Xtratime Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
59,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Game is on Sunday afternoon and against chivu's pal who'll be visiting de Kuip for the last time as Roda manager. They've got a weird side imo. Their best results have been away from home against AZ and most notably PSV and they're good at counterattcking so we should watch out. However Christiano will be out for them I think and they haven't won in Rotterdam for the last 10 years!

For Gullit it'll be an important game too as he'll not want to look bad as he apparantly currently has a suitor from a topclub in England wanting him :eek: :D LINK while for us, we'll be having Ghaly back too who's started training again this week. Do reckon through that Ruud will keep the same team we played against NAC in the cup and that Ghaly will have to be content in possibly making a substititute appearence in the 2nd half as the old motto goes about never changing a winning team so for Sunday:

Lodewijks
Ostlund - Saidi - Gibbs / Bahia - Basto
Castelen - Hofs - Ono - Goor
Kuijt - Kalou

Gibbs is a slight doubt but it looks like he'll make it. Wouldn't have actually minded for Gibbs to not make it. Nothing against our American friend but I'd want Bahia to get an honest chance too in his wish to get a permanent contract here.

My prediction: 3-1 to us but Roda can be a crazy side away from home so I'm not 100% sure but I'm confident nevertheless

·
Registered
40,652 Posts
If only some team would be crazy enough to relieve us from Ruud. I'd be grateful for a long, long time. :hopefull:

Agree with your line-up and I like it. I think Hofs is an even better DM than Paauwe is, even though he likes a more attacking role. This way we can fit in Ono, who will add an extra attacking impulse.

Don't really fear Roda (only Kone), so this should be another win for us. My prediction 2-0, K2 doing the scoring.

·
Registered
59,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
3-1 now after 70 or so minutes. Should have been 4 or 5-0 at HT apparantly but we missed a lot of chances and only scored twice. Roda then came back making it 2-1 and then even had a goal ruled out, but it's now 3-1 thanks to Kuijts penalty, so the games pretty much in the bag :happy:

hopefully it'll stay so for the PL game :D

got my wish too with Bahia starting :cool:

·
Registered
59,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
KUT KALOU :mad:

4-1

no bonus points in the PL :( :D

·
Registered
40,652 Posts
Excellent result! We seem to have found our form and the right formation and starting 11, even if Bahia replaced Saidi today. Also good to see Ono scoring.:)

It's just too bad that Ajax scraped through again.

·
Registered
59,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
poo poo great bicycle kick from our bearded warrior to save us in the opening minutes but after that we really should have scored more like the radio reporter said.

Good to see Ghaly back and he apparantly did well so that's good looking at competition for places and also looking at that April will see us play AZ, A:yuck:Z and the boeren in the cup. I actually expect Ghaly to win the little competition vs Hofs cos he does have a better eye and his physique obviously helps, but it doesn't mean that our streetfighter from Arnhem will end up rotting on the bench, far from it, he'll still get his time imo.

What is worrying though is that without playing brilliantly, we're pretty much brushing away sides from the sub-top by 2 or 3 goals. The gap looks to be as big as it was and it probably is increasing.

But to close off, great news with Dirk Kuijt signing an extension to his contract to 2009 :happy: he'll definitely stay now and except perhaps Ono, I don't think we'll be selling anyone in the summer. Good news as we'll need to keep the team together and let them play together for longer to be sucessful (hopefully like AZ). No use to constantly be chopping and changing.

·
Registered
7,919 Posts
good save by ostlund but i would have liked to see that one go in as stupid as that may sound :( it was a nice move, he deserved a goal.

·
Registered
40,652 Posts
:D

You're definately one of a kind Monte. :star:

Good win, even though we didn't play all that well. Ono's goal wasn't as spectacular as I had pictured it in my head. Nice goals by Castelen and Kalou and good to see Dirk sign a new contract, although that speech made it pretty clear that he won't really be here til 2009.

Ghaly and Hofs should indeed compete for that DM spot, no more Paauwe!

And by all means, let the gap increase Wally, why should we care about NAC, Roda and alike.

·
Registered
59,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well after seeing us brush aside Utrecht to only be easily kept at bay by Sporting a few days later makes me want more stronger opponents to spar with in the the league, but I guess it'll always be a dream as the top 3 (plus AZ now for the time being) have always been miles and miles ahead of the rest.

·
Registered
40,652 Posts
I understand your point but I don't think it's that simple. This Roda beat PSV earlier on this season. You'll always have matches where teams like Roda overachieve and matches where the big 3 play way beneath their level, see Feyenoord and Ajax this season. To be fair, the big 3 have far greater means to cope with than the rest and therefore they should always end ahead of them.

AZ is proving that nothing is impossible with a good overall organization. They're definately ambitious, as proven by bringing in Louis to replace Co and with the new stadium coming who knows, we might even have a 4th topper.

·
Registered
59,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Yeah true in a way, Utrecht, Heerenveen and Groningen look to be following a good route too for the future with transfers and plans for their stadium + fanbase, so hopefully they'll continue improving as well and perhaps distance themselves from the rest.

Vitesse I'm sure about though. They look a potential good sub-topper but even with their good signings, somethings not right imo

For us I guess to really compete for the top prizes and have a solid foundation for that each year, same old story, we either need to make the CL or perhaps make a gamble in the transfer market. Maybe after next season if Ali B proves to be good, we can sell Kuijt but even without CL football for the last couple of years, our budgets nearing PSVs and Ajaxs. I think we overtook PSV already last year but that probably will be undone by what they did this year.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts