. We'd be lucky to see one Dutch side in CL if things keep going this way. And, from a purely un-biased perspective, it'll probably virtually always be PSV.
Ajax and Feyenoord, (usually)rule supreme in Holland. Feyenoord, the other weeks, 2 classes above Willem II and de Graafschap. Not the best Dutch teams I know, but then we see Feyenoord play against an average side, European wise, with virtually no internationals, get out-played on their own turf.
It's sad to see all this and I wonder where it's going with us in Europe. PSV may make it another round, but then it will be their final destination, and I can't really see AZ going beyond the quaters of the UEFA Cup. Which would be a terrific result(for them) nonetheless.

·
Registered
59,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Bazman said:
Unless PSV does miracles in the CL(I hope they do) and AZ go all the way(un-likely), Holland is gonna have a seriously miserable amount of teams playing in Europe in a few years time. We'd be lucky to see one Dutch side in CL if things keep going this way.

. Not the best Dutch teams I know, but then we see Feyenoord play against an average side, European wise, with virtually no internationals, get out-played on their own turf.
it wasn't a great night for Dutch club football , but you're totally exaggerating imo as we in fact have had quite a good year when it comes to European co-efficients, in fact we've had a better season so far than our main rivals in it Greece and Portugal so there's little reason to worry that there'll only be one Dutch side in the CL in a couple of years. Only Germany, England, Italy and Spain have had a better year than us efficients-wise this season but that's always to be expected.

It's not bad going imo really when you look at the resources too our clubs got to work with too. Compared to the richer Ukrainian, Turkish, Russian and Greek sides who often have rich owners, we've still had better seasons then them even though they can pay wages for players like Rivaldo, Alex, Agahowa, Matuzalem, Vagner Love and Anelka etc etc, something our clubs could never do so all in all I think our clubs have done well despite the very disappointing ways both Ajax and Feyenoord went out of Europe last night.

the UEFA rankings btw
http://www.xs4all.nl/~kassiesa/bert/uefa/data/method3/crank2005.html

as for Sporting, Ricardo's Portugals number one, while Enakarhire is a Nigerian international too. Beto, Pedro Barbarosa and Rui Jorge have played a fair number of times for Portugal too in the past while I'm pretty sure that if Rochemback or Liedson weren't Brazilian and lets say Danish, Turkish or even German, they'd have had at least 50 caps by now too.

Anyways as for us, back to the drawing board. We lacked the technical footballing capacity as well as the maturity to really give Sporting a real run for their money or pressure them and while great technique is something you have or have not, the maturity to defend well and have good positional play is something this team can still learn. You don't need to be footballing wizards as we see for example with Bayern each year , Greece in euro 2004 and even PSV whose sucess this season has mainly been cos of their maturity. It can all be about that, and if Gullit gets the players to learn that, we'll be a big step further. Whether he'll be able to do that is another question , but we can only hope I guess. :D

·
Registered
40,672 Posts
In a bit of a hurry, but last night I think we simply lost to a better opponent. I don't know if you watched Baz, but if you did, you'd have seen how fluently the Portuguese played at times, whereas we simply couldn't get it going. Over 2 matches they were the better team and deserved to go through.

Last night Ono probably should have played from the start and like Van Hanegem said, we should have put early pressure on them. Instead we played it cool until the match had reached some sort of deadlock.

Shame about the fans since this will get us a hefty fine and perhaps even a stadiumban.

Congrats to the Sporting fans and good luck against M'borough, for me you're to favourites to go through.

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
Well Wally, I think it was a very poor evening for Dutch football. The French league is better than the HCE of course, so I could see Ajax lose against Lyon for instance, but in the past a top-3 team should not lose against a subtopper of France. The Portuguese league is pretty much equal to the HCE but if I see how you got outplayed over two legs, I place my question marks. The HCE really seems to be lacking when it matters.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts