Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
55,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
festival de cannes 2004.

the 56s festival of cannes will be open.

quentin tarentino is the président.
seems it gonna be a good one.

here is the site official (in english) :
http://www.festival-cannes.com/index.php?langue=6002

feel free to comment the selection if you know some of the directors:)

·
Registered
55,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
look at the poster of the festival, i like it a lot!:)

·
Registered
859 Posts
Yeah, great poster. I can't wait to hear about the motorcyvle diaries by Walter Salles (about Che guevarra) and 2046 (from the director of In the mood for love and Chungking Express, Kar Wai Wong). I have not heard anything about 2046, all I know is that the cast is great it is one of the biggest budgest in chinese filmhistory, the cast+director is great and it takes place in the future. The movie about Che I have ONLY heard great reviews and what else can you expect from Walter Salles? Also starring the new mexican star, Gael García Bernal.

Other movies I want to know more about:

Innocence - Oshii Mamoru (Japan)
Fahrenheit 9/11 - Michael Moore (USA)
La Vie Est Un Miracle (Zivot Je Cudo) - Emir Kusturica (Serbia/Montenegro)
Old Boy - Park Chan-wook (Korea)
Comme Une Image - Agnès Jaoui (France)

·
Registered
55,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well geert, i hope i will be able to follow it as much as i would like.
i'm very busy this time.
but you will be informed, i promise:)

pedro almodovar will make the open day with "mala education".
i heard it's his more personal movie.

bob, a french cinema journalist has been enthousiastic about a korean director, sorry for the spell because i didn't remember exactly, it must be something like "ki duk". do you know him?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
mali said:
bob, a french cinema journalist has been enthousiastic about a korean director, sorry for the spell because i didn't remember exactly, it must be something like "ki duk". do you know him?
He is one of the best directors in Korea. :happy: Recently he won the 'best director award' in 2004 Berlin International:eek:

Most his movies are dark sided. Focused on human's cruelty, and underground life. And most of his movies are not that 'popular' because of his 'agressive style of movie', (especially women don't like his movie:rolleyes: ), but acclaimed by many critics. :cool:

Anyway, it's good to see 2 Korean films in Cannes: LA FEMME EST L¡¯AVENIR DE L¡¯HOMME and OLD BOY. :happy:

·
Registered
55,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i saw some extraits of his movies and i must say that the pics are beautiful.
apparently the women in his movies do have not a great destiny, i have seen a lot of pics of naked women dead in water.
the french critic said this guy is one of the most talentuous director on the world.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
mali said:
i saw some extraits of his movies and i must say that the pics are beautiful.
apparently the women in his movies do have not a great destiny, i have seen a lot of pics of naked women dead in water.
the french critic said this guy is one of the most talentuous director on the world.
That's why he is always attacked by Feminist group in Korea. :rolleyes: I remember he said "violence and sex are the body language that can express what the words cannot do"

Good to hear that Korean Director is recognized by Foreign critics.:)

·
Registered
55,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i heard his interview, seems he got a great intelligence and i agreed with what his said about sex and violence.

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
seolkihyun, thats right! He's a great director. One of the most inventive directors to come out of Asia, although considerably less humanistic than, say, Satyajit Ray.

I think this is gonna be the best festival in years. Its themed "LIFE IS A MIRACLE!" as a tribute to Emir Kusturica's new film, who is now officially my favourite director :) also almodovar's new film.. you won't believe how eager I am to see that one! other than that there's so many more: Innocence by Mamoru Guka Omarova's Schizo, Kiarostami's new film, Comme une image, Motorcylce Diaries, etc, etc

·
Registered
55,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
bob, where is my thread which call people to talk about the films of their country in the festival de cannes thread?:confused:
because i'm certain people don't think to check le festival de cannes thread for different reasons, but it's an international festival, i'm sure it could be interesting to hear people about directors of their country:)

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
oh yeah, lili, I removed your thread... but I made this one sticky :) nothing personal, I did it for aesthetic purposes. you see, its always dissappointing to see a thread with 33 views and no replies :D as for this thread.. well, if people have something to say, they will say it. I think you should be co-mod of this forum. would you like to? :) 'cause Michel has resigned and I'm gonna be kinda busy over the next few months. your threads always generate the most responses, so I think it would be good idea!

·
Registered
55,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i understand bob:)
but i didn't expect answers to this thread, i opened it because you know like me that people when they read the title of the thread will tell themselves :
"well, a boring french thread"
but you know like me it isn't, it's an international topic and i'm afraid people could have something to say if they are not scary by the title;)

as for the management for this forum, you know i would love do it, but i'm not as knowledgeable at you and normally, i will be also busy.
and it's better for me to not have access to the management forum;)

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
I find the thought of talking about threads inside a thread profoundly disturbing.

I read a bit about the Che movie, and wow, it really seems interesting :)

·
Registered
55,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
bah, it was a question of communication, i'm strong enough with that you know;)

·
Registered
55,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
wonder which movie tarantino will choose....
for sure it will be a film which rocks:cool:

·
Registered
55,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
festival de cannes under the threat of strikes:eek:

merde:mad:

·
Registered
14,672 Posts
Yes it would be sad if it was cancelled, but the solution is a decent statute for the protesters, not sending a facist group of riot police on them as f*cking Raffarin has decided.

·
Registered
55,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yes, you're right geert.
but i'm still mad:mad:

·
Registered
55,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well, 2 days to go.
i hope all will be ok, crosses fingers.