Xtratime Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
59,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
KO Sunday 14:30

With PSV slipping last week, the race for a CL place is wide open again and this week sees high flying Roda visit Rotterdam. They definitely will be pumped up after their 6-1 demolition of Willem II last week and they have shown recently that they aren't scared of the big 3 with a win against PSV in Eindhoven and scoring twice in the Amsterdam Arena a few weeks back. The man who has taken the main spotlight at Roda after Anastastiou's move to Ajax, Aruna Kone will also be wanting to show potential suitors Schalke 04 what he's worth!

Feyenoord will have Patrick Paauwe back in defence after he served out a one game ban but the game will come too early for skipper Kees Van Wonderen who only resumed training a few days ago. Zoetebier will also keep his place since Lodewijks is still injured. Opa Schreuder is back however but he should be content with a place on the bench. Other than that the team should only see one change with Paauwe coming in for Gyan.

-------------Zoetebier----------------

Song-Vd Berg-Paauwe-Mtiliga

Smolarek-Ghaly-Ono-Lurling

----Kuijt-----Buffel--------------

Should be a good game and I expect quite a few goals. Can't say for sure that we'll win but I got hope. Hopefully a good 3-2 win with us scoring the last minute. :cool:

Also come on Ajax this week! :fero: as they take on AZ round Sunday lunchtime.

·
Registered
59,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Excellent weekend :happy: :happy: with us winning and PSV slipping up again. We're now only one point behind them after our 3-0 win against Roda!

We started hesitantly against Roda but unlike against RKC we took our chances. Last week we had 11 chances and scored only once. This week we had 7 chances and scored 3 times!

Man of the match had to be Thomas Buffel who was invloved in a lot of the play and he started the parade with a well taken goal after a little slip up from the Roda defence.

Our small more nippier attackers caused Rodas rather tall and slow defenders (Luijpers and Brouwers) a lot of problems and this resulted in the second goal after Brouwers fell on top of the ball and handles it in the penalty area. Kuijt cooly converted the resulting penalty. Before that we had an unjustly ruled out Shinji Ono which was deemed to be offside. However the penalty decision might have been a bit harsh so it was evened out.

In the second half we took full control and notably Ghali, Buffel & Lurling did well. The third goal was from Smolarek after a long ball from Ono who also seems to have found some form. Roda were slightly disappointing up front since they had earlier this season beaten AZ 5-1 away from home and not to forget PSV 2-1 in Eindhoven but Kone, Sergio and Sonko all weren't sharp and failed to capitalise on the few chances they got from us.

Mtiliga will unfortunately miss the next game after a yellow card and he should be replaced by opa de Nooijer next week. Hopefully Mtiliga will be put in the team the week next after his good performances and if we are to have an eye on the future.
Song btw also seems to be improving.

Well we're now 1 point behind PSV and probably 2 if you look at their far superior goal difference. The next 3 games for us (NAC away then Ajax at home then Utrecht away) are all very tough games and they will determine our future. PSV will be having Robben, Van Bommel and Rommedahl back next week so they'll be back to full strength but they will have the two ties with Newcastle to contend with later this month. Even though the Eindhovenaren are stuttering, I still consider PSV favourites at this moment in time but all is possible in this crazy end to the season. I certainly am enjoying it and who would have thought after the 3-0 defeat in de Kuip against AZ that we'd now have a realistic chance of grabbing second spot?! I certainly didn't. :D You can only say bravo to the boys and Bert for continuing to be optimisitic and not throwing in the towel!

http://www.nos.nl/sport/artikelen/2004/3/28/28031436lindenberghbezorgtazeenpunttegenajax.html for the goals btw. (feyenoord - roda jc enkele beelden)

·
Registered
40,650 Posts
:D

Second place has become our target!

Not because we're playing superb football, not because our team has all of a sudden become a well-balanced side. No, it's because we are Feyenoord and we never give up!

I agree on the MOM, Buffel is an outstanding player who IMO is already superior to JDT. Ghaly once again played well and it seems he's taken Schreuder's spot, a decision I applaud. Our midfield is far more creative than PSV's and I expect that to be our strenght til the end of the season (not counting on any injuries of course).

We have a really tough schedule coming up but I dare say that if we beat NAC next weekend we'll beat Ajax as well the week after that.
As I said Feyenoord isn't playing it's best football ever, but neither is it's competition and that might be the biggest reason why we could still end up in CL. And let's hope we do! :cool:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts