Xtratime Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Darth Maul
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has hit out at the club's wages policy, claiming that tight purse-strings at Old Trafford are still preventing him signing the world's top players.

A frustrated Ferguson laid down a marker to United's incoming chairman, likely to be Peter Kenyon, and the club's plc chief Martin Edwards with his latest attack on the Premiership champions' fiscal arrangements.

'The only way Manchester United can improve the team is by buying the Zinedine Zidanes and Luis Figos of this world, in which case it is out of our financial reach,' said Ferguson. 'We're looking at one or two things but it's all about money.

'It's difficult finding players who are good enough for here at our wage level. It's something that annoys you at times but there is nothing you can do about it.'

Ferguson's comments come in spite of the fact that United smashed their pay ceiling last season to give skipper Roy Keane a new contract worth a reported £52,000 a week.

They are also unlikely to go down well with United's paymasters.

The big difference with the wages of top-earner Keane and the likes of Zidane and Figo is that the top foreign stars have their tax paid for them by their clubs, leaving them in a much stronger financial position.

The latest storm at Old Trafford, however, will not stop United making a move for Inter Milan's Argentina midfielder Javier Zanetti.

The 26-year-old, who scored against England in the 1998 World Cup, would cost around £11million, although United have denied that their England star Paul Scholes could be heading in the opposite direction.

European club champions Real Madrid and Barcelona have also stated their interest in signing Zanetti and the player himself has previously said a move to the Nou Camp would suit him.

Discussions have already taken place between Inter and United officials, however, and Ferguson must now be the favourite to sign him.

·
Premium Member
27,068 Posts
For man utd to remain competive they will need to spend the $$$. Spanish & Italian clubs will start to drain the EPL champions of their talent. Beckham and scholes have been eyed by both Spanish and Italian giants. While loosing
talent Man U. will not spend which is not a positive sign for Man U. supporters.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Ferguson was wrong. MU can't sign any top player like Figo, Toldo or Zidane, not because of money, but Premier League is not the top soccer in the world. Such top players will go to England unless they get older and lose their top form or they want to retire in England.
Also, anyone (except those MU or England fnas) who only know a little about soccer, he or she should know Figo is much better than Beckham. Figo can play in the left, centre or right midfield, good at both right & left legs and with great skill, but Beckham can only show his ability in the right midfield.

[Edited by mark wong on 15-07-2000 at 07:17]

G

·
0 Posts
Can't afford players lik Zidane or Figo!?

Isn't Man. U. the richest club in the world?
The club that receives the more income per year?
And they can't sign a decent player?

This surprises me alot!
Manchester has had, basically, the same team for about 5 or more years!
And this has produced some titles, but not that many.
Many clubs with much less income buy great players almost every year, and produce great results. Look at Lazio, and Barcelona.

Even Chealse and Arsenal buy more and better players.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Not won allot of titles!!!!! Have you followed the EPL in the nineties?
Have you not heard of the Treble?
When is the last time Lazio or Barcelona won the champions league.
I recall Barca in the early 90's and don't recall Lazio winning it at all. The only major european competition Lazio has won lately, was the old cup winners cup last year, which was considered third rate among the competitions and one scudetto this year. I don't think serie A fans consider winning the Italian cups as Important as winning the scudetto or a major european trophies.
As for Barca, Primeria trophies are ok, but I know Barca fans would give their left #$#@ for a Champions league trophy, just read the Barca board when Real won the CL.
Both those clubs are in the top ten $ clubs in the world. Barca was #2 last time I checked.

Get your facts straight before posting those kind of statements.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Unless one thinks Sir Alex is crazy, I don't see how a statement like his can be argued.

Do you see your team being able to win another ChL with Yorke and Cole? You were desperate to get a European forward, but got unlucky with van Nistelrooy. Nothing ever since.
And how do you rate your defense with Stam (the only decent one), the Neville Bros, Irwing, Silvestre and Henning Berg (he is up for sale anyway)? Spare me please!
As for Zanetti, he has stated himself that he prefers by far to play in Spain, coming to your team will be his last resort.
The thing you've managed to do well this season (unlike the last one) is to get yourselves a good goalie.

Face it : Sir Alex tells the truth. Your Midfield alone may be enough for Premiership (and this remains to be seen next year, since there's not going to be a FIFA World Cup for clubs in Brazil) but it's not enough for Europe anymore. Why? Because the market is flying year by year while your team remains stable.

·
Registered
11,477 Posts
Gigi should have mentioned Milan, Juventus and Real Madrid which are some of the most spending teams for several years back in time. And definitly the most succesful. MU have one (non domestic) title in the last years. If you count domestic titles G.Rangers or Rosenborg is probably the best teams in the world, with their recent domestic domination.

I admire MU youth policy which is great, but to have an really great team you should blend it with some top players.

L

·
0 Posts
I guess it's kinda true... the coats don't hand out enough money but with a team like United who needs it right? I hate to admit it as they're not my fav. team or anything but results don't lie...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts